Jared Allen rips Detroit

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You live where you please. Saying others who choose not to live there are "hiding there heads in the sand" is the problem.

i live in the city of Buffalo, within stumbling distance of several good bars, including Coles, and several good pizza joints, including Casa and La Nova.

jw

If this is what you meant when you said the suburbs are "inhumane," you may want to get out more. Or get a new dictionary.

nope, think i got it right.

quick check of the on-line dictionary came up with this: "lacking and reflecting lack of pity or compassion."

that pretty much sums up the mood of suburbanites in regards to us urban folk -- or at least some on this thread.

jw

So it's not suburbia, but exurbia, but only to the edge of rural countryside? Got it.

why do you nitpick so. is it beyond logical reason to note that most people for most of history have either lived in a city or lived on farms. the suburbs are something manufactured for mankind over the last century. really, did i need to explain that.

i don't understand why it's so difficult to make a point, and then have to go on and defend the minutia of it because it's unacceptable to concede anything on this end of the board. man ...

jw

Edited by john wawrow

quick check of the on-line dictionary came up with this: "lacking and reflecting lack of pity or compassion."

that pretty much sums up the mood of suburbanites in regards to us urban folk -- or at least some on this thread.

Yup, because we're the ones who have taken to calling people's choices where to live "inhumane." Never mind that your descriptions of suburban life are infantile caricatures worthy of amateur movies shown in the afternoons on CurrentTV.

Sorry that the Industrial Revolution and advancements in transportation and technology have upended the utopian city life.

Yup, because we're the ones who have taken to calling people's choices where to live "inhumane." Never mind that your descriptions of suburban life are infantile caricatures worthy of amateur movies shown in the afternoons on CurrentTV.

Sorry that the Industrial Revolution and advancements in transportation and technology have upended the utopian city life.

You have no sense of culture. I suggest you thumb through Oliver Twist. It paints a mesmerizing picture of the glorious city life prior to the moral decay and outright depravity that is the suburbs.

nope, think i got it right.

I live dab smack in the middle of the suburbia you find so inhumane.

In the house to my left is a couple in their mid-50s who are foster parents to two young sisters, five and seven, whose deadbeat parents are in jail and rehab after they were found sharing a single motel room in Long Beach with four other families selling drugs. My little neighborhood of friends include police officers, a sheriff's deputy, doctors, nurses, pastors, a number of people who just finished yet another Habitat for Humanity project. Two of my neighbors have daughters in the Peace Corps. Our veteran's memorial is dedicated to hundreds of people from our town who have lost their lives serving our country. My wife volunteers at both my son's school and the church, which among other things has a house it was donated which they turned into a shelter for single and abused mothers.

When someone in the neighborhood is hurt or in trouble, the neighbors are there, organizing meals, taking kids to/from school, taking out trash or mowing lawns. You can't possibly imagine the amount of effort put out in my neighborhood to help each other every day.

Yes, sometimes I have to go to Big 5 to get a mouthguard for my son to play flag football, or go to a grocery store that has 37 different types of cheeses, with an elderly woman handing out samples as you walk by, or we jump into a Chili's one night to have a beer with some friends, or buy 87 rolls of toilet paper at Costco, or the ladies get together to play Bunco, or we sit in the backyard making ribs while we hear the high school marching band off in the distance in between referee whistles and parents cheering.

But other than all of that, I think your characterization of suburbia is nuts-on accurate! No compassion. Totally inhumane. Disgusting to the core.:thumbsup:

In the house to my left is a couple in their mid-50s who are foster parents to two young sisters, five and seven, whose deadbeat parents are in jail and rehab after they were found sharing a single motel room in Long Beach with four other families selling drugs. My little neighborhood of friends include police officers, a sheriff's deputy, doctors, nurses, pastors, a number of people who just finished yet another Habitat for Humanity project. Two of my neighbors have daughters in the Peace Corps. Our veteran's memorial is dedicated to hundreds of people from our town who have lost their lives serving our country. My wife volunteers at both my son's school and the church, which among other things has a house it was donated which they turned into a shelter for single and abused mothers.

When someone in the neighborhood is hurt or in trouble, the neighbors are there, organizing meals, taking kids to/from school, taking out trash or mowing lawns. You can't possibly imagine the amount of effort put out in my neighborhood to help each other every day.

Yes, sometimes I have to go to Big 5 to get a mouthguard for my son to play flag football, or go to a grocery store that has 37 different types of cheeses, with an elderly woman handing out samples as you walk by, or we jump into a Chili's one night to have a beer with some friends, or buy 87 rolls of toilet paper at Costco, or the ladies get together to play Bunco, or we sit in the backyard making ribs while we hear the high school marching band off in the distance in between referee whistles and parents cheering.

But other than all of that, I think your characterization of suburbia is nuts-on accurate! No compassion. Totally inhumane. Disgusting to the core.:thumbsup:

That's nice and all but how is it as romantic as Five Points and Bill the Butcher?

Looks like jw doesn't get along well with suburbanites. Reminds me of a story I heard about a small town in Maine. Old man sitting on the porch of the general store, chewing tobacco and watching the traffic on the main road go by. Car with out of state plates pulls in with a young couple inside. Couple get out and approach the old man.

Young man-"Hello sir, we have thought of moving here and wonder what the people are like?"

Old man-"what were they like where you come from?"

Young man-"Oh the best. Wonderful people, always willing to give you the shirt off their back,with you good times and bad."

Old man-"Well thats just what you'll find here."

Some hours later same thing. Car pulls in, another young couple get out.

Young man-"Hello sir, we have thought of moving here and wonder what the people are like?"

Old man-"what were they like where you come from?"

Young man-"Miserable. All backstabbers only looking out for themselves. We can't wait to get out of there."

Old man-"Well thats just what you'll find here."

• 2 weeks later...

at the very least, i can see why you need 87 rolls of toilet paper. :pirate:

jw

at the very least, i can see why you need 87 rolls of toilet paper. :pirate:

jw

Funny, but just the other late afternoon I took a break from work and stood looking out the front living room window, and there was our neighbor's son with his head buried in his folded arms while he leaned against the huge coral tree in my front yard. In the cul de sac was my seven-year-old son and a couple of his friends running around trying to find some place to hide as the kid in my yard yelled "Ready or not, here I come!" He spent a few minutes running around, looking behind cars, trees, bushes, before he'd find one friend and give chase as the hider tried to make his way to the "home base" that is my coral tree.

And I thought to myself...I'm not sure how much more of this inhumanity I can possibly take. What horror could possibly follow this lack of compassion?

And then it started. Low at first. Getting louder. And before I knew it, it was upon us.

Yes. That's right. An ice cream truck.

It was horrible. :lol:

Edited by LABillzFan

Funny, but just the other late afternoon I took a break from work and stood looking out the front living room window, and there was our neighbor's son with his head buried in his folded arms while he leaned against the huge coral tree in my front yard. In the cul de sac was my seven-year-old son and a couple of his friends running around trying to find some place to hide as the kid in my yard yelled "Ready or not, here I come!" He spent a few minutes running around, looking behind cars, trees, bushes, before he'd find one friend and give chase as the hider tried to make his way to the "home base" that is my coral tree.

And I thought to myself...I'm not sure how much more of this inhumanity I can possibly take. What horror could possibly follow this lack of compassion?

And then it started. Low at first. Getting louder. And before I knew it, it was upon us.

The "Beave" and "Fonzi" have man crushes on you for that. If I were to compliment you on your post, I'm sure I would hear more from the Flying Barking Orderly that was born in 1960. My only concern is that the ice cream truck maybe only had a choice of no fat/no sugar/no taste for the kids.

No way. Good Humor. My personal favorite: chocolate eclair. Best ice cream on a stick ever.

Absolute classic. Back in my ice cream truck days, I would sometimes wander and buy a Choco Taco instead, especially if I had some extra coin.

Of course, when I was 14 or so, I learned a whole new meaning to "Choco Taco." My memories of childhood haven't been the same since.

Edited by LeviF91

Did he drive it in the city, where compassion and pity ruled, or in the suburbs, where inhumanity was everywhere?

Actually their routes were sort of in both. The problem with the business that my father didn't take into account was that up North, in heavily populated centers, the icecream trucks could stay parked in certain areas and the business would come to them, in other words they didn't have to drive that far. The problem is that we lived in North Carolina, where it is much hotter and they would have to drive longer distances and it was a nightmare to upkeep those huge diesel monsters. They were constantly breaking down.

But anyway, I know you meant that as a dig at JW, carry on.

Edited by Magox

That shows a startling lack of compassion for the city youth who play hide and seek with bullets.

Detroit is a product of much what's wrong with today's suburban cul-de-sac culture, and compounded by the off-shoring of manufacturing jobs.

So the problems of the inner cities have nothing to do with the behavior of the people in the inner cities, and instead, have everything to do with corporations and people that don't live in cities?

Just wondering....so that we can accurately measure, and then quantify the blame: how far must one live outside of the city, and how far does the boundary go beyond that, to be part of the suburban "problem". For example, do people in Lancaster count...but people in Alden not count? And, how many goods/services must a corporation deliver, build in, sell to a city in order to receive blame or not?

And, there's that word again: culture. I wonder, which culture is more destructive for cities? Suburban, or the one that says "I must go after anyone who looks at me or my B word the wrong way, and it's not my fault that I do bad things, it's the fact that we didn't receive enough welfare when I was young ". :lol: So silly it's laughable.

See, it's not that we are racists, it's that you're a moron.

Perhaps you need to go ask the Mayor of Philadelphia whether being an asssshole, his words, is OK because we didn't spend enough money on being "compassionate" towards the people who choose that behavior.

with all due respect. i don't see myself as a hard-left guy, and don't encourage comparisons with Keith Olbermann, whom i watched ocassionally, and thought was a good ranter, but ultimately a blow-hard. as for the DailyKos, don't think i've ever read it. i take no offense though.

as for this money-grubbing stuff, let me explain.

i take no issue with people making money, especially when they come by it honestly. it's to be encouraged.

what's difficult to understand is how those in positions of power are capable of rigging the system in their favor -- whether its in banking, medicine, real estate, insurance racketeers what have you -- to make a buck for the pure necessity of making a buck, without delivering any service of value, treating it all like some kind of ponzi scheme at the expense of people who could full well use the money, whether its the poor and helpless, the elderly and sick or simply the

corporations who take out policies on their employees in order to make a fast buck.

You really don't understand, do you? Why would conservatives, who hate people who don't earn things for themselves, support corruption? Look, most of us a small business owners, right? Why do you think we have anything in common with, or support these clowns in any way?

Perhaps it's time that you realize that we are every bit as much a part of corporate America as they are. So when you support things that go after them, without making the distinction, all they do is hire more lawyers, while we end up getting massively F'ed. Great plan, though, because then you get to self-congratulate on "teaching us a lesson".

and i'm not talking about the doctor down the street, or the real estate broker or the local teller. it's the money-changers and the greedhounds, who

Yes you are....tithead. You are, and you don't even know it, do you? No wonders what you say is so moronic. You don't know any better, do you?

Obamacare F's us over, because we can't afford to hire a lobbyist who will personally see to it that we get a waiver, unlike those who can afford to be a big Obama donor. The difference is: I don't need your law to tell me that buying insurance for my people is a good idea. I already knew that, thanks. However, I do need to be able to afford it, and Obamacare has done nothing but increase premiums, and cause every single person I have talked to about expansion $ to tell me "not until we find out what happens with Obamacare". So again, thanks for your "help".

Dodd Frank puts serious compliance trouble on small banks, the ones where most of us(not me) get our financing from? And, again, the big banks who are the culprits, brush aside your regulations like the minor annoyance they are, or move more operations off-shore, while the small guys get the shaft, and then, so do we.

is no nobility in this, or liberal vs. conservative ideology. it's plain wrong and part of a corrupt system which has made us so accustomed to this crime that we are simply led to shrug our shoulders, look the other way and say, "it's the poor people's fault. they're the ones who are ripping us off."

jw

You are correct, so when can we count on you getting the rest of the story correct? I'd like to know how many more times you're going to support completely f'ing us over between now and then, because then I can plan.

Edit: Actually the single best way to get the economy moving again would be to know the answer to this. Just tell us exactly how many retarded policies we can expect, and their exact effects, and then we will be able to accurately forecast our businesses and start hiring/selling/planning accordingly.

it's not anger. it's simply poking holes at the hypocrisy of those who say they have compassion -- well then it must be so -- and then proceed to show they don't understand the meaning of the word by dictating terms without any direction or regard.

"i want people to be able to support themselves and have a sense of self worth and self respect."

well, who doesn't. mere words won't make it so.

and who's to say some of the people you target don't have a sense of self worth or self respect. is it up to you to determine this? and you're right, no one in poverty is attempting to improve their lives. that's a generalization that really shouldn't dignify a response. so sorry for that.

jw

And, as we've seen, the liberal methods of the last 50 years since LBJ and his nonsense haven't made it so either. You know what else isn't going to make it so? Calling people you don't know names, or questioning their motives, for accurately pointing out that liberal methods suck.

Wawrow: the plan sucks, it doesn't work, time to put the shovel down. Now, are you going to pull a Krugman and tell us that the only reason it failed is because it wasn't big enough? Or, are you going to try to salvage some scrap of integrity and intellectual honesty in this thread, and admit that what we are doing, in general, ALL of it, isn't working.

We need new methods.

We do not need people who refuse to deal with reality running around calling everyone else names because they can't deal with the obvious. And it doesn't matter anyway. We are OUT OF MONEY to spend, so even if you wanted to continue this ridiculous effort, we can't.

We need new methods. Whenever the left gets done talking, this will remain the case. Call me a thousand names, we still need new methods.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

it's not anger. it's simply poking holes at the hypocrisy of those who say they have compassion -- well then it must be so -- and then proceed to show they don't understand the meaning of the word by dictating terms without any direction or regard.

"i want people to be able to support themselves and have a sense of self worth and self respect."

well, who doesn't. mere words won't make it so.

Mere words don't make it so...but my actions prove every day I want that.

and who's to say some of the people you target don't have a sense of self worth or self respect. is it up to you to determine this? and you're right, no one in poverty is attempting to improve their lives. that's a generalization that really shouldn't dignify a response. so sorry for that.

I don't target anyone; I resist the idea that it's the government's responsibility to provide people a sense of self worth and respect.