Jared Allen rips Detroit

Guarantee you he's forced to apologize.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/12/jared_allen_if_i_had_to_live_i.html

"I don't like going to Detroit," Allen said. "I'll be honest, it's gloomy, it sucks. Everything is brown and then there is snow on the ground. There's like Brownstones everywhere and I'm like, 'Awesome.' I don't know, I couldn't do it. If I had to live in Detroit, I think I'd just drown myself in the river that was across the way.

"I'm not trying to be mean, but it's just depressing when I go there," he continued. "There's two cities like I don't go out to eat or don't do anything. It's Detroit and New Orleans. New Orleans looks like I'm driving through a third-world country every time I get off the plane, I'm like, 'Oh, flak jacket.' I'm trying to get down. I'm like, 'Ah, crap, I can't carry my gun here. This sucks.'"

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, snap. You don't dis Detroit. That's the symbol of down and out but coming back. Just like Summer of Recovery and Summer of Recovery 2.0.

And to make matters worse, he bad mouthed New Orleans. You can't do that, they had a hurricane several years ago and George W Bush hates black people

Doesn't really matter that he's right about Detroit. I've never been to New Orleans, so I don't know if he's right about there

Ripping Detroit-which is verboten by the PC police. You have to act like Detroit was a natural disaster and not the end result of liberal policies. I'm predicting he gets major fallout from this.

Detroit's a dump. What's wrong with saying that?

Or is this just you getting ridiculously defensive about your racism again?

Detroit's a dump. What's wrong with saying that?

Or is this just you getting ridiculously defensive about your racism again?

Well if I had you, buftex and booster monitoring this site 24/7 to analyze the real meaning of my posts I would get a bit defensive myself.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Ripping Detroit-which is verboten by the PC police. You have to act like Detroit was a natural disaster and not the end result of liberal policies. I'm predicting he gets major fallout from this.

sorry, let me jump in. having grown up across the river from Detroit, i have certain insights into what makes the Motor City tick. and i don't unnerstand this reference to the PC police.

jared allen ain't the first to diss Detroit. in fact, it was quite fashionable in the 1980s for the Toronto Star to compared Toronto to Detoit to reinforce to blind Torontonians that their freaking city was superior.

Detroit is not a "natural disaster" or something borne out of "liberal policies."

and you're a buffoon to go down that road.

Detroit is a product of much what's wrong with today's suburban cul-de-sac culture, and compounded by the off-shoring of manufacturing jobs.

why not just lump Buffalo and Cleveland into the Detroit conversation, because there's not much difference here nor there.

the downfall of Detroit is a lesson in many things gone wrong: and greed and fear is much at the heart of it. it's a moral story of foolishness and ineptness, much like Buffalo where they built a goddam highway along the waterfront to eat up much of the best land. but that's not all. there was a white flight to amherst, which brought upon a suburban entitlement superiority.

thankfully, there are cities that avoided this. NYC comes to mind. but to suggest that this is a political problem is akin to suggesting that moon is made of cheese or the world is flat or newt has a moral affinity.

jw

NYC comes to mind.

Holy oversimplification. Try moving the world's financial district to another city and see just how long NYC stays relevant.

There are MANY symptoms of the downfall of Detroit. Liberal policies are certainly one of them. Dismissing them because they are part of your political belief system is as dishonest as the "conservatives" who pretend they don't have a dog in the fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy oversimplification. Try moving the world's financial district to another city and see just how long NYC stays relevant.

really, Darin? let's try that. ... wait, let me hold my breath. ... i thought better of you than to get brought into this blind hyperbole.

jw

Expand on these thoughts please.

people left the inner city, allowing the core to rot. i live in Buffalo. i refuse to live in the suburbs because they are the safe-haven for the entitled.

jw

people left the inner city, allowing the core to rot. i live in Buffalo. i refuse to live in the suburbs because they are the safe-haven for the entitled.

jw

And yet the most entitled people I've me in my life, happen to live in NYC ...

Any way you could expand a little on how liberal policies are responsible for the downfall of Detroit? I don't think it really has much to do with either party or political belief system so much as the moving of manufacturing over seas.

Any way you could expand a little on how liberal policies are responsible for the downfall of Detroit? I don't think it really has much to do with either party or political belief system so much as the moving of manufacturing over seas.

And whose policies caused that, you ninny? Do you see any connection between high percentage, labor union heavy rust belt cities and the loss of manufacturing?

jw

Not wanting to live under the constant threat of violent crime makes one entitled?

Long story short-

1) Unions driving manufacturing jobs overseas-liberal policy

2) Government worker pensions require huge taxes in Detroit/Michigan-liberal policy

3) Welfare monetizes single motherhood leading to an out of control generation of inner city youths-liberal policy.