December Movies: Tintin, War Horse, Dragon, MI:4, & SH2.....

Mark Vader

I wanted to like this as much as many critics and audiences apparently do. But I think I'm finally done with any movies that have Tom Cruise in them. I might have liked this if not for that.

I think Tom Cruise is a major flake, but I tend to like the movies he's in...I'm sure I'll see this one, but I definitely understand where you're coming from.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i try really hard to disassociate actors with their personal side...if i didn't i'd never listen to REM or watch 30 Rock....Tom Cruise is one of those...love his professional work...when he's not pretending for a living...he's a frigging tool....

I think Tom Cruise is a major flake, but I tend to like the movies he's in...I'm sure I'll see this one, but I definitely understand where you're coming from.

i try really hard to disassociate actors with their personal side...if i didn't i'd never listen to REM or watch 30 Rock....Tom Cruise is one of those...love his professional work...when he's not pretending for a living...he's a frigging tool....

Definitely. The one I'm having a hard time with lately is Ricky Gervais. The guy is seriously an amazing talent in terms of comedy, but he just CANNOT seem to do a THING professionally anymore without involving his atheism agenda. I think atheism is great...seriously. Everyone should find their own way, and if that means not having faith in God and they've come by it honestly, then all the power to them. There are MANY people who are atheists or believers in some other religion whose professional work I enjoy. But when you can't even make a movie, or host an awards show, without using it as a platform for your agenda, I just can't be part of it anymore.

It's like Ellen. I LOVE Ellen. She is truly hilarious and seemingly a pretty cool person. But back when she turned her tv show into a platform for promotion of the gay and lesbian lifestyle (again, something I have NO problem with), it took away from my ability to just enjoy her talents. It's been a good while since I've seen her do that, and subsequently I've really enjoyed her.

I guess in that regard Tom Cruise isn't as big of an offender as others. At least he seems to still be able to make a movie and allow the character to be relatively free of association with his real life agenda. But definitely still a tool.

That's good to hear. I am not a fan of the Mission: Impossible series, but if it's a good story and not some typical shoot-em-up, blow-em-up action flick, then that's even better.

I think this is a reflection on Brad Bird being the director of this film. He's responsible with some of Disney/Pixar's latest films: The Incredibles, Ratatouille & Up, and before Disney he was responsible for The Iron Giant. The guy does great work with stories and it's good to hear that he will have success with his first live action movie.

Crazy time when you have Brad Bird doing action and Spielberg doing animation (motion capture but whatever). Saw Tintin last night and it is a very good movie. This is not a funny movie per-se but it is a lot of fun. I am a huge fan of the comic books but I think those that are not should also enjoy it.

Here are this month's Independent Films. Look for some of these films to become major Oscar contenders.

Gary Oldman headlines the British made Cold War thriller "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". In the bleak days of the Cold War, espionage veteran George Smiley is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6's echelons. Taking a more subtle approach, as this is not a bang-bang, shoot-em-up, full of explosions spy thriller, but rather relying more on dialogue and story. Thomas Alfredson, the director of "Let the Right One In" is at the helm, and the ensemble cast is top notch. Also starring Colin Firth, Toby Jones, Ciaran Hinds, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy & John Hurt.

Charlize Theron stars in "Young Adult". Soon after her divorce, a fiction writer returns to her home in small-town Minnesota, looking to rekindle a romance with her ex-boyfriend, who is now married with kids. Also starring Patrick Wilson, Patton Oswalt & Elizabeth Reaser.

Meryl Streep is "The Iron Lady". A look at the life of Margaret Thatcher, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a focus on the price she paid for power. Also starring Jim Broadbent & Richard E. Grant.

Michael Fassbender stars in "Shame". In New York City, Brandon's carefully cultivated private life -- which allows him to indulge his sexual addiction -- is disrupted when his sister Cissy arrives unannounced for an indefinite stay. This movie has the distinction of carrying the "NC-17" rating. Also starring Abbie Cornish & James Badge Dale.

Glenn Close stars in "Albert Nobbs". Albert Nobbs is a woman passing as a man in order to work and survive in 19th century Ireland. Some thirty years after donning men's clothing, she finds herself trapped in a prison of her own making. Also starring Mia Wasikowska, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Brendan Gleeson & Janet McTeer.

In "We Need to Talk About Kevin", The mother of a teenage boy who went on a high-school killing spree tries to deal with her grief - and feelings of responsibility for her child's actions. Starring Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly & Ezra Miller.

Angelina Jolie directs "In the Land of Blood and Honey". During the Bosnian War, Danijel, a soldier fighting for the Serbs, re-encounters Ajla, a Bosnian who's now a captive in his camp he oversees. Their once promising connection has become ambiguous as their motives have changed. Starring Zana Marjanovic, Goran Kostic & Rade Serbedzija.

Madonna directs "W.E.". A two-tiered romantic drama focusing on the affair between King Edward VIII and American divorcée Wallis Simpson and a contemporary romance between a married woman and a Russian security guard. Starring Abbie Cornish, Andrea Riseborough, James D'Arcy & Oscar Issac.

In "Pariah", A Brooklyn teenager juggles conflicting identities and risks friendship, heartbreak, and family in a desperate search for sexual expression. Starring Adepero Oduye, Kim Wayans & Aasha Davis.

Finally, the documentary "Pina", is a tribute to choreographer Pina Bausch.

Calendar with trailers. Note: These dates are for exclusive or limited release. These films may appear in your area at a later date.

12/2

"Shame": http://www.foxsearchlight.com/shame/

12/9

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy": http://focusfeatures.com/tinker_tailor_soldier_spy

"Young Adult": http://www.youngadultmovie.com/

"We Need to Talk About Kevin": http://kevin.oscilloscope.net/

"W.E.": http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3245448729/

12/21

"Albert Nobbs": http://albertnobbs-themovie.com/

12/23

"In the Land of Blood and Honey": http://www.inthelandofbloodandhoney.com/

"Pina": http://www.pina-film.de/en/about-the-movie.html

12/28

"Pariah": http://focusfeatures.com/pariah

12/30

"The Iron Lady": http://www.theironladymovie.co.uk/blog/

There you have it. I'll have the January movies up soon. Enjoy!

Thanks, Mark...couple of interesting films in there...although I have to admit I have absolutely no interest in a Madonna project.

I've heard nothing but great build-up for Tinker, Tailer, Soldier Spy...really looking forward to that.

Thanks, Mark...couple of interesting films in there...although I have to admit I have absolutely no interest in a Madonna project.

I've heard nothing but great build-up for Tinker, Tailer, Soldier Spy...really looking forward to that.

I did a double feature today, and saw two of the better movies I have seen all year.

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" being one of them. Let me just say to those who have not seen it; if you are expecting thrilling car chases, lots of shoot-em-up gun play, James Bond hi-tech gadgets, and big explosions, then you will be GREATLY disappointed. This is not that type of Cold War spy film. This movie is heavy on dialogue, has a slow pace and has lots of tension in it's subtle thrills. Gary Oldman gives a very subdued and calculating performance. The storytelling is slow, but effective, and it's best that you don't get up in the middle and leave. Colin Firth, Toby Jones, Tom Hardy & Benedict Cumberbatch are pluses in this movie as well.

Overall this is a fine film that may not get much consideration for the Oscar for best picture, but Gary Oldman deserves serious consideration for a best actor performance.

The second film I saw today was the highly anticipated silent film, "The Artist". What a delightful movie this was. A great blend of comedy, drama and romance, this movie is great for those of you who love old Hollywood movies. Jean Dejardin & Berenice Bejo shine on screen and we get a great sense of what it must have been for actors to make the transition from "silents" to "talkies". A couple of nice performances by John Goodman & James Cromwell are also had in this film. No question this film will be a best picture front runner.

I know there are many on here who say they do not watch movies made today because "they suck". Yet I have always countered that good movies are still made, you just have to find them. These two movies are a part of my argument. Please see these two films if you can, and you will see.

Edited by Mark Vader

I've heard surprisingly good critic reviews of young adults..that '...Kevin" movie sounds like an emotionally difficult movie to watch.

Here are this month's Independent Films. Look for some of these films to become major Oscar contenders.

Gary Oldman headlines the British made Cold War thriller "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". In the bleak days of the Cold War, espionage veteran George Smiley is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6's echelons. Taking a more subtle approach, as this is not a bang-bang, shoot-em-up, full of explosions spy thriller, but rather relying more on dialogue and story. Thomas Alfredson, the director of "Let the Right One In" is at the helm, and the ensemble cast is top notch. Also starring Colin Firth, Toby Jones, Ciaran Hinds, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy & John Hurt.

Charlize Theron stars in "Young Adult". Soon after her divorce, a fiction writer returns to her home in small-town Minnesota, looking to rekindle a romance with her ex-boyfriend, who is now married with kids. Also starring Patrick Wilson, Patton Oswalt & Elizabeth Reaser.

Meryl Streep is "The Iron Lady". A look at the life of Margaret Thatcher, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a focus on the price she paid for power. Also starring Jim Broadbent & Richard E. Grant.

Michael Fassbender stars in "Shame". In New York City, Brandon's carefully cultivated private life -- which allows him to indulge his sexual addiction -- is disrupted when his sister Cissy arrives unannounced for an indefinite stay. This movie has the distinction of carrying the "NC-17" rating. Also starring Abbie Cornish & James Badge Dale.

Glenn Close stars in "Albert Nobbs". Albert Nobbs is a woman passing as a man in order to work and survive in 19th century Ireland. Some thirty years after donning men's clothing, she finds herself trapped in a prison of her own making. Also starring Mia Wasikowska, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Brendan Gleeson & Janet McTeer.

In "We Need to Talk About Kevin", The mother of a teenage boy who went on a high-school killing spree tries to deal with her grief - and feelings of responsibility for her child's actions. Starring Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly & Ezra Miller.

Angelina Jolie directs "In the Land of Blood and Honey". During the Bosnian War, Danijel, a soldier fighting for the Serbs, re-encounters Ajla, a Bosnian who's now a captive in his camp he oversees. Their once promising connection has become ambiguous as their motives have changed. Starring Zana Marjanovic, Goran Kostic & Rade Serbedzija.

Madonna directs "W.E.". A two-tiered romantic drama focusing on the affair between King Edward VIII and American divorcée Wallis Simpson and a contemporary romance between a married woman and a Russian security guard. Starring Abbie Cornish, Andrea Riseborough, James D'Arcy & Oscar Issac.

In "Pariah", A Brooklyn teenager juggles conflicting identities and risks friendship, heartbreak, and family in a desperate search for sexual expression. Starring Adepero Oduye, Kim Wayans & Aasha Davis.

Finally, the documentary "Pina", is a tribute to choreographer Pina Bausch.

Calendar with trailers. Note: These dates are for exclusive or limited release. These films may appear in your area at a later date.

12/2

"Shame": http://www.foxsearchlight.com/shame/

12/9

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy": http://focusfeatures.com/tinker_tailor_soldier_spy

"Young Adult": http://www.youngadultmovie.com/

"We Need to Talk About Kevin": http://kevin.oscilloscope.net/

"W.E.": http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3245448729/

12/21

"Albert Nobbs": http://albertnobbs-themovie.com/

12/23

"In the Land of Blood and Honey": http://www.inthelandofbloodandhoney.com/

"Pina": http://www.pina-film.de/en/about-the-movie.html

12/28

"Pariah": http://focusfeatures.com/pariah

12/30

"The Iron Lady": http://www.theironladymovie.co.uk/blog/

There you have it. I'll have the January movies up soon. Enjoy!

Definitely. The one I'm having a hard time with lately is Ricky Gervais. The guy is seriously an amazing talent in terms of comedy, but he just CANNOT seem to do a THING professionally anymore without involving his atheism agenda. I think atheism is great...seriously. Everyone should find their own way, and if that means not having faith in God and they've come by it honestly, then all the power to them. There are MANY people who are atheists or believers in some other religion whose professional work I enjoy. But when you can't even make a movie, or host an awards show, without using it as a platform for your agenda, I just can't be part of it anymore.

It's like Ellen. I LOVE Ellen. She is truly hilarious and seemingly a pretty cool person. But back when she turned her tv show into a platform for promotion of the gay and lesbian lifestyle (again, something I have NO problem with), it took away from my ability to just enjoy her talents. It's been a good while since I've seen her do that, and subsequently I've really enjoyed her.

I guess in that regard Tom Cruise isn't as big of an offender as others. At least he seems to still be able to make a movie and allow the character to be relatively free of association with his real life agenda. But definitely still a tool.

I haven't noticed it that bad with Ricky Gervais, I was interested when I heard about a movie or tv show he was going to do that had something to do with Atheism and God. I have been watching "An Idiot Abroad: Bucket List" and what annoys me is that he seems to be going too far to try and make Karl look like an idiot, or piss him off. Its much funnier when Karl does that all on his own with little prodding. This season he is constantly going further and further into pushing his bottons.

The issues you are pointing out about celebrities and their agendas is one of the main reasons I hate U2. Bono supports good causes and all, but I can't stand when celebrities think that their cause is so much more important and that we should do like them, because they know best, because they are famous. I have become less and less interested in the band Green Day, ever since they went all "political" with American Idiot and their last album. They started as a punk band singing about drugs and masturbation, now they feel they know more about politics and peace/war?

As for movies, I think I have only watched the first Mission Impossible, but this one looks like one I would watch. The top one I want to see out now is the Sherlock Holmes sequel. Just watched the first one again yesterday while at home. I personally would not have wasted the time writting out so many words for "new Years eve". It probably would have been a better use of space and time to just put "Gary Marshalls New Years Eve, Pass". I have heard only good things (it was the only movie recommended 2 weeks ago on Shredd and Ragans movie review with the guy from MTV from WNY who reviews movies) about 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", I believe he gave it 4 1/2 chicken wings out of 5 and said it was the movie to watch if its playing in your area.

I haven't noticed it that bad with Ricky Gervais, I was interested when I heard about a movie or tv show he was going to do that had something to do with Atheism and God. I have been watching "An Idiot Abroad: Bucket List" and what annoys me is that he seems to be going too far to try and make Karl look like an idiot, or piss him off. Its much funnier when Karl does that all on his own with little prodding. This season he is constantly going further and further into pushing his bottons.

The issues you are pointing out about celebrities and their agendas is one of the main reasons I hate U2. Bono supports good causes and all, but I can't stand when celebrities think that their cause is so much more important and that we should do like them, because they know best, because they are famous. I have become less and less interested in the band Green Day, ever since they went all "political" with American Idiot and their last album. They started as a punk band singing about drugs and masturbation, now they feel they know more about politics and peace/war?

I totally agree with you. Celebrities often seem to think that we should care about whatever they care about, and it really gets annoying. Just because we enjoy their acting/singing, or the films/music they make, doesn't mean we will follow them on whatever political agenda they have set for themselves. George Clooney is another one who drives me nuts with that crap. And there was a Don Henley concert here in Georgia about five years ago that a few friends of mine went to. The crowd ended up nearly booing him off stage, because apparently he started going off on some diatribe about something or other, and the crowd just wanted to hear the guy's music.

With regard to Gervais, I was really looking forward to a film called "The Invention of Lying". I rented it, sat down to watch it, and about half way through realized that it was nothing mroe than a propoganda piece for atheism. On top of that, when he hosted the Golden Globes or whatever awards show that was, he just couldn't help himself with the atheism thing yet again. It sucks, cause I find the guy funny as hell when he's focused on just BEING FUNNY, and some of those episodes of the original British version of "The Office" were just fantastic. It just gets really old after awhile, and I lose respect for these people who use their celebrity to shove an agenda down our throats. The guy has become totally lame to me and I just have lost interest in anything he does. Maybe one day he'll get over himself like Ellen did, drop the soapboxing, and get back to what made people enjoy his work to begin with.

As for movies, I think I have only watched the first Mission Impossible, but this one looks like one I would watch. The top one I want to see out now is the Sherlock Holmes sequel. Just watched the first one again yesterday while at home. I personally would not have wasted the time writting out so many words for "new Years eve". It probably would have been a better use of space and time to just put "Gary Marshalls New Years Eve, Pass". I have heard only good things (it was the only movie recommended 2 weeks ago on Shredd and Ragans movie review with the guy from MTV from WNY who reviews movies) about 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", I believe he gave it 4 1/2 chicken wings out of 5 and said it was the movie to watch if its playing in your area.

I agree, if "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is in your area, check it out, it's outstanding.

Also, I saw "The Adventures of Tintin" today, and it is one fun ride. The motion capture animation is at it's finest in this film. I know absolutely nothing about Tintin, but I look forward to Steven Spielberg & Peter Jackson giving us more from this series. If you are looking to have for adventure and want to have some fun at the cinema, by all means check this film out.

Edited by Mark Vader

Saw MI:4 last night. It had the similar disavowal theme to it, slight alterations in spy-tech, and not much for character development, but that's par for the course and not what MI is about. They do impossible missions in style and save the world with 3... 2... 1 second to spare. I'm not generally an action-flick viewer but it was really watchable and entertaining.

I, too, don't care to hear about the private life or every unedited thought out of celebrities' mouths. To be fair, after that whole episode of jumping on couches and telling Matt Lauer that only Tom Cruise understands the history of psychology, he seemed to get that he needs to STFU and stick with making movies.

Saw MI:4 last night. It had the similar disavowal theme to it, slight alterations in spy-tech, and not much for character development, but that's par for the course and not what MI is about. They do impossible missions in style and save the world with 3... 2... 1 second to spare. I'm not generally an action-flick viewer but it was really watchable and entertaining.

I, too, don't care to hear about the private life or every unedited thought out of celebrities' mouths. To be fair, after that whole episode of jumping on couches and telling Matt Lauer that only Tom Cruise understands the history of psychology, he seemed to get that he needs to STFU and stick with making movies.

did you ever see that Scientology promotional video that leaked out? It gave me a whole new perspective on those folks.

I totally agree with you. Celebrities often seem to think that we should care about whatever they care about, and it really gets annoying. Just because we enjoy their acting/singing, or the films/music they make, doesn't mean we will follow them on whatever political agenda they have set for themselves. George Clooney is another one who drives me nuts with that crap. And there was a Don Henley concert here in Georgia about five years ago that a few friends of mine went to. The crowd ended up nearly booing him off stage, because apparently he started going off on some diatribe about something or other, and the crowd just wanted to hear the guy's music.

With regard to Gervais, I was really looking forward to a film called "The Invention of Lying". I rented it, sat down to watch it, and about half way through realized that it was nothing mroe than a propoganda piece for atheism. On top of that, when he hosted the Golden Globes or whatever awards show that was, he just couldn't help himself with the atheism thing yet again. It sucks, cause I find the guy funny as hell when he's focused on just BEING FUNNY, and some of those episodes of the original British version of "The Office" were just fantastic. It just gets really old after awhile, and I lose respect for these people who use their celebrity to shove an agenda down our throats. The guy has become totally lame to me and I just have lost interest in anything he does. Maybe one day he'll get over himself like Ellen did, drop the soapboxing, and get back to what made people enjoy his work to begin with.

Atleast you only rented it and could turn it off, I think I actually went to the theatre to see the movie with my girlfriend. I didn't like it because it was a horrible movie and not really funny at all.

I agree, if "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is in your area, check it out, it's outstanding.

Also, I saw "The Adventures of Tintin" today, and it is one fun ride. The motion capture animation is at it's finest in this film. I know absolutely nothing about Tintin, but I look forward to Steven Spielberg & Peter Jackson giving us more from this series. If you are looking to have for adventure and want to have some fun at the cinema, by all means check this film out.

I remember reading TinTin books at school (was in an extended french program from 5th grade til the end of highschool) when I had to read French books. I find some of the motion capture animation to be creepy, but this movie looks like something I would watch

Saw "War Horse" yesterday afternoon. Let me first preface that I am not a huge movie goer. Last film I saw was a couple of years ago. Yesterday's $7 was good money spent in a long time. This is not a kiddie movie, there is trauma and death (although veiled). If you do not leave without some moisture in your eyes you are not human.

Atleast you only rented it and could turn it off, I think I actually went to the theatre to see the movie with my girlfriend. I didn't like it because it was a horrible movie and not really funny at all.

lol...true, I am glad for that. And you're right, it wasn't funny in the slightest. It was truly one of the most disappointing movie experiences I've had in quite a while, especially since this is a guy who has had me rolling with laughter in the past. I really hope he gets back to just doing what he does best - being funny.