December Movies: Tintin, War Horse, Dragon, MI:4, & SH2.....

Mark Vader

Here are this month's Independent Films. Look for some of these films to become major Oscar contenders.

Gary Oldman headlines the British made Cold War thriller "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". In the bleak days of the Cold War, espionage veteran George Smiley is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6's echelons. Taking a more subtle approach, as this is not a bang-bang, shoot-em-up, full of explosions spy thriller, but rather relying more on dialogue and story. Thomas Alfredson, the director of "Let the Right One In" is at the helm, and the ensemble cast is top notch. Also starring Colin Firth, Toby Jones, Ciaran Hinds, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy & John Hurt.

What in the world took this so long to be turned into a movie?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the world took this so long to be turned into a movie?

I'm sure many people have said that about many books, that took forever to be made into movies, and there are plenty of books that still haven't gotten adapted for the big screen treatment.

Very few movie makers are risk takers.

In this case, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" was adapted as a seven part mini series by the BBC in 1979 and starred Alec Guinness.

I agree, if "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is in your area, check it out, it's outstanding.

Also, I saw "The Adventures of Tintin" today, and it is one fun ride. The motion capture animation is at it's finest in this film. I know absolutely nothing about Tintin, but I look forward to Steven Spielberg & Peter Jackson giving us more from this series. If you are looking to have for adventure and want to have some fun at the cinema, by all means check this film out.

Agree on the Tintin movie.

As for TTSS, I am quite mad that it is playing at only two theaters in the Chicagoland area, the closest of which is almost an hour's drive away ! This limited release nonsense sucks.

Agree on the Tintin movie.

As for TTSS, I am quite mad that it is playing at only two theaters in the Chicagoland area, the closest of which is almost an hour's drive away ! This limited release nonsense sucks.

Yeah that does suck. It's also surprising that in a big city like Chicago that you can't get a bigger release of this movie.

I don't understand how the distributors go about their slow release schedule.

I'm sure many people have said that about many books, that took forever to be made into movies, and there are plenty of books that still haven't gotten adapted for the big screen treatment.

Very few movie makers are risk takers.

In this case, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" was adapted as a seven part mini series by the BBC in 1979 and starred Alec Guinness.

Yeah, I remember the mini series. I guess my point is that I have no interest in seeing this movie in 2012. If it had been put out in 1985 maybe I would have.

I just don't see this as one of those 'timeless' films that will be a big draw. Does anyone really care/think much about the cold war?

Rented dolfin tail. Then went out for early dinner. Chill laxin with wine. Diet starts Monday.

lol, this is the best post ever

Happy New Year to you, Meadster!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I remember the mini series. I guess my point is that I have no interest in seeing this movie in 2012. If it had been put out in 1985 maybe I would have.

I just don't see this as one of those 'timeless' films that will be a big draw. Does anyone really care/think much about the cold war?

If it's a good story, then yes, I'll care.