December Movies: Tintin, War Horse, Dragon, MI:4, & SH2.....

Mark Vader

With the holiday season about to reach it's peak, movie studios bring out their final tentpole movies of the year and get those last second Oscar qualifiers out before the end of the year. There is a wide variety of action, adventure, drama, comedy and thrillers out there to please everyone. Directing great Steven Spielberg not only has one but two movies this month.

Steven Spielberg(director) teams up with Peter Jackson(producer) to bring us the highly anticipated "The Adventures of Tintin". Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on a treasure hunt for a sunken ship commanded by Haddock's ancestor. But someone else is in search of the ship. While the characters are not well known in the USA, the Spielberg & Jackson names draw big interest alone. The use of motion capture animation and appeal for families should make this a big winner at the box office. Starring Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg, Cary Elwes, Toby Jones & Nick Frost.

Steven Spielberg also directs the World War I backdrop, boy and his horse tale, "War Horse". Follows a young man named Albert and his horse, Joey, and how their bond is broken when Joey is sold to the cavalry and sent to the trenches of World War One. Despite being too young to enlist, Albert heads to France to save his friend. There is early high praise and Oscar whispers as well. Starring Jeremy Irvine, Emily Watson, David Thewlis & Benedict Cumberbatch.

Last year director David Fincher was lauded for his adaptation of "The Social Network", now he's back with another adaptation of the first of a popular book series; "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker. The challenge here is the appeal to a mainstream audience to a very dark story. Starring Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Stellan Skarsgard, Robin Wright & Christopher Plummer.

Animated movie director Brad Bird gets his first shot at live action, with the Tom Cruise action series, "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol". The IMF is shut down when it's implicated in the bombing of the Kremlin, causing Ethan Hunt and his new team to go rogue to clear their organization's name. Also starring Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg, Lea Seydoux, Ving Rhames, Josh Holloway & Tom Wilkinson.

Robert Downey, Jr. & Jude Law return in, "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows". Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Dr. Watson join forces to outwit and bring down their fiercest adversary, Professor Moriarty. Also Starring Jared Harris, Rachel McAdams, Noomi Rapace, Stephen Fry & Eddie Marsan.

Director Cameron Crowe and actor Matt Damon headline, "We Bought A Zoo". Set in Southern California, a father moves his young family to the countryside to renovate and re-open a struggling zoo. Also starring Scarlett Johansson, Thomas Haden Church, Elle Fanning & Patrick Fugit.

Tom Hanks & Sandra Bullock take a back seat to former Teen Jeopardy champ Thomas Horn in, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". A nine-year-old amateur inventor, jewelry designer, astrophysicist, tambourine player, and pacifist searches New York for the lock that matches a mysterious key left by his father when he was killed in the September 11 attacks. Also starring John Goodman, Max von Sydow, Viola Davis & Jeffrey Wright.

"Carnage", tells the story of two sets of parents who decide to have a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a schoolyard brawl. Starring Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly & Christoph Waltz.

"The Sitter" is, a comedy about a college student on suspension who is coaxed into babysitting the kids next door, though he is fully unprepared for the wild night ahead of him. Starring Jonah Hill, Ari Graynor & Sam Rockwell.

Garry Marshall directs the ensemble romantic comedy, "New Year's Eve". The lives of several couples and singles in New York intertwine over the course of New Year's Eve. Starring Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Jon Bon Jovi, Abigail Breslin, Chris Bridges, Robert DeNiro, Josh Duhamel, Zac Efron, Hector Elizondo, Katherine Heigl, Ashton Kutcher, Seth Meyers, Lea Michelle, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michelle Pfeiffer, Til Schweiger, Hilary Swank & Sofia Vergara.

In the thriller "The Darkest Hour", In Moscow, five young people lead the charge against an alien race who have attacked Earth via our power supply. Starring Emile Hirsch, Olivia Thirlby, Max Minghella, Rachael Taylor & Joel Kinnamen.

In "Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked", Playing around while aboard a cruise ship, the Chipmunks and Chipettes accidentally go overboard and end up marooned in a tropical paradise. They discover their new turf is not as deserted as it seems. Starring Jason Lee, Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler, Jesse McCartney, Amy Poehler, Anna Faris & Christina Applegate.

Finally in "I Melt With You", When four 40-something college friends meet up for their annual reunion, things start to spiral out of control, and a pact they made as young men is revisited. Starring Thomas Jane, Rob Lowe, Jeremy Piven, Christian McKay & Carla Gugino.

Calendar with Trailers.

12/9

"New Year's Eve": http://newyearsevemovie.warnerbros.com/index.html

"The Sitter": http://www.thesittermovie.com/

"I Melt With You": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1033608729/

12/16

"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows": http://sherlockholmes2.warnerbros.com/

"Carnage": http://www.sonyclassics.com/carnage/

"Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked": http://www.munkyourself.com/us/

12/21

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo": http://www.dragontattoo.com/site/

"The Adventures of Tintin": http://www.us.movie.tintin.com/

"Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol": http://www.missionimpossible.com/flock/

12/23

"We Bought A Zoo": http://www.weboughtazoo.com/

12/25

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close": http://extremelyloudandincrediblyclose.warnerbros.com/

"The Darkest Hour": http://darkesthourmovie.com/

"War Horse": http://www.warhorsemovie.com/

That's all for now. Independent films will be posted later. Enjoy!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My highlight for this month is the story I've seen online where Christopher Nolan is going to attach the prologue to The Dark Knight Rises to that new Mission Impossible movie. I have no plans on seeing that movie, but it should quickly hit the internet once the film is released.

Thanks, Mark!! :thumbsup:

Your welcome

My highlight for this month is the story I've seen online where Christopher Nolan is going to attach the prologue to The Dark Knight Rises to that new Mission Impossible movie. I have no plans on seeing that movie, but it should quickly hit the internet once the film is released.

Very interesting. I did not know about that. I'm surprised at this when you consider MI:4 is from Paramount, and DKR is from Warner Bros.

Either way, if it is true I look forward to it. Next Summer is going to rock!

Thanks for the lineup Mark, empty and uninspiring as it is.

Yeah, this Holiday Season is a bit lackluster overall.

However, I really want to see the "Tintin" movie. It looks like a lot of fun.

Also, even though I'm not a fan of the "Mission: Impossible" series, I like that Brad Bird is getting a chance to direct a live action movie.

Looks like a few nice choices among that list...Carnage looks to have a very interesting cast, with two of my favorite actors - John C Reilly and Christoph Waltz. Also nice to see Emile Hirsch again...seems like I haven't seen him since Into the Wild.

I bet the indy list is gonna be SMOKIN this month...looking forward to that, Mark :thumbsup:

I am really looking forward to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The subtitled Swedish version (and book) was awesome. I'm curious to see if the American version can top or at least equal it.

Agreed. The entire trilogy is first rate - both the books and the Swedish movies.

One of the charms of the films was the relatively unknown state of the main actors.

In such a tour de force, I'm hoping that the body of work of Daniel Craig and Christopher Plummer allows for a proper level of suspension of disbelief to enjoy the American versions. I'm a bit skeptical though. I'm sure they will be entertaining, and I know I'll see every one of them. But the Swedish versions were - something special.

Mark - where's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? I thought this was out in the US now, but it looks only like the Euros have it. Did I miss it entirely? :unsure:

Is that john c. reilly film the roman polanski one??? Pass on principles.

There is nothing about war horse that looks interesting to me...

Looks like a few nice choices among that list...Carnage looks to have a very interesting cast, with two of my favorite actors - John C Reilly and Christoph Waltz. Also nice to see Emile Hirsch again...seems like I haven't seen him since Into the Wild.

I bet the indy list is gonna be SMOKIN this month...looking forward to that, Mark :thumbsup:

Agreed. The entire trilogy is first rate - both the books and the Swedish movies.

One of the charms of the films was the relatively unknown state of the main actors.

In such a tour de force, I'm hoping that the body of work of Daniel Craig and Christopher Plummer allows for a proper level of suspension of disbelief to enjoy the American versions. I'm a bit skeptical though. I'm sure they will be entertaining, and I know I'll see every one of them. But the Swedish versions were - something special.

The one thing about the Swedish versions is that they de-sexed Blomqvist. In the books he screwed anything that walked. I've always wondered why they did that. To make him more sympathetic?

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Very interesting. I did not know about that. I'm surprised at this when you consider MI:4 is from Paramount, and DKR is from Warner Bros.

Either way, if it is true I look forward to it. Next Summer is going to rock!

They're only doing it at select IMAX theaters. So it sounds like they went with the one movie that was probably made for the IMAX viewing. I have no idea how much politics are behind attaching certain trailers to certain movies though.

With the holiday season about to reach it's peak, movie studios bring out their final tentpole movies of the year and get those last second Oscar qualifiers out before the end of the year. There is a wide variety of action, adventure, drama, comedy and thrillers out there to please everyone. Directing great Steven Spielberg not only has one but two movies this month.

Terrific ending to a lackluster year of movies. My must-watches:

- Tintin: I am devoted fan of the comic books.

- MI4: Cruise, Renner, Pegg... action ? Who needs a story ?

- Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Terrific story, loved the original movie and can't wait to see Fincher's take on it

- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: (As Nanker pointed out, you either missed it or had it in the November list): I am a huge fan of the director's (Tomas Alfredson) first movie "Let the Right one in". For that reason and the terrific cast alone, I want to watch it. Unfortunately, I don't see it on the upcoming releases in theaters even 20 mile radius of my house. Sucks !

Mark - where's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? I thought this was out in the US now, but it looks only like the Euros have it. Did I miss it entirely? :unsure:

I haven't read any of the books but I did see all Swedish versions and I thought they were awesome. I'm not sure if this version can compete but I'll definitely have to check it out.

Is that john c. reilly film the roman polanski one??? Pass on principles.

Ugh, yes it is...I just checked. I have an issue with that, as well.

I haven't read any of the books but I did see all Swedish versions and I thought they were awesome. I'm not sure if this version can compete but I'll definitely have to check it out.

Much as I enjoyed the three movies, I felt they left a portion unresolved - about the relationship between Salander and Blomkvist. It seemed clumsy throughout the movies and the ending was unsatisfying. I am not big into unnecessary romance but once the film went down that path, there needed to be a firmer resolution to that aspect. Anwyay, that is a small complaint against a very good trilogy.

Ugh, yes it is...I just checked. I have an issue with that, as well.

On principle and also due to the utterly atrocious "Ghost Writer" with its idiotic underlying US-bashing theme.

On principle and also due to the utterly atrocious "Ghost Writer" with its idiotic underlying US-bashing theme.

Ghost Writer was one of the few movies I turned off half way into it and sent back.

I did not forget about "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", I will have it in my Independent List up very soon. Focus Features chose to give this film a limited release with a slow expansion. As of now, I believe it is only in New York & Los Angeles, and will expand to only 4 more major markets this week. Look for a wider release just before or after Christmas.

I have been eagerly awaiting this film to. I'm still waiting for the wider expansions for "The Artist" & "A Dangerous Method".

Saw MI4 last night - very very good action flick. I was initially unhappy that I was forced to go for an IMAX screening due to the higher price(as there are very few non-IMAX screens this week in my area). But it was fun as I had never seen any on such a huge screen. Besides that, the movie itself was terrific with good acting, terrific action sequences and a half-way decent plot. All you expect from a popcorn movie is present in generous helpings. I highly recommend it.

Saw MI4 last night - very very good action flick. I was initially unhappy that I was forced to go for an IMAX screening due to the higher price(as there are very few non-IMAX screens this week in my area). But it was fun as I had never seen any on such a huge screen. Besides that, the movie itself was terrific with good acting, terrific action sequences and a half-way decent plot. All you expect from a popcorn movie is present in generous helpings. I highly recommend it.

That's good to hear. I am not a fan of the Mission: Impossible series, but if it's a good story and not some typical shoot-em-up, blow-em-up action flick, then that's even better.

I think this is a reflection on Brad Bird being the director of this film. He's responsible with some of Disney/Pixar's latest films: The Incredibles, Ratatouille & Up, and before Disney he was responsible for The Iron Giant. The guy does great work with stories and it's good to hear that he will have success with his first live action movie.

I wanted to like this as much as many critics and audiences apparently do. But I think I'm finally done with any movies that have Tom Cruise in them. I might have liked this if not for that.