AJ Smith Coming back to Buffalo?

Just to recap...First you state your desire to bring in AJ, then you quickly determine that he is a clown. Hmmmm....methinks we have a dilemma here.

I don't think AJ has as much to do with what has happened in SD as do Norv and Rivers. Rivers brain seems to be fuzzy. Gunslinging is fine, but when you get picked off more than 20 times through 8 games, you might consider re-thinking that mentality. Instead, he has continued to get picked off at a prodigious pace. I find AJ to be brash and ego-centric. That being said, the GM of my favorite hockey team (Go ahead and bash away here) Brian Burke is the same personality type and has a similar eye for talent. I'd take his skillset at OBD in a heartbeat.

He has been picked off 17 times in 11 games which is a big difference that more than 20 in 8 games.

Doing this will stop you from sounding like an idiot

What makes you think Whaley is going to be any better than Nix? If the talent on this team is a problem, then he's partly responsible too

Clearly you don't understand. Spanos is so concerned that Turner/Smith killed their fan interest that he's wiling to fire these two clowns and eat millions of dollars to become successful again. That's a commitment to winning. No way, Ralph would do this. Like with Nix, he'd only hire internally or bring back Marv Levy as GM

Whaley is in charge of "pro-personnel". I think he has been a significant upgrade over his predecessor. The offensive linemen that Whaley has found on the lower rungs of other teams practice squads, and roster cuts, have been a pleasant surprise. I for one, would love to see Whaley get a shot at the GM position. I think Nix, Whaley and Gailey operate under some disadvantages that others may not. It is still early to call Nix a bust, but it ain't feeling good right now...Buffalo continues to get very little, if any, production from it's draft picks.

As for AJ Smith, I give him kudos for finding talent, but I am not so sure he has done a great job of running the Chargers. I mean, is there a team, over the last 7 or 8 years that exemplifies "under-achieving" as much as the Chargers have. Sure, it is not all AJ's fault, but, personally, I think the guy sounds like a bit of an a-hole...kind of an ego, who likes to get confrontational with players, during negotiations. His confrontational style is what created the rift between he and Ralph in the first place. As long as Ralph Wilson owns this team, AJ Smith is not coming back to Buffalo. I can't recall exactly what he said when he left Buffalo for San Diego, but I do remember he was very critical of Wilson.

Nix and AJ Smith have the Bills and Chargers on their resumes. Not bad. Whaley has the Steelers on his resume. I say, lets try something new, and not reach into the past, again. I would rather have the team I love, the Bills, model themselves after the Steelers, than the Chargers...

Edited by Buftex

Interesting that nobody else found the title of this thread to be totally misleading.

Misleading? No. Ridiculous? Yes.

The OP praises Spanos for firing Smith, then thinks it would be awesome for Buddy to hire him.

Pure hilarity!

Misleading? No. Ridiculous? Yes.

The OP praises Spanos for firing Smith, then thinks it would be awesome for Buddy to hire him.

Pure hilarity!

Misleading? Yes. The title reads as if Smith might be coming back to Buffalo. Then the OP proceeds to say that it's been speculated that Smith might be fired and the OP would love it if AJ came back to the Bills. Nothing being speculated/reported that Smith could/would be coming back to Buffalo. Just that the OP would like it. Totally misleading. I won't argue your ridiculous point though.

First of its been reported that Chargers owner Alex Spanos will fire both Norv Turner and probably AJ Smith as well.

My question us, how awesome would it be to have AJ back in Buffalo? Either as an assistant GM or even to take over for Buddy Nix at the end of the season. AJ has an ego and would command a large paycheck but still, he has a proven record of finding Pro Bowl talent.

Also props to Alex Spanos for being an owner who gives damn about his franchise. If only we had an owner with a winning mentality. Maybe someday

My recollection: Nix and Smith are on the outs. The chance of A.J. Smith coming to Buffalo is about as likely as a Beatles reunion.

R.I.P. John and George . . .

First of its been reported that Chargers owner Alex Spanos will fire both Norv Turner and probably AJ Smith as well.

My question us, how awesome would it be to have AJ back in Buffalo? Either as an assistant GM or even to take over for Buddy Nix at the end of the season. AJ has an ego and would command a large paycheck but still, he has a proven record of finding Pro Bowl talent.

Also props to Alex Spanos for being an owner who gives damn about his franchise. If only we had an owner with a winning mentality. Maybe someday

What?? Turner should've been canned at least two seasons ago -- anyone with an ounce of sense could see that. One of the worst head coaches in recent memory.

Alex Spanos has been a horrible owner. Proactive yes. Good decision maker --- most of the time NO.

As for AJ Smith, he would not return and we do not need him.

I think we stay with Nix and giev him four years, then pass the reigns to Whaley.

Too many changes already.