Could We , Should We , Did We ?

T master

I don't know about you all but the 2 games (which may have been super motivation) that Maybin has played against the Bills have played to his favor .

Could the Bills have hurt him by not giving him more playing time ? Which in a couple of rookie & 2 yr. players CJ being one other i thin could have benefitted from more playing time .

Should we have let Wanny work with him a bit more before cutting ties with another 1st round pick so quickly ? What he had was it 2 sacks & a couple of hurries & look at the Bills pass rush it is all but invisible , even the little bit that he brings would be a welcome sight .

Did we give him a far shake ? There has been a few players in the recent past that we have let go that have turned into main stays on other teams one other was on the Jets Jim Leonard , the guy has been lights out for the Ravens & now the Jets .

I'm not sure what it takes to develop the talent that comes out of the college ranks but i know our team has wiffed on a few really good players recently & i just wonder if this may have been a player that we could have used in situations like the Jets did & at least gotten something out of the pick rather than just cutting him ??

Here's the deal.

Maybin is a one-trick pony, an undersized pass rusher with a great initial burst off the line who lacks the strength to do any in-fighting. When given an unimpeded shot at the QB, he can get there. Occasionally when matched up against a TE, RB, or inferior OT he may be able to get around them for the sack. The Jets know this, and they have placed him in a perfect situation to maximize his limited skill set. They do not need him to be a core defensive player for them, because they already have a quality, established defense.

The Bills REALLY needed a core defensive player when they drafted Maybin -- and after 2 full seasons and a 3rd off-season, they came to the conclusion that he was never going to evolve into an every-down defender. Do I think that the Bills would be better off with him over a guy like Danny Batten? Yes. However, the evaluation by OBD was also one of value. Did it make more sense to keep a guy like Batten, who is making a shade over the league minimum salary -- or a guy like Maybin, who is one of the highest paid players on the team?

Here's the deal.

Maybin is a one-trick pony, an undersized pass rusher with a great initial burst off the line who lacks the strength to do any in-fighting. When given an unimpeded shot at the QB, he can get there. Occasionally when matched up against a TE, RB, or inferior OT he may be able to get around them for the sack. The Jets know this, and they have placed him in a perfect situation to maximize his limited skill set. They do not need him to be a core defensive player for them, because they already have a quality, established defense.

The Bills REALLY needed a core defensive player when they drafted Maybin -- and after 2 full seasons and a 3rd off-season, they came to the conclusion that he was never going to evolve into an every-down defender. Do I think that the Bills would be better off with him over a guy like Danny Batten? Yes. However, the evaluation by OBD was also one of value. Did it make more sense to keep a guy like Batten, who is making a shade over the league minimum salary -- or a guy like Maybin, who is one of the highest paid players on the team?

While all of that may be true, it still doesn't make much sense that he basically never saw the field last year. Aside from the fact that it would've been hard to be worse than their 32nd ranking vs the run last year; the Bills couldn't put him in there on 3rd&12?

Here's the deal.

Heres the real deal: NONE of what you just said matters the least bit about what Maybin isnt or what we needed when he was drafted. The bottom line is he is ALREADY on our team, not like we need to use a new draft pick to keep him. The draft pick is long gone, so get over it. The reality is this player is NOW on our team, so since we have NO ONE on our team to get to the passer ever, we could use his skill set on the field to at least get pressure, even if its only on a handful of plays. But our staff was so inept that they cut him before giving the true LB coach Wannstedt a year with the kid to see what they do with him.

So tired of people hung up on when a player was drafted and what we could have had instead. Only fans care about that...once you are on the team then you are on the team and its about how the coaching staff can use the player to get value...our staff had another epic fail on getting him on the field in situations for him to succeed.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Here's the deal.

Better a one trick pony than a no-trick pony? :devil:

Truth is, Gailey, and Jauron before him, always praised his work ethic, but for some reason, that never translated into playing time....hell, it didn't even translate into being active for most games...so, as I see it, either the Bills (under two different coaching staffs) had some other issue with Maybin that we aren't aware of, or, this is a case where stubborn coaching just wasted a player. He may never amount to much, but it is beyond me how a guy drafted so high (we can debate the merits of the pick all we want) could have 0 chance come his way to see what he can do. It is not like the Bills had some steady, reliable defense the two years Maybin was here...how many times would an effective situational pass rusher have helped (or "one trick pony" as you call it) out? Btw- the way you describe Maybin sounds like about half the guys on our starting defense.

Edited by Buftex

Heres the real deal: NONE of what you just said matters the least bit about what Maybin isnt or what we needed when he was drafted. The bottom line is he is ALREADY on our team, not like we need to use a new draft pick to keep him. The draft pick is long gone, so get over it. The reality is this player is NOW on our team, so since we have NO ONE on our team to get to the passer ever, we could use his skill set on the field to at least get pressure, even if its only on a handful of plays. But our staff was so inept that they cut him before giving the true LB coach Wannstedt a year with the kid to see what they do with him.

So tired of people hung up on when a player was drafted and what we could have had instead. Only fans care about that...once you are on the team then you are on the team and its about how the coaching staff can use the player to get value...our staff had another epic fail on getting him on the field in situations for him to succeed.

Pretty well said Alpha, have to agree with you.

It all comes down to the coaches putting the players in the right position to succeed. The Jets are doing that with Maybin and the Bills did not. Notice how on Maybin's second sack, he was lined up against the TE Chandler. In Buffalo he was always lined up against a lineman.

Edited by Bills Fan in ATL

I don't believe that to be the case with Maybin. We all heard the reports that Wood made to him during training camp. I think there may have been resentment on the team about the money he was making, and lack of productivity, even in practice agains offensive lineman that could not make the team.

Granted, you would think the coaching staff would be able to get some value out of him, but there are too many holes on this team to tie that much money up on a guy that is only suited for 5-10 snaps a game.

It all comes down to the coaches putting the players in the right position to succeed. The Jets are doing that with Maybin and the Bills did not. Notice how on Maybin's second sack, he was lined up against the TE Chandler. In Buffalo he was always lined up against a lineman.

The only logical reason I can think of is that Edwards is building up a film library of what not to do

The guy play for the Jets! Had he done this with the Bills than I

would be impress. Rex D allow scrubs to look great. I mean come on

they have a pretty good core of guys on the unit, we don't!

Regardless, if he had have played 20snaps or 5, we would have said,

look at this skinny like punk out of his league gettin swallowed up

by that RT lol! Just be happy for the guy and finally move on. I

Admit I thought we should have kept the guy, aren't we still payin

The light weight?

I don't know about you all but the 2 games (which may have been super motivation) that Maybin has played against the Bills have played to his favor .

Could the Bills have hurt him by not giving him more playing time ? Which in a couple of rookie & 2 yr. players CJ being one other i thin could have benefitted from more playing time .

Should we have let Wanny work with him a bit more before cutting ties with another 1st round pick so quickly ? What he had was it 2 sacks & a couple of hurries & look at the Bills pass rush it is all but invisible , even the little bit that he brings would be a welcome sight .

Did we give him a far shake ? There has been a few players in the recent past that we have let go that have turned into main stays on other teams one other was on the Jets Jim Leonard , the guy has been lights out for the Ravens & now the Jets .

I'm not sure what it takes to develop the talent that comes out of the college ranks but i know our team has wiffed on a few really good players recently & i just wonder if this may have been a player that we could have used in situations like the Jets did & at least gotten something out of the pick rather than just cutting him ??

They shouldn't have cut him. I was an ardent Maybin-basher, but the comparisons I made to Cameron Wake appear validated. As hopeless as he seemed, it wasn't a physical issue and he wasn't lazy.

They had invested that pick and that time in him and to cut him at such a young age to make room for a guy who couldn't buy a sack at the college level......Robert Eddins.........was a weird move. The bottom of this roster was pretty barren, if any team was going to hold onto a first round bust until the bitter end then it should have been this one. They have no choice but to move on but when you are re-building you just can't make unforced errors like that.

You have to consider that Merriman factored into the decision at the time.

Since Maybin didn't impress (or didn't want to) on special teams, was it worth keeping the one-trick pony? As they say, hind sight is 20-20.

The amount of money we were paying Maybin was ridiculous considering his limited overall talent.

While the amount we did pay him was rediculous, we were not paying him that much. 15M signing bonus but I don't think he was making much more than 500K per year. We took a 9M cap hit when he was cut, which may have been part of the reason he was cut. Under the new collective bargaining agreement there is a cap minimum (as well as limit) which we were not close to.