Underlying Problem?

uncle flap

Anybody watch or listen to the post-game press conferences the past two weeks?

Chan's presser

I'm hearing a lot of the same sentiment, and it seems to me that Chan has these guys convinced that it is simply a matter or execution, and/or playing harder.

I don't think it's that simple. Yes, the guys played flat. Everyone would've liked to see the Bills get up for a big home game last week. Then after getting smacked in your own house, you'd think the Bills could've played with a little more passion down in Dallas.

Here's the rub: Once again, the play calling has become predictable - on both sides of the ball.

Screens don't work when DBs and LBs are sitting on short routes anyway. Defense needs to be able to make on field adjustments without coaches clearance.

I could go on - but my point here is that even if the Bills were playing tough and "executing," there is still a lot of room for improvement in game planning and play calling.

Here's to hoping that Chan is looking in the mirror and realizing that he (and the rest of the coaching staff) need to put the players in a better position to succeed.

Anyone agree? or is it true that it's just a matter of the players needing to make plays?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan's presser

I'm hearing a lot of the same sentiment, and it seems to me that Chan has these guys convinced that it is simply a matter or execution, and/or playing harder.

I don't think it's that simple. Yes, the guys played flat. Everyone would've liked to see the Bills get up for a big home game last week. Then after getting smacked in your own house, you'd think the Bills could've played with a little more passion down in Dallas.

Here's the rub: Once again, the play calling has become predictable - on both sides of the ball.

Screens don't work when DBs and LBs are sitting on short routes anyway. Defense needs to be able to make on field adjustments without coaches clearance.

I could go on - but my point here is that even if the Bills were playing tough and "executing," there is still a lot of room for improvement in game planning and play calling.

Here's to hoping that Chan is looking in the mirror and realizing that he (and the rest of the coaching staff) need to put the players in a better position to succeed.

Anyone agree? or is it true that it's just a matter of the players needing to make plays?

You get what you pay for. There is most likely a reason why Chan's name hasn't come up in a NFL head coaching job's discussion for a decade now, until the Bills last year.

I am very concerned that Chan seems to think that the talent and scheme are adequate but that the players simply need to be more detail-focused. Hopefully he's just lying when he says that, because it's 100% obvious that this defense is downright easy to play against. I don't know that I've ever seen a defense look this easy for the other team's offense to perform against (even last year's defense had a decent success rate against the pass). There is no way that the problem is simply a lack of focus.

Chan isn't going to fire Edwards midseason because he's been a coach too long for that type of behavior. So unfortunately, we're stuck with this for the rest of the season, even though there are TWO former defensive coordinators on staff right now (Wanny and Bob Sanders). But if Chan won't fire Edwards at the end of the season, then I'm forced to say that Chan needs to go.

I agree with chan gailey....I seen very poor execution across the board yesterday...seen florence give up and whine about a push off...he's been blown up all year...NONE of our DB's turn their heads to look for the ball....the OL missed many line calls and almost got fitzy killed...

But I ask this...does poor execution mean bad coaching? I will say this....good teams with good execution have good coaching! Now this is not a diss to chan...but think before speaking.

He made some great changes in the off season to our offensive playbook.

But he can't seem to make adjustments on the fly (during the season or a game). Not really sure what the right move is.

Agree. A little annoyed at Chan for moving most of the blame to the players. Two horrible gameplans in a row, and a complete inability to adjust. Time for Chan to man up here.

The first play from scrimmage with Ware being unaccounted for tells me that our head coach sucks.

Having McKelvin covering Dez Bryant at any point tells me that our head coach sucks.

Game over, season over, only a couple of minutes into the game. Did anyone here think they still had a chance after those two plays?????

Why's our season over with a winning 5-4 record? Because our head coach does in fact suck.

Agree. A little annoyed at Chan for moving most of the blame to the players. Two horrible gameplans in a row, and a complete inability to adjust. Time for Chan to man up here.

i also agree. i mean if the bills did win, it wouldve been in spite of his game planning.

again, i dont want to put it all on chan, there's a lot of blame to go around.

but for all the "surprising" stuff chan cooked up early in the year - it is no longer a surprise.

the only silver lining coming off these the last two games is that opponents will go back to underestimating the bills.

I think our Dee has pretty consistently sucked. & I don't think anyone in their right mind expects that to be fixed anytime soon. Whether it's talent or scheme IDK, I tend to think it's more scheme - our players can't be that bad.

As for the Offense, they sucked against the Jets. Personally, I don't think they were that poor yesterday. They moved the ball ok. Their output was limited due to terrible defense (as usual) and mistakes (poor rush recognition & some poor passes).

Get the defense to play to a level of mediocrity & we can be competitive, but not dominant.

Chan's presser

Couldn't agree more. They need to make adjustments both offensively and defensively. It is not just execution. They are not executing because opposing defenses are not letting them execute. Time to switch up what you are doing when it repeatedly doesn't work.

I agree with chan gailey....I seen very poor execution across the board yesterday...seen florence give up and whine about a push off...he's been blown up all year...NONE of our DB's turn their heads to look for the ball....the OL missed many line calls and almost got fitzy killed...

But I ask this...does poor execution mean bad coaching? I will say this....good teams with good execution have good coaching! Now this is not a diss to chan...but think before speaking.

Chan knows he doesn't have the talent to win at the NFL level but he can't admit it. He's been around the NFL long enough to know who's capable and who isn't.

Nix said it would take 3-4 years to rebuild and right now that's looking about right for his style. It would be quicker if he got more production out of his draft picks and free agents who, aside from Dareus and Barnett, aren't producing.

Players need to make plays. The short passing game is who this team is. They don't have the QB, OL, or WR's to be the '76 Raiders. When they did adjust and take some shots downfield in the 2nd half last week, people complained about that too.

first of all, i never said i disagree that there was plenty of poor execution - my point is that even if the players executed properly, the game plan and play calling still sucked. everyone has tape on the bills now, they arent surprising anyone anymore like they were at the beginning of the season.

i admit if a few plays had gone differently, the game wouldve been a lot closer. too many dropped balls and too many defenders not finishing the play. but ultimately, the secret is out on beating the bills: sit on the short routes against our offense, and keep running against the D until they stack the box and blitz - then throw deep or screen vs man on man coverage.

on both sides of the ball, the bills are TOO PREDICTABLE. that doesnt have anything to do with execution. im sure you, like me, can tell what play the bills are running as soon as they line up. guess what? so can the opposition

Chan's presser

The Bills have a big line, good fullback, and two very good rb's. When things are not going well why not run the darn football? The cowboys run d was very exploitable. Teams are taking away the passing game and chan is fighting it instead of shifting direction.

What are you talking about? They tried to go deep several times yesterday. Chan knows this.. he damn well knows that DC's are sitting on the short routes and our screens won't work if they are.. Sheesh.. The problem is that Fitz can't seem to connect deep consistently enough for opposing DC's to worry, or scheme for it. Right now they're daring in fact goading us into going deep, and in the event that Fitz's somehow manages to get the deep ball caught, it's still only once or twice a game, and that won't kill ANY opposing DC's game plan..

It absolutley is about execution, and right now, the boys aren't getting it done to any degree worthy of having opposing teams worry about us.

Tim-

how do we explain the 2nd half adustments in the Oak & NE games???? where did that all come from? was is strictly player driven? i cannot believe that....

He made some great changes in the off season to our offensive playbook.

But he can't seem to make adjustments on the fly (during the season or a game). Not really sure what the right move is.

The Bills have a big line, good fullback, and two very good rb's. When things are not going well why not run the darn football? The cowboys run d was very exploitable. Teams are taking away the passing game and chan is fighting it instead of shifting direction.

Because Chan has no confidence in his defense's ability to stop the other team. He thinks he needs to win a shootout every game, and he may not be wrong.

Gailey has been dealt a poor hand and is doing pretty good. Teams now have figured out how to stop the short passing attack and there is not a hell of a lot else in the offensive playbook. There is not a good "plan B", not because of lack of courage to try something new, but because there are not the people to make something else work as well. We will see some new wrinkles but don't expect the Red Sea to part in the next game. Be happy that we stole a few games early. We won't pick first in the draft, but have taken the team off of the floor of the bad teams and crept into respectability. We are getting into the position where a few key players and some luck with injuries and other team's downslides can take us into the playoff team bracket. :thumbsup: