4th and Short - - LONG BOMB

miserable_fan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone actually watch the play? Jones was the only truly open WR at the time of the throw. He ran a great pattern for three yards and then for some reason stopped running and jumped for the ball. If he just keeps running to the back of the end-zone it is an easy catch and TD. Horrible play by Jones.

Chan's play calling is very suspect at this stage in the game. If we need 15 yards were throwing to the line of scrimmage??? looks very similar to Jauron's offense, and Chan's inability to recognize his failures and keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole is very frustrating. I'm starting to wonder about his abilities, but I'm not giving up on him cuz we still have personnel issues that need to be addressed time will tell.

Did anyone actually watch the play? Jones was the only truly open WR at the time of the throw. He ran a great pattern for three yards and then for some reason stopped running and jumped for the ball. If he just keeps running to the back of the end-zone it is an easy catch and TD. Horrible play by Jones.

It goes beyond short pass or long bomb. Jackson has shown he can get 2 yards almost any play or let McIntyre try. Or quarterback sneak on really short. Pick your running play on short yardage. But it seems Chan likes to try to do the unexpected on short yardage and it never works. Sometimes the "expected" play is expected for a reason - because it usually works. I love Chan but sometimes he tends to outsmart himself. Glad he has faith in Fitz but on short yardage don't be afraid to RUN THE BALL!

I totally agree, but how do you know the play wasn't designed to go short and fitz looked up and saw one on one coverage and went for it. I agree the down and distance was a stupid spot to go for it but Gaily isn't the one throwing the ball now is he. So you can't blame Gaily's play calling there, blame Fitz for trying to make something out of nothing. He is a gun slinger and that is what we got so we have to live with the good and the bad of that.

I totally agree, but how do you know the play wasn't designed to go short and fitz looked up and saw one on one coverage and went for it. I agree the down and distance was a stupid spot to go for it but Gaily isn't the one throwing the ball now is he. So you can't blame Gaily's play calling there, blame Fitz for trying to make something out of nothing. He is a gun slinger and that is what we got so we have to live with the good and the bad of that.

May have been designed as a short pass, but my point is run the ball more often on short. Not just this play, it seems to happen in every game. Teams are probably starting to gameplan for us passing on short yardage at this point.

On that fourth and 2 I said to my buddy... Please I hope they don't go for the end zone.. They ran the same exact play last week except this time D. Jones wasnt double covered but the throw wasn't good. And btw Stevie was open on a little 3 yard slant that would have gotten us the first down. I just don't understand the play call. I like the down field throws, but not in critical situation like that. I agree with the OP

Whatever chances the Bills had at mounting a comeback in that game, died on that play.

May have been designed as a short pass, but my point is run the ball more often on short. Not just this play, it seems to happen in every game. Teams are probably starting to gameplan for us passing on short yardage at this point.

I agree we should run more, but teams also know when Freddie is in the backfield he is running or getting thrown to on the screen. We need to mix up personnel and confuse teams not just hand the ball off every time Freddie lines up in the back. Earlier in the season I remember Spiller have an ok day against the Raiders 4 carries for 63 yards because he was getting outside. I Love FJ but I think we need to mix it up a little more with Spiller on those runs to the outside and use his speed.

Apparently our entire offense is predicated on dinking and dunking, screens and running. We stick with this philosophy 99.9% of the time with mixed results. But numerous times this year I see the Bills in a 3rd or 4th and short go deep to Stevie or Jones with an almost guaranteed incompletion.

I'd love for Chan to try these plays throughout the game to keep the defenses honest, but during the most crucial parts of the game(s), you'd think they'd stick to a higher percentage play.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Thoughts... It drives me crazy when I see it.

Hit the nail on the head, I wanted the field goal there hoping that we we would score more TDs latter and then win by 3. Anyway since we went for it I was thinking a quick slant or some other short pass to get the firstdown but NO we have to outsmart ourselves and go deep, thanx Chan :wallbash:

Apparently our entire offense is predicated on dinking and dunking, screens and running. We stick with this philosophy 99.9% of the time with mixed results. But numerous times this year I see the Bills in a 3rd or 4th and short go deep to Stevie or Jones with an almost guaranteed incompletion.

I'd love for Chan to try these plays throughout the game to keep the defenses honest, but during the most crucial parts of the game(s), you'd think they'd stick to a higher percentage play.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Thoughts... It drives me crazy when I see it.

You are aptly named and probably didn't see the coverage on every other receiver.

Thought I was the only one who noticed this in my post on the "We are who we thought we were" thread yesterday. Saw nothing in the media about this stupid decision, and I echo the dude who brings up the Cincy game where they did this 3X in a row on 3rd and less than 5 (20 yd pass plays that fail). Chan/Fitz have a habit for dialing up the exact wrong play at the wrong time, and I don't care if it should be easier on 4th and 2 than 2nd and 2, it's stupid and mismanagement. Didn't even need to go for it there, plenty of time lest in the first half and points were what was needed, but if you're going to go for it, use a 2-4 yard designed play instead of going into the end zone. Because of the rush, I also agree that this play happened fast and Fitz did not look elsewhere, this was where he was going all along.

You are not the only one who has noticed this.

It seems to me we had a number of different plays we relied on early in the season, and have completely gotten away from in favor of "going for the gusto" instead of "moving the chains".

I can't tell you that every D has solved them because I never see them any more.

The only thing I can think is that Fitz to Jones must look awesome (and work) during the week. The thing is, Fitz HAS to set and turn into the throw to be accurate long.

Behind our O-line, especially since the injuries, he doesn't have time to do this.

Then scramble. A much higher percentage than a long shot to an inexperienced receiver with average height and hands.

This.

IF he catches it. Do we even have a receivers coach? If so, he needs to get to work because our guys drop way too many passes. It is bad enough that Fitz isn't very accurate but then when you add in all the drops- it just kills our passing game all together.

It could be me, but I don't think it's the Juggs machine or the receivers coach.

Darryl Talley said something on Twitter to the effect that if you really plaster a guy early, he's "yours for the rest of the game" - he hears footsteps.

What separates a true top receiver from a mediocre one is the degree to which that's true.

I think Jones hears footsteps. I think Stevie is tougher, but not always focused.

You can't coach toughness. Or at least I don't know how.

Just me, maybe

Dude. You could qualify for an olympic medal in leaping to conclusions.

Gailey calls the plays. Fitz executes. Fitz chooses options within the limits Gailey sets.

You start out reasonably by asking "how do we know the play wasn't designed to go short and Fitz went for it?" Good question - but I think what folks are asking isn't "why throw a long bomb instead of a high percentage short pass?" but rather "why call a pass play there instead of a number of different running options, including QB sneak, etc.