CJ Spiller Is going to be a weapon

EldaBillsFan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should have happened after the bye week. Frankly I'm disappointed with the lack of touches for Spiller and Brad Smith.

You have touched on a major point here. The Bills coaching staff, for whatever reason, has failed to get the ball into the hands of two of the best athletes on the team. The failure to utilize Spiller and Brad Smith is downright criminal. These are the type of decisions which reinforce the view that this coaching staff is mediocre at best.

In addition, Fred Jackson has been phenomenal all season and even he doesn't get enough carries. Who is responsible? Chan Gailey.

Gailey will never be more than a mediocre coach.

You have touched on a major point here. The Bills coaching staff, for whatever reason, has failed to get the ball into the hands of two of the best athletes on the team. The failure to utilize Spiller and Brad Smith is downright criminal. These are the type of decisions which reinforce the view that this coaching staff is mediocre at best.

In addition, Fred Jackson has been phenomenal all season and even he doesn't get enough carries. Who is responsible? Chan Gailey.

I am shocked that somebody on this forum had the nerve to write this. Usually any hint at questioning Gailey as anything other than a genius is met with ridicule and derision. I feel that after the two poor play calls that resulted in interceptions in the Giants game, the handoff on fourth and a foot against the Jets, and the propensity for long throws into tight spaces on third down are all examples of a coach that is grasping at straws rather than choosing plays that would have a high probability of success. Maybe he over thinks these things.

I also think that the waterbug back is no longer in style in today's NFL. Big backs with power and spread offenses seem to be the way to go. The defense is too quick for a waterbug to elude them.

Edited by Gray Beard

CJ will be a weapon...when he is wearing a differnt teams uniform. Much like Maybin, this staff has no concept of putting players in a situation where they can succeed. There is no reason we cannot employ both Jackson and Spiller in the same backfield to give the other teams LB something to think of. I guaranty you - when either he is gone, or someone else is coaching him, (doubt it here), he will blossom....

CJ will be a weapon...when he is wearing a differnt teams uniform. Much like Maybin, this staff has no concept of putting players in a situation where they can succeed. There is no reason we cannot employ both Jackson and Spiller in the same backfield to give the other teams LB something to think of. I guaranty you - when either he is gone, or someone else is coaching him, (doubt it here), he will blossom....

I think the losing/small-time culture gets the best of a lot of guys. It shouldn't matter, but it does take a different kind of guy that appreciates playing for a city and franchise like Buffalo. Seems like more and more it is the guys who get passed over and over-looked who appreciate it, and the guys who come in with big reps fail miserably.

CJ is definitely going to be a stud NFL player, but it might not come in Buffalo. He is not being used to his capabilities here and is definitely not an outside receiver. I dont agree with us drafting him because we had other need other needs. there were plenty of excellent offensive lineman in that draft. It's sad that they didn't see how dynamic Freddie was before they went into drafting CJ

Spiller has had plenty of upportunities and come up short. Mostly missed plays.

Brad Smith has also had opportunities and failed to produce.

I do agree with you about Jackson. I hosted a Cowboys fan at my home today and he kept asking me "why don't you guys just keep giving the ball to 22? He gets a first down on almost every play."

Spiller has had plenty of upportunities and come up short. Mostly missed plays.

Brad Smith has also had opportunities and failed to produce.

I do agree with you about Jackson. I hosted a Cowboys fan at my home today and he kept asking me "why don't you guys just keep giving the ball to 22? He gets a first down on almost every play."

Neither Spiller nor Smith has had plenty of opportunities. Jackson should get 25 carries a game and Spiller needs to get at least 15. Spiller and Smith will certainly be called failures if they never get to play. The Bills are a little pass happy at the moment with an average QB. They are a little shy on the run game and they have an excellent RB. That is what you call bad coaching!

Spiller isn't as good as anyone thought he'd be.

Well how can we really determine this. I bet nobody knows that Gailey was personally responsible for the draft of Jammal Charles in KC in the early 3rd round ,saying they need that dimension in their offense and he will be a playmaker, etc.. but guess what happens?Charles had under 20 carries and barely saw the field, and looked like crap that year, for what reason we don't know. Next year, Gailey is fired, and what do you know?!?! Charles breaks out as one of the fastest, most elusive pure Rb's in the league.

Now i'm not comparing the two, that is just some food for thought, because lets be real , Spiller doesn't have a big enough body of work for us to call him a bust, or call him good or great. I know Fred is beasting, but you can mix in 5-10 carries a game for the kid to see how he's growing as a back. I know people will say, "well Gailey only uses 1 back, thats just how his system is" and other people might argue that Fred is too hot to take out right now. Well, in that case, how can you call Spiller a bust? Since Gailey only wants 1 back, that means Just because he isn't playing better than a 30 year old veteran who is running like a man possessed he's a bust? A terrible pick for our team? I'll agree with that, but calling him a bust is just ignorant.

Personally I'm disgusted Gailey is so set in his ways with his "system" that defenses have obviously caught on too. The man seems unable to make the proper adjustments to have us competing, even with the best RB in the game, he's putting it in the mediocre Fitz's hands most of the time, and I dont just mean this week, look at our Run/Pass ratio, and I'm just disgusted we don't run more, maybe 85% Freddy and 15% Spiller to at least see how he is progressing on a whole.

I'm just disgusted we don't run more, maybe 85% Freddy and 15% Spiller to at least see how he is progressing on a whole.

I would be tempted to do this give Spiller a few carries to see what he can do thing. But, we're trying to win games. We got to give us a better chance, Fred, or seeing what Spiller can do?

We could maybe run more, but we got down so far so fast today, we had to play from behind catch up.

I would be tempted to do this give Spiller a few carries to see what he can do thing. But, we're trying to win games. We got to give us a better chance, Fred, or seeing what Spiller can do?

We could maybe run more, but we got down so far so fast today, we had to play from behind catch up.

I don't mean just today, but like I said, I had a problem with Fred's carries the whole season. When you have a RB playing at the level he is, ya gotta feed him the rock, and all year Gailey just removes the running game for stretches at a time, and many times I was left scratching my head.

Of course Fred gives us the best chance, but my point was, if were running the ball as a team, as much as we should, then ya could divide the runs up between them a lil bit, but I believe Freddy only has 20+ carries in 2 games this year!!! The leading rusher has 20 plus carries in only 2 games this year!! That to me is just sickening and unacceptable coaching, do we forget that heartbreaking loss to Cincy? When for some reason Chan abandoned the run when we had a 2 touchdown lead..

I know they were containing Fred but at least run to kill some time, uhh , I can go on and on about this, Gailey is just to stuck in his ways, and that will be his downfall as a head coach in this league .

I'm glad you geniuses aren't running this show.

what were you expecting today? We were almost instantly in a hole. Of course he's not going to get touches. We're going to bash our RB for not being able to haul in a 60 yard bomb over his shoulder? Is that what we drafted him for? He wasn't drafted to be a WR, and he's never played WR the fact that he got open deep in teh secondary should be to his credit....

Dear idiot what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, fantasy football "expert", mouth breathing slob of a fan: You don 't know **** about football.

Spiller has done pretty well with the opportunities he's been given. The problem is that Fred is clearly a No. 1. Now maybe he shouldn't have been drafted where he was with a team that had both Lynch and Jackson when he was picked. Thats fine. But that says nothing about his talent, which is substantial. YOu give the guy 15 carries a game and he'll do just fine.

Good post. At the least we have to give him that opportunity, 15+ touches, before passing judgement.

Still he had a great over the shoulder bomb catch in college, just saying. He can do it all. What about that deep vertical pass he caught on a DB's head last year against the Pats. Everyone seems to forget about that play but it went for 40+ yards, he was lined up outside and made a great catch.

Kid has talent, just isn't used. I really believe that Chan has no faith in CJ's ability to pass protect, Freddie's great at it. Chan's worried he'll blow a blitz pickup, and cost us a turnover. Have to pass protect, especially in this 4 wide sets.

Edit: As the weather gets worse, this 4 and 5 wides will inevitably play a smaller roll. If Fitz can't throw/execute that seam pass to Jones in a dome, or the two fades against the Giants, what hope does he have when the weather turns bad? I'm hoping we start to pound the run more, though I'm betting a lot of the gains are a direct result of the 3-4 wide threat. Interested in seeing how this plays out.

Edited by bouds