Burress' Assault on McKelvin

Joe13

OPI is sort of like intentional grounding - they might as well stop kidding everyone and just officially throw it out of the rulebook. It's such a joke how rarely it's called that when they actually do call it against my team, I feel like throwing bottles at the tv and sending the league office tape of 8,000 other OPI's that weren't called. So whatever, I don't want to get too worked up about the Burress play, even though it was obviously a penalty.

The Holmes play vs the Jackson no-call though, give me a break, that's pathetic. Either both or neither are penalties (I prefer neither). It's unreal that those calls go against us at home.

The unfortunate thing about the non-call on Burress and the PI call on McKelvin -- both of which were absolutely horrific decisions by the refs -- is that each led to a TD. Rather than the Bills trailing, 20-3, The score would likely have been 9-3 in the 4th when Buffalo faced the 4th down decision. Kick the FG to make it a 9-6 game with most of the quarter remaining, and who knows what would have happened.

That's why it's ridiculous for folks to call this game a "blowout" -- Buffalo had made adjustments and was moving the ball pretty well after halftime. Look at the play by play.

I can't wait for the game in NJ in three weeks.

I am not gonna say that this was the turning point, and I really haven't heard many talking about this,

more about the pass interference dubious calls, but the bad spot by the linesman on the catch by, I think

Roosevelt, was a real killer. That was at a very critical juncture in the game, when it looked like the

Bills were going to make a real bid to get back in it.

Now I was watching on TV, and the yellow line that appears on the screen signifying the first down, was about

a half yard behind the next grid line, maybe the 20 or 25. So if the first down was the yellow line, and even if

it was off by a half yard or so, there is no question that from the angle that I saw, at least the nose and possibly

more of the football was over the next gridline stripe, and I am yelling "challenge, challenge", wasn't surprised at all

that Gailey did, and I fully expexted no overrule, for obvious reasons, but when that MF'er "guns" Hoculi goes over to the

hood and comes back in about 30 seconds and says the call stands, I was real close to tackling my big screen TV.

As a matter of fact, I don't think it took them very long to overule the Wilson Interception either. At least make it

look like you really looked at it it hard. Again, not saying that we would have won, and we should have been able to pick

up the first down anyway, but I think we would have seen a huge momentum swing had Buffalo gotten six on that drive.

I thought that was a bad spot too, and read Gailey's lips "should i challenge?" and was glad they did. I thought they got screwed. But the play they called would not have worked in a hundred tries. I don't know why they didn't do a play action or rollout or something not so obvious. The Jets stacked the whole team up there to stop the run, and we got stuffed. Game changer.

this is the 3rd time ive seen freddy get straight assaulted on a pass play that would extend a drive in crucial times usually 3rd down. bengals/giants games where fred runs a route turns to locate the ball and whoever was on him doesnt turn around and runs into fred while fred almost makes the catch behind the defenders back.

its the same thing over and over. drives me insane that the refs are not calling that

Exactly...

Consistency in PI calls is really the issue is it not? If one crew is going to call it tight then they better call it tight on every play...To me, and yes I am biased, the play you are talking about vs. Freddie was textbook PI...Heck the Defender actually knocked Freddie off balance with his back turned and the ball well in the air...The whole thing has gotten to be a joke...I know Rich Eisen has spoken to Periera about this for years now...Some of these are BIG game changing calls...Something needs to be done...B-)

I had to laugh watching the Bears eagles game last nite.. Earl Bennett gets called for Offensive PI for a slight push off and watching Burress assault McKelvin without a flag..

Exactly...

Consistency in PI calls is really the issue is it not? If one crew is going to call it tight then they better call it tight on every play...To me, and yes I am biased, the play you are talking about vs. Freddie was textbook PI...Heck the Defender actually knocked Freddie off balance with his back turned and the ball well in the air...The whole thing has gotten to be a joke...I know Rich Eisen has spoken to Periera about this for years now...Some of these are BIG game changing calls...Something needs to be done...B-)

Edited by garchat80

...it is nice to see unbiased reporting showing what we all know.

Don't know if this was mentioned in some other thread, but did anyone catch the NBC Sunday night pre-game show? Tony Dungy and Rodney Hairball showed/talked about this play. They first showed the weak PI call, then the McKelvin mugging. Dungy just shook their head in disbelief, kind of half laughing and said "If this first one gets called for pass interference, how in the world do you not call it on the second one?"

Horriffic PI calls seem to be the norm across the league this season, not just with the Bills involved. I can't even begin to list the amount of times i've been watching games and was left wondering what the hell the ref saw/how the hell didn't they see a call. There's no consistency, and it seems that anytime a WR is looked at wrong, a flag comes out on the defense.

I know it's not popular around here, but McKelvin has played well. I don't know what mroe he could have done except try and make the horrible pushoff look worse by falling to the ground. The bottomline is the NFL hates physical, defensive football and is becoming a glorified flag football league. I completely understand why but it is really hard to watch at times. Playing cornerback in this league is borderline impossible, unless you're Revis and get every call.