Fitzpatrick isn't a "game manager"

1billsfan

A lot of fans are wondering what the Bills should do against Dallas. Well here's what I think they should do.

I think the Bills have gone away from what was making them so successful earlier in the season. That was having Fitzpatrick and the receivers as the focal point of their attack. The more Jackson was having success running the football, the more the Bills have been going into a shell and turning the once confident Fitzpatrick into a "game manager" type QB. This is the problem. He isn't a "game manager", he's a legitimate passing QB.

The Bills should feature Fitzpatrick throwing to Johnson, Nelson, Spiller (in the slot) and Jackson on screens. When Jackson isn't on a screen pass, he should be chipping on Ware to give Fitzpatrick plenty of time to throw it to the receivers. They should be going no huddle and give Fitzpatrick plenty of options to audible out of bad play calls.

The Bills should try to overwhelm the Cowboys with their offense, then when they're up by a few touchdowns, they can then let Jackson run with the football and start taking time off the clock.

We need to get Fitzpatrick back to what he was or this season is over. I know the football purists think I'm wrong, but if Jackson is the focal point we lose.

Pretty well written post, and I agree with your premise. No matter how good Fred Jackson is, he can not be the focal point of our offense all the time, week in and week out. Even when the Thurman was in his prime, it was still Kelly to Reed, Kelly to Lofton, remember?

The screens this week have to work slow down rob Ryan a lil

And some body is going to have to help levitre with ware, whether it is the guard double teaming him or Scotty Chandler staying in to help or FJ putting I'n a chip block then release into the flats to be a check down option

The other thing it that we have to try move their waffles they have no legit no.2 cb (not that we do either) if you get that shot to jones or even take Stevie onto the other side and take a shot to him. I don't want this to happen every 3rd down or 4th down just when it seems right like maybe first play of the game the eagles did that and it caught them by surprise

I was thinking during the game sunday that with that blitz the jets were bringing, a well executed quick screen would work. Or, a draw.

What they also need to do is perfect the shuttle play to Jackson. On certain passing plays, if the linebackers fall back into coverage then Jackson would be asked to fake a block move and step up into space for the shuttle pass.

It worked for Kelly and Thomas and it should also work and be successful for the guys we have now.

A lot of fans are wondering what the Bills should do against Dallas. Well here's what I think they should do.

I think the Bills have gone away from what was making them so successful earlier in the season. That was having Fitzpatrick and the receivers as the focal point of their attack. The more Jackson was having success running the football, the more the Bills have been going into a shell and turning the once confident Fitzpatrick into a "game manager" type QB. This is the problem. He isn't a "game manager", he's a legitimate passing QB.

The Bills should feature Fitzpatrick throwing to Johnson, Nelson, Spiller (in the slot) and Jackson on screens. When Jackson isn't on a screen pass, he should be chipping on Ware to give Fitzpatrick plenty of time to throw it to the receivers. They should be going no huddle and give Fitzpatrick plenty of options to audible out of bad play calls.

The Bills should try to overwhelm the Cowboys with their offense, then when they're up by a few touchdowns, they can then let Jackson run with the football and start taking time off the clock.

We need to get Fitzpatrick back to what he was or this season is over. I know the football purists think I'm wrong, but if Jackson is the focal point we lose.

Well Said! If we continue to play Jackson ball, what do we do if he gets hurt? Play CJ ball? Give it to Fitz and spread out the WRs. Lets win 30-24 instead of losing 30-14 trying to run the ball. Use Fitz to do what he does best.

They essentially have 2 replacements on the O-line. Levitre is out of position and banged up, he is the 3rd string LT. They were compensating for that against a strong defense. Chan knows (better than you do) what to do with this offense.

You're on to something. I'm not taking anything from the amazing stuff Freddie has done this year, but we've really used the pass to set up his running. Come out 5-wide, fling the ball everywhere, and that will open up the lanes for F-Jax.

#1.. well said and a very reasonable take on Fitz. I would not be surprised if we had alot of press coverage on our Rec to disrupt timing for Fitzmagic offense. we should run Spiller deep route and see if we can maintain a pocket long enough. Who cares if cj catches as long as he threatens(well i do actually) but we need to stretch because i guarantee the ugly brothers talked about how to shut our offense down. it was press and disguise. And please lets us not forget Brad smith this game : (

You're on to something. I'm not taking anything from the amazing stuff Freddie has done this year, but we've really used the pass to set up his running. Come out 5-wide, fling the ball everywhere, and that will open up the lanes for F-Jax.

Thanks, I was hoping for some backup on this!

I also really hope that Fitzpatrick finds his "wheels" again. He was good for at least two first downs a game using his legs.

The coaches need to re-watch the first few games of the season and GET BACK ON TRACK. This running Freddie and having Fitzpatrick "game manage" is a loser, it's choking our team, and it's not what got us the winning record we have now.

Thanks, I was hoping for some backup on this!

I also really hope that Fitzpatrick finds his "wheels" again. He was good for at least two first downs a game using his legs.

The coaches need to re-watch the first few games of the season and GET BACK ON TRACK. This running Freddie and having Fitzpatrick "game manage" is a loser, it's choking our team, and it's not what got us the winning record we have now.

Agree, he's a gunslinger let him sling...

Very interesting thread. I think this theory definitely has some legs to it. Freddie was a beast while running out of passing formations early in the year and we seem to have strayed some from that recently. We'll see this Sunday if Chan feels the same way.

Great Post and your right, spread the field and let Fitz do what he does best, GUNSLINGING!!!!!

Since Week 4, defenses have successfully countered what Buffalo was doing well. As an offense, Buffalo is averaging less than 19 offensive points per game since playing Cincinnati. That's an indicateion to me that they can't counter what defenses are doing.

Like every team, Buffalo needs to adapt to what other teams are throwing at them. It's not as simple as going back to what worked, it's developing a scheme to be one step ahead of opponents. Teams will always take away your strength, and good coaches can tell by now what Buffalo can and can't do. The Bills need better talent on both sides of the ball, because coaching alone won't win games.

Edited by BillsVet

<br />Since Week 4, defenses have successfully countered what Buffalo was doing well.  As an offense, Buffalo is averaging less than 19 offensive points per game since playing Cincinnati.  That's an indicateion to me that they can't counter what defenses are doing.  <br /><br />Like every team, Buffalo needs to adapt to what other teams are throwing at them.  It's not as simple as going back to what worked, it's developing a scheme to be one step ahead of opponents.  Teams will always take away your strength, and good coaches can tell by now what Buffalo can and can't do.  The Bills need better talent on both sides of the ball, because coaching alone won't win games.<br />
. Best post in the thread.

Not to be smart ass but a good team plays to their strength and lets the rest develop around that. We should not worry ( as we did with Jets ) about opposing defense we need to step up as individuals and make plays They stopped us from doing what we are very good at, the spread and the quick ball. our receivers need to get off the press better and the line need to read the blitzes If we keep changing what we were doing we will keep getting pushed around. we would have been better served expanding the play of Brad and cj and Fitz needs to clear his head and get back on the horse

i agree we need more from our players on defense but we do slowly improve each week it seems to me. slowly.

But the Bills vet comment is very true in that we sure need to know what the opposing team is bringing and make adjustments to counter THEIR strengths and take advantage of their weaknesses a little more.

Lastly, coaching cannot finish games only the players with good coaching behind them can

Those twelve-step drops have got to end. That's how we end up with the third-and-thirteens. Fitz has got to learn to stand tall, and throw quickly out of that pocket. Also Fitz has go to get in the habit of making teams PAY for their turnovers. Three-and-outs after Drayton florence INT's are unacceptable.