Aikman as Analyst

I grew increasingly annoyed with Troy Aikman's harping on the 'Skins being decimated by injuries. True, they've lost a few offensive starters. But for a while, it sounded like he was attributing the Bills' success more to the opponent's injuries than the effectiveness of the Bills game plan. He did not mention how Gailey had to make adjustments to fill holes in the roster--apparently, lining up a RB as a wideout to compensate for an injured wideout didn't make it to Aikman's game notes. Then the lightbulb came on. Who cares? Playoff teams dismember weaker opponents. If they are decimated by injuries, all the more reason to crush them. The Bills looked like a team that *really* wants the post-season.

Or when he described the Bills as "struggling" this season. How is 4-2 struggling? Failing to mention Bills injuries, like playing our 3rd string LT?

I find Aikman's tone annoying in general so there's really nothing he could say that wouldn't irritate me in some way. Lets just be thankful that he covers the NFC and hope we don't have to hear him covering the Bills again this year.

I grew increasingly annoyed with Troy Aikman's harping on the 'Skins being decimated by injuries. True, they've lost a few offensive starters. But for a while, it sounded like he was attributing the Bills' success more to the opponent's injuries than the effectiveness of the Bills game plan. He did not mention how Gailey had to make adjustments to fill holes in the roster--apparently, lining up a RB as a wideout to compensate for an injured wideout didn't make it to Aikman's game notes. Then the lightbulb came on. Who cares? Playoff teams dismember weaker opponents. If they are decimated by injuries, all the more reason to crush them. The Bills looked like a team that *really* wants the post-season.

or moving their starting lg to lt, because we were without our starting and backup lt. Let alone our #2 wr, Parrish, Easley, Merriman done for the year. Injuries to Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Torrell Troupe. It was just the "skins injuries" Ya know cause everyone else has shutout the skins this year.... Oh wait nope....no they didn't. I generally like Aikman as a analyst. Although his voice is a little rough to listen to, he usually breaks things down well. Much better than the likes of Phil Simms. With that said though I watched the game at a bar without sound, as the main game was ne/pitt, but it's no secret Aikman is not all that fond of Gailey.

Edited by Stealth

Or when he described the Bills as "struggling" this season. How is 4-2 struggling? Failing to mention Bills injuries, like playing our 3rd string LT?

I find Aikman's tone annoying in general so there's really nothing he could say that wouldn't irritate me in some way. Lets just be thankful that he covers the NFC and hope we don't have to hear him covering the Bills again this year.

I agree with the other posters in general. However I did find it nice that he called out the Redskins for not going no-huddle or even showing any urgency in the 4th quarter until their last drive. Too often that happens and it is never mentioned. Things weren't going well for them, but the Redskins basically quit.

I thought the same thing when he said the Bills were struggling, but then I thought maybe he was talking about the defense, so I was going to give him a pass. I was so annoyed though by him and Thom Brennaman by the end of the game though that they mad me clamor for Solomon Wilcots. In fact, I think they were by far the worst announcing duo I heard all year.

or moving their starting lg to lt, because we were without our starting and backup lt. Let alone our #2 wr, Parrish, Easley, Merriman done for the year. Injuries to Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Torrell Troupe. It was just the "skins injuries" Ya know cause everyone else has shutout the skins this year.... Oh wait nope....no they didn't. I generally like Aikman as a analyst. Although his voice is a little rough to listen to, he usually breaks things down well. Much better than the likes of Phil Simms. With that said though I watched the game at a bar without sound, as the main game was ne/pitt, but it's no secret Aikman is not all that fond of Gailey.

At the beginning of the game, he actually talked up Gailey a little bit. He said that Jerry Jones always said that firing Gailey was the worst move he ever made...all the while I'm thinking, "Wasn't it YOU who wanted him gone?"

Anyways, Aikman kept harping on the Bills for the wildcat plays saying how much he hated what it does to a QB and the offense. He even went so far as to say when he played they tried to install the wildcat on third downs to which Aikman replied, "Well you better be ready to use it on first and second down too cause I'm heading to the showers."

At the beginning of the game, he actually talked up Gailey a little bit. He said that Jerry Jones always said that firing Gailey was the worst move he ever made...all the while I'm thinking, "Wasn't it YOU who wanted him gone?"

Anyways, Aikman kept harping on the Bills for the wildcat plays saying how much he hated what it does to a QB and the offense. He even went so far as to say when he played they tried to install the wildcat on third downs to which Aikman replied, "Well you better be ready to use it on first and second down too cause I'm heading to the showers."

You know that was Gailey he was talking about. No way was it Norv Turner or Ernie Zampese who was suggesting the wildcat. He dodged that issue a bit after he said it, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was talking about Gailey and only Gailey.

I have generally regarded Aikman as the best color-man in the NFL. I changed my mind last night.

He was brutally awful yesterday. I didn't see it as biased - he just sounded like he was drunk - or maybe re-concussed somehow.

Twice he repeated the same exact comment his play-by-play guy had made - not to reinforce it - but as if he didn't realize he was repeating it.

In fairness to the bizarre sounding "struggling team" comment - I think later he clarified it to the Bills defense he was referring to - and that certainly is fair. The Redskins were having offensive troubles, and from their perspective, had every reason to think the team with the 30th run and 30th pass defense would be chance to get their offense back on track.

I really do wonder about Aikman's sobriety - there was some reference to his partying in Toronto over the weekend.

In the end - if we want national media types to know who the heck the Bills are and what they are doing - they need to win and they need to make the playoffs. Hopefully we're getting there.

I have generally regarded Aikman as the best color-man in the NFL. I changed my mind last night.

He was brutally awful yesterday. I didn't see it as biased - he just sounded like he was drunk - or maybe re-concussed somehow.

Twice he repeated the same exact comment his play-by-play guy had made - not to reinforce it - but as if he didn't realize he was repeating it.

In fairness to the bizarre sounding "struggling team" comment - I think later he clarified it to the Bills defense he was referring to - and that certainly is fair. The Redskins were having offensive troubles, and from their perspective, had every reason to think the team with the 30th run and 30th pass defense would be chance to get their offense back on track.

I really do wonder about Aikman's sobriety - there was some reference to his partying in Toronto over the weekend.

In the end - if we want national media types to know who the heck the Bills are and what they are doing - they need to win and they need to make the playoffs. Hopefully we're getting there.

Dude was all over the place in TO getting toasted...nicely toasted...

Each week I read posts about the TV announcers and comments made during the broadcasts and each week I miss out on that by choice. For years now as a sirius subscriber with Sunday ticket with DVR I just do a 9 count pause and usually have TV video and play by play synched to perfection.

Now that 97 rock streams play by play via it app as well as other internet radio streaming apps on a smart phone are more people using the radio stream and DVR pause feature? I haven't tried to figure out the delay on the smartphone app side but figured if others had posting the tips here may allow for others to get a better play by play and analysis along with injury information you never get on the TV feeds.

So how many others do what I do and listen to Bills feed to not have to listen to TV announcers rambling on??

This was his first time ever doing a Bills game, hopefully it will be his last.

Aikman was horrendous.

My favorite was when it was like 3rd and 17 and Stevie caught a pass for 13 yards. Aikman: "That's inexcusable; you need to know where the first down marker is."

Huh? On 3rd and 17??

Aikman's tone is arrogant, what he says displays arrogance, and his commentary is otherwise just abysmal.

For what it's worth, I think the play you're referring to was a third-and-12 for a 10-yard gain.

I also noticed some arrogance. Didn't give the Bills much credit.

Edited by GOBILLS78

Aikman was horrendous.

My favorite was when it was like 3rd and 17 and Stevie caught a pass for 13 yards. Aikman: "That's inexcusable; you need to know where the first down marker is."

Huh? On 3rd and 17??

Yup. A 3rd and 17 play takes so long to develop that the QB is almost certainly going to have to chuck and duck.

I thought the same thing when he said the Bills were struggling, but then I thought maybe he was talking about the defense, so I was going to give him a pass. I was so annoyed though by him and Thom Brennaman by the end of the game though that they mad me clamor for Solomon Wilcots. In fact, I think they were by far the worst announcing duo I heard all year.

Remember, the Bills have been so bad for so long the top announce teams haven't covered them in what, 8 or 9 years?? Aikman said this was the 1st time in 10 years in the booth he had a Bills game. Bills have a long way to go to get back in the NFL conversation, pls remember we live and breathe this team. The rest of the NFL basically forgot (until now) there was a franchise in WNY. Give it time. Bengals, Lions, Rams going through the same thing. Just keep winning and it will come. Will take until end of next season, some prime time games, etc. before the announce teams remember that it's Fitzpatrick, not Fitzgerald.

I could only see the first half on TV, and actually have considered Aikman to be serviceable as a color man, but was struck by how stiff Aikman was on the subject of Gailey. Very early in the game. Brenneman lofted a softball about how Gailey had coached Aikman in Dallas and took them to the playoffs twice, and all Aikman could say in response was: "Yeah, but we did not win a playoff game under him, and he didn't last much longer after that." Nothing in that statement is untrue, but it really struck me as ungracious, as if Aikman was unable to say something bitter, at least to start.

On the other hand, I do agree with earlier posters who noted that announcers are front-runners. This is especially true of national announcers, since their actual knowledge of the teams they are presenting is quite thin and based on obvious talking points. Once it is clear that one team is dominating, they can quickly shift into "everything they do is great" mode.

That being said, I would consider Aikman's early comments more of a reflection of his actual feelings and thoughts, and it would not surprise me if he was told to dial that back over the course of the game.