Clayton compliments gailey but thinks playoffs on hold

From his espn inbox

Q: I've harped on you pretty badly about my Buffalo Bills, and one question you hadn't answered still lingers: Has Chan Gailey changed the culture in Buffalo enough to really start to bring the organization back to prominence?

Bills fan

A: Gailey has turned pessimism into optimism and that is a change toward the positive. I was thinking anything around six wins would be progress, but now the Bills have a chance at an eight- or nine-win season, which is great progress. The offense is exciting. The defense is better. Fans have to be excited. All of this may not translate into a playoff season, but at least the Bills are in the hunt now and they will get better next year under Gailey.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7151047

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

nine wins...been saying we should expect that since the end of last season. I'm a little bit more optimistic than Clayton in that I think with continued good play and the good game day coaching that has been Gailey's trademark, and a little bit of stumble by the pats we might just make the playoffs.

This makes me question if he knows what he's talking about. If the defense doesn't get TOs, they suck. Pure and simple. Hopefully the TOs return Sunday. Go BILLS !!

They are better than last year, Why does that make you question him?

"chance at an eight or nine win season" -- are you kidding me? The Bills have a "chance" at an eleven win season. Eight is almost a given looking at the remaining opponents.

Clayton is so apathetic towards anything other than his big-market insider buddies it's ridiculous.

From his espn inbox

Q: I've harped on you pretty badly about my Buffalo Bills, and one question you hadn't answered still lingers: Has Chan Gailey changed the culture in Buffalo enough to really start to bring the organization back to prominence?

Bills fan

A: Gailey has turned pessimism into optimism and that is a change toward the positive. I was thinking anything around six wins would be progress, but now the Bills have a chance at an eight- or nine-win season, which is great progress. The offense is exciting. The defense is better. Fans have to be excited. All of this may not translate into a playoff season, but at least the Bills are in the hunt now and they will get better next year under Gailey.

Given the state of the Bills defbse I would say his comments are reasonable. The Bills may sneak into the playoffs but until they can stop being a low speed bump against the run they will not be a lock to get there.

From his espn inbox

Bills fan

Seems like a very fair thing for him to say? Was there an issue with it?

This makes me question if he knows what he's talking about. If the defense doesn't get TOs, they suck. Pure and simple. Hopefully the TOs return Sunday. Go BILLS !!

Well, honestly reddog, we have pretty much the same defense this year, as last...but the Bills are getting more turnovers than last year...so that is our improvement....last year, this time, the Bills were 0-6. It may be splitting hairs (bad is bad), but the defense is slightly improved, just by the addition of the turnovers into the equation. If the Giants had a turnover, or two last game, we might be 5-1 right now.

BTW- as for Clayton, those saying he is weird looking...I remember watching a Super Bowl preview show a few years ago, live from the stadium...media day I think. Sal Palantonio was on the screen talking, and in the background, you could see John Clayton. Clayton turned, his back to the camera, to walk away, and, swear to god, he had a pony-tail about half-way down his back...I have never been able to look at him the same way since! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

I agree the defense against the run and pass has sucked this year, but in his defense, I think the Bills have already matched last years total for interceptions, so maybe he was referring to that when he said it is getting better. He said getting better, which doesn't take much after last year, he didn't say it was a dominating force.

"chance at an eight or nine win season" -- are you kidding me? The Bills have a "chance" at an eleven win season. Eight is almost a given looking at the remaining opponents.

Clayton is so apathetic towards anything other than his big-market insider buddies it's ridiculous.

You are right they have a "chance" at an 11 win season, actually they have a chance at a 12 win season, but you aren't being realistic. After watching the Giants game, the way the defense played, the way Fitz played, the first half against the Pats, the first half against the Raiders, the second half against the Eagles, etc. do you really think they can go 9-1 the rest of the season? Optimistically maybe an 11 win season, realistically an 8-9 win season would be about correct. My guess looking at the schedule is that we end up 9-7, and like I said the game we gave away in New Jersey ends up costing us a Wild Card spot.

I agree the defense against the run and pass has sucked this year, but in his defense, I think the Bills have already matched last years total for interceptions, so maybe he was referring to that when he said it is getting better. He said getting better, which doesn't take much after last year, he didn't say it was a dominating force.

You are right they have a "chance" at an 11 win season, actually they have a chance at a 12 win season, but you aren't being realistic. After watching the Giants game, the way the defense played, the way Fitz played, the first half against the Pats, the first half against the Raiders, the second half against the Eagles, etc. do you really think they can go 9-1 the rest of the season? Optimistically maybe an 11 win season, realistically an 8-9 win season would be about correct. My guess looking at the schedule is that we end up 9-7, and like I said the game we gave away in New Jersey ends up costing us a Wild Card spot.

The last line of your post drives me crazy - Not logical at all - If we go 9 and 7 and miss the playoffs b/c 10 and 6 gets us in, you CANNOT blame that on one specific loss - Why not blame it on the Cinci loss? Or one of the other 5 (some of which were likely close)? Am I missing something here? Also, say we won that game, everything changes from that point forward, so you can't assume the next 10 games go the same way as the next 10 with a loss (eg, we could be 10 and 5 before last game of the season vs. 9 and 6, which would likely change the approach to that last game).

You miss my point. When you say a team has a "chance" at a particular record, you're saying that is somewhat of a stretch goal. That's how I view the Bills at 11-5; not probable, but possible.

When Clayton says the Bills have a "chance" at eight or nine wins it's an insult, no matter how you slice it. The Bills should expect eight or nine wins at this point. It's getting to ten or eleven where the "chance" comes into play.