Coach Fired For Profanity In Locker Room

Linky

Any of you guys listen to this? I understand parents being upset in a small way, but seriously this would have fired me up as a kid. I dont see why this guy needs to lose his job, make an apology save some face. Before people make assumptions about him being a hot head I think he was pretty sincere, and im sure this was well deserved. What do you guys think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky

Any of you guys listen to this? I understand parents being upset in a small way, but seriously this would have fired me up as a kid. I dont see why this guy needs to lose his job, make an apology save some face. Before people make assumptions about him being a hot head I think he was pretty sincere, and im sure this was well deserved. What do you guys think?

The guy sounds like a raving nut to me. The line "you don't understand when I talk to you like a person" sounds like it comes from someone with an abusive personality. I wouldn't want to play on his team. I bet he was horse or had sore throat the next day!

Linky

AS a coach I will say that if anyone thinks profanity is not used in just about ANY high school locker room then they are kidding themselves......

Here are my thoughts....I have no problem with the cussing....but as a football coach you cannot just lose it and go off because it doesnt focus on any real things that are going on in a game for instance....

"I am tired of living with this @hit" or whatever he said or "go XXXking play golf"

instead

"I am tired of watching watching XXXXXXX offensive linemen picking up their own QB off the ground on every play....STOP LETTING defenders shoot gaps on you......HOLD if you have to.....but I dont want to see the QB with mud in his facemask one more XXXXXXXing time in this game!

Or something like that.

I think we have a lot of people coaching youth athletics in this country that take themselves way too seriously.

You can say this is commonplace and have heard worse, but that doesn't make it right. He's not coaching adults and is not being paid to win football games for financial gain like a college or pro coach. He is coaching children. His primary job is to educate those children on physical fitness, teamwork and sportsmanship. In short -- he should be teaching them to grow up to not be douche-bags who scream at kids.

Plus, if you need to resort to screaming, profanity and threats to "motivate" 15-17 year olds, you are in the wrong profession. The guy who coaches the HS team in my town has won 5 state titles in recent years and there's never been a hint of this kind of nonsense.

I understand they are kids, but i can say first hand sports changed my life. I dont mean this as a direct insult to anyone, but i feel like people who arent in sports as a kid can become prone to thinking that the world and life should always be fair.

High Schools keep playing fields level for everyone,when in real life it doesnt work that way. He may have went overboard, but learning to win on the field and be competitive translates very well to a capitalistic society.

The go play golf comment, HILARIOUS!!!

AS a coach I will say that if anyone thinks profanity is not used in just about ANY high school locker room then they are kidding themselves......

Here are my thoughts....I have no problem with the cussing....but as a football coach you cannot just lose it and go off because it doesnt focus on any real things that are going on in a game for instance....

"I am tired of living with this @hit" or whatever he said or "go XXXking play golf"

instead

"I am tired of watching watching XXXXXXX offensive linemen picking up their own QB off the ground on every play....STOP LETTING defenders shoot gaps on you......HOLD if you have to.....but I dont want to see the QB with mud in his facemask one more XXXXXXXing time in this game!

Or something like that.

Thanks for the input John. He definitely should have worded things better, and thats where you could say his lapse in judgement came out.

Edited by AReed Deep For 7

Saw this earlier. I had a coach like that, we were scared shitless of him but we played hard for him.

He got into a tackling drill one day, tackled a 6-2 240 pound RB, kicked a lineman in the stomach then made the whole team run a mile.

We won that week

Hey I went to Sweet Home Too!

Saw this earlier. I had a coach like that, we were scared shitless of him but we played hard for him.

He got into a tackling drill one day, tackled a 6-2 240 pound RB, kicked a lineman in the stomach then made the whole team run a mile.

We won that week

Kicked a kid in the stomach- sounds like a real peach.

instead

"I am tired of watching watching XXXXXXX offensive linemen picking up their own QB off the ground on every play....STOP LETTING defenders shoot gaps on you......HOLD if you have to.....but I dont want to see the QB with mud in his facemask one more XXXXXXXing time in this game!Or something like that.

That's the most intelligent use of explitives I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

Linky

Pretty sure every coach I ever had would have been fired!!

Kicked a kid in the stomach- sounds like a real peach.

O he was a dick. I personally hated the man but he knew how to win a football game.

Day before a game our top two RBs got suspended for drinking at a dance. backup QB plays RB that day rushes for 170 yards. next game he got hurt, put in the 4th RB he rushed for 155 yards, next game he got hurt, 5th RB ran for 160 yards.

I actually saw him at the Ralph this year haha

I never had a coach that used profanity and they were all effective and intimidating and gotthe results they wanted. Tha tsaid, I have no problem with using profanity in a coaching situation. You should not go overboard, but kids hear it everywhere. The world is too PC. I bet the PC police don't want Marine drill instructors to swear.

I grew up playing hockey and by the time I was a senior, I was pretty disgusted with sports mainly due to overbearing, ignorant coaches and parents who are living pathetically and vicariously through teenage athletes. I'm happy to have a daughter and one with no interest in sports because I would have had a hard time dealing with youth sports.

It's about the kids having fun. If you think you're impacting kids lives the hour or so a day you have them for a season you're kidding yourself. 99% of athletes play sports for the friendships and the games. Winning matters sure but it's not everything and if they think that kids are playing for coaches, they're missing the point. Kids go to school all day, they have homework and school obligations and pressures and sports... believe it or not... is a release for them. It's a time to have fun with their friends after school and do something they enjoy.

I'm sorry but I hate high school coach guy. You know, the guy who'se entire pathetic life is about high school sports. He wants and needs his identity to be "coach" often wearing his schools colors and clothes all the time. When I see a 30- or 4-something guy in public running pants and and shirt/jacket/hoodie with the high school logo on it, I laugh. That's what you worked for your whole life and thats the image you want to portray, as the coach of some high school sports team? How pathetic.

I'm not dimishing the sport or the athlete, I'm saying the coach hasn't considered that its not as important to the kids as it is to him. What's worse is, most local high school coaches are also teachers and only got into teaching as an avenue to coach and put the coaching ahead of the teaching. I have a lot of friends and family who teach and these coaches talk sports all day and its all they care about and they never talk about teaching, the importance of impacting the lives of students or getting having their kids excel in the classroom. Maybe if they put a scoreboard in the classroom and made academics more openly competitive, they'd care. We should get away from letting teachers coach.

My hatred of these losers was only made worse after college (when I walked off after walking onto my college hockey team for similar reasons) when I went to work for a small local newspaper and had to cover local sports. I met one great coach who breaks the stereotype and was likely influential in the lives of his players but the rest were the stereotrypical coach. And the sample size is probably 8 schools and many of their coaches.

There is a local girls basketball coach that IMO(as well as other coaches, athletes, parents, etc) has no business whatsoever coaching teenage girls due to his mistreatment of them. Anyone who has ever stood outside his lockerroom at halftime when they are losing will hear a lot of what you hear in this audio.

OK, end of rant. You can tell I hate what high school sports has become and the coaches who act like this jagoff.

instead

Or something like that.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Chicago-coaches-players-charged-with-battery-fo?urn=highschool-wp7703

Your thoughts on the situation? - - would it make a difference if positional instruction was being simultaneously provided?

I think we have a lot of people coaching youth athletics in this country that take themselves way too seriously.

You can say this is commonplace and have heard worse, but that doesn't make it right. He's not coaching adults and is not being paid to win football games for financial gain like a college or pro coach. He is coaching children. His primary job is to educate those children on physical fitness, teamwork and sportsmanship. In short -- he should be teaching them to grow up to not be douche-bags who scream at kids.

Plus, if you need to resort to screaming, profanity and threats to "motivate" 15-17 year olds, you are in the wrong profession. The guy who coaches the HS team in my town has won 5 state titles in recent years and there's never been a hint of this kind of nonsense.

Amen and amen.