Coach Fired For Profanity In Locker Room

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he led through example, which is tough to do. But there's no reason that that style wouldn't translate to kids.

I've always found that it's more effective as a leader to get people to follow you out of love and respect as opposed to out of fear.

There are a lot coaches who haven't used this style. Tom Landry, Don Schula, Marv, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren. I don't think Coach Gailey uses these tactics and he motivates his guys.

There are a lot coaches who haven't used this style. Tom Landry, Don Schula, Marv, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren. I don't think Coach Gailey uses these tactics and he motivates his guys.

I agree...add Lovie Smith to that list too. These men have proven you can build a winning team in a classy & dignified way. I don't feel however, that this guy should lose his job. He seems sincere in his regret & deserves another chance.

I never had a coach that used profanity and they were all effective and intimidating and gotthe results they wanted. Tha tsaid, I have no problem with using profanity in a coaching situation. You should not go overboard, but kids hear it everywhere. The world is too PC. I bet the PC police don't want Marine drill instructors to swear.

Is swearing part of the PC thing? It doesn't have anything to do with the usual set of race/gender stuff, and opposition to it tends to come from religious groups.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this speech. So he yelled and cursed? Big deal. Would I talk that way to kids, or adults, for that matter? No. But everyone has different personalities. I bet even Chan Gailey lets out an occasional rise in tone or cuss word.

The taping of an unsuspecting person, in a location that any reasonable person would expect as private--a locker room--and the publication of it online...that is the true offense. It's a violation of privacy in the extreme.

Our priorities / standards / ethics are seriously out of whack here.

Reminds me somewhat of that gay college kid who committed suicide after his loser roommate posted a video from a hidden cam of him online. The bedwetting PC crowd was obsessed, completely obsessed, over the "homophobic" angle instead of the sickening invasion of privacy that it was.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

His own words after the fact contradict this sentiment.

Like he, and many other coaches, haven't talked that way before? If we analyze everything we said, and the tone in which we said it, and displayed it to the public for all to hear, you and I probably would apologize at some point too.

It's called public relations. By apologizing, and letting his supporters rile the troops up, he looks better.

I wish I had audio of my TI in basic training. He kind of hurt my feelings. :cry:

There used to be a thing in this world called privacy.

It still exists. Just not if Google, Apple, Facebook, email marketers, street cams, TSA, NSA, CIA, local police or state police do it.

Like he, and many other coaches, haven't talked that way before? If we analyze everything we said, and the tone in which we said it, and displayed it to the public for all to hear, you and I probably would apologize at some point too.

It's called public relations. By apologizing, and letting his supporters rile the troops up, he looks better.

I wish I had audio of my TI in basic training. He kind of hurt my feelings. :cry:

It still exists. Just not if Google, Apple, Facebook, email marketers, street cams, TSA, NSA, CIA, local police or state police do it.

Or smartphones, GPS, FBI, ATF, DEA, IRS... :angry:

I grew up playing hockey and by the time I was a senior, I was pretty disgusted with sports mainly due to overbearing, ignorant coaches and parents who are living pathetically and vicariously through teenage athletes. I'm happy to have a daughter and one with no interest in sports because I would have had a hard time dealing with youth sports.

It's about the kids having fun. If you think you're impacting kids lives the hour or so a day you have them for a season you're kidding yourself. 99% of athletes play sports for the friendships and the games. Winning matters sure but it's not everything and if they think that kids are playing for coaches, they're missing the point. Kids go to school all day, they have homework and school obligations and pressures and sports... believe it or not... is a release for them. It's a time to have fun with their friends after school and do something they enjoy.

I'm sorry but I hate high school coach guy. You know, the guy who'se entire pathetic life is about high school sports. He wants and needs his identity to be "coach" often wearing his schools colors and clothes all the time. When I see a 30- or 4-something guy in public running pants and and shirt/jacket/hoodie with the high school logo on it, I laugh. That's what you worked for your whole life and thats the image you want to portray, as the coach of some high school sports team? How pathetic.

I'm not dimishing the sport or the athlete, I'm saying the coach hasn't considered that its not as important to the kids as it is to him. What's worse is, most local high school coaches are also teachers and only got into teaching as an avenue to coach and put the coaching ahead of the teaching. I have a lot of friends and family who teach and these coaches talk sports all day and its all they care about and they never talk about teaching, the importance of impacting the lives of students or getting having their kids excel in the classroom. Maybe if they put a scoreboard in the classroom and made academics more openly competitive, they'd care. We should get away from letting teachers coach.

My hatred of these losers was only made worse after college (when I walked off after walking onto my college hockey team for similar reasons) when I went to work for a small local newspaper and had to cover local sports. I met one great coach who breaks the stereotype and was likely influential in the lives of his players but the rest were the stereotrypical coach. And the sample size is probably 8 schools and many of their coaches.

There is a local girls basketball coach that IMO(as well as other coaches, athletes, parents, etc) has no business whatsoever coaching teenage girls due to his mistreatment of them. Anyone who has ever stood outside his lockerroom at halftime when they are losing will hear a lot of what you hear in this audio.

OK, end of rant. You can tell I hate what high school sports has become and the coaches who act like this jagoff.

I am assuming you weren't that good at sports then!

I grew up playing hockey and by the time I was a senior, I was pretty disgusted with sports mainly due to overbearing, ignorant coaches and parents who are living pathetically and vicariously through teenage athletes. I'm happy to have a daughter and one with no interest in sports because I would have had a hard time dealing with youth sports.

It's about the kids having fun. If you think you're impacting kids lives the hour or so a day you have them for a season you're kidding yourself. 99% of athletes play sports for the friendships and the games. Winning matters sure but it's not everything and if they think that kids are playing for coaches, they're missing the point. Kids go to school all day, they have homework and school obligations and pressures and sports... believe it or not... is a release for them. It's a time to have fun with their friends after school and do something they enjoy.

I'm sorry but I hate high school coach guy. You know, the guy who'se entire pathetic life is about high school sports. He wants and needs his identity to be "coach" often wearing his schools colors and clothes all the time. When I see a 30- or 4-something guy in public running pants and and shirt/jacket/hoodie with the high school logo on it, I laugh. That's what you worked for your whole life and thats the image you want to portray, as the coach of some high school sports team? How pathetic.

I'm not dimishing the sport or the athlete, I'm saying the coach hasn't considered that its not as important to the kids as it is to him. What's worse is, most local high school coaches are also teachers and only got into teaching as an avenue to coach and put the coaching ahead of the teaching. I have a lot of friends and family who teach and these coaches talk sports all day and its all they care about and they never talk about teaching, the importance of impacting the lives of students or getting having their kids excel in the classroom. Maybe if they put a scoreboard in the classroom and made academics more openly competitive, they'd care. We should get away from letting teachers coach.

My hatred of these losers was only made worse after college (when I walked off after walking onto my college hockey team for similar reasons) when I went to work for a small local newspaper and had to cover local sports. I met one great coach who breaks the stereotype and was likely influential in the lives of his players but the rest were the stereotrypical coach. And the sample size is probably 8 schools and many of their coaches.

There is a local girls basketball coach that IMO(as well as other coaches, athletes, parents, etc) has no business whatsoever coaching teenage girls due to his mistreatment of them. Anyone who has ever stood outside his lockerroom at halftime when they are losing will hear a lot of what you hear in this audio.

OK, end of rant. You can tell I hate what high school sports has become and the coaches who act like this jagoff.

FYI...sports is often the foundation that helps people become successful. You develop a strong work ethic, dedication, know what it means to sacrifice for the good of others, learn how to set goals and follow though......What you said above is very incorrect and insults many good people out there. Most coaches coach because somebody had a positive influence on them..... it's called "paying it forward." A person like you that is very opinionated and likes to point the finger at others is NOT a team player...you seem to be a self person that is very good at making excuses. What do you do to give back to the community and to make a difference in kids? I hate people that have complaints and no answers. Those are the kids that do not survive in my program. They are called "quitters."

Edited by fishgrappler

FYI...sports is often the foundation that helps people become successful. You develop a strong work ethic, dedication, know what it means to sacrifice for the good of others, learn how to set goals and follow though......What you said above is very incorrect and insults many good people out there. Most coaches coach because somebody had a positive influence on them..... it's called "paying it forward." A person like you that is very opinionated and likes to point the finger at others is NOT a team player...you seem to be a self person that is very good at making excuses. What do you do to give back to the community and to make a difference in kids? I hate people that have complaints and no answers. Those are the kids that do not survive in my program. They are called "quitters."

Do you come with an applicator? I need to flush my nether-regions.

Do you come with an applicator? I need to flush my nether-regions.

I don't understand the point of your post? You really think that was a DB response on my part?

I guess that's your opinion. (I do like the way you stated that...I may adopt that method).

Edited by fishgrappler

I coach HS varsity football down state. He did not deserve to get fired. Its a violent sport. I may not have cursed that way, but Ive seen much worse. A suspension maybe, not fired.

I could see that suspension may be a better option but.... Why is the cursing required material in so many minds? Does it make you play harder on Friday if your cursed at vs disciplined without it? Does violence mandate cursing? I was never a fan of that style coach. Should it happen - no big deal. If that's the only way you can lead or motivate then there is an issue. It just screams taking the easy way out.

I couldnt possibly agree more. I was always smart in school, but sports taught me the intangibles that allowed me to apply my brain to life skills. Without dedication, goals, and a Get-Er-Done attitude thats sports teach results in a waste of talents.