Buddy's moves

I see the source of nix mistakes ... Most notably spiller pick and merriman signing ... Coming from trying to make us chargers-light. I think this is unwarranted deference for a team that never made the super bowl with him.

If you take those errors away he's actually been pretty solid otherwise.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like somebody left their box of wheaties out and some one took a dump in them.....

The Bills are 4-2 and one of the better offenses in the league. Their line has been said to be a huge question mark, yet have the fewest sacks and Freddie is one of the best backs in the league.... Just do us all a favor and stop putting negative things on here because most fans are on a high and feel good. Misery likes company so do it elsewhere...........

The Bills are 4-2, and like 90% fo the teams in the league, have their strong suits and their weaknesses. GB is about the only complete team in the NFL right now. Yes, the defense needs to get better, but if we keep winning while working on the defense, that's a good thing, no?

And of course it took a thread like this to get BillsVet out from under his rock. Hand't seen him around here much with all the winning we've been doing.

I wouldn't bring up Dareus either. He looks to be OK and on the road to getting better, but he's a weak pass rusher and is living up to the pre-draft comparisons that he's not nearly the player that Suh is. The knock on Dareus comong out was that he relatively one dimensional -- a dominant lane clogger but not agile enough to become a strong pass rusher.He should end up being a good player, but christ, he was the #3 pick overall. He better be good.

A lot of what Dareus does will not show up on stat sheets. He pushes back the l.o.s., and this is something we haven't seen since Big Ted and Pat Williams. Also, when was the last time we used a number 1 pick on a defensive lineman? Erik Flowers? I like the pick, as well as the frame of mind when he drafted Troup and Carrington.

Also, Nix made an extremely bold move at WR. He traded Evans, and wound up with a bunch of receivers who get open. I have to praise this as well. I was screaming for the Bills to sign Boss, but Chandler has played very well. Another good move, ya know Dave?

The Spiller pick was a head scratcher to say the very least, but Nix/Gailey got lucky with the production of Fred Jackson.

I guess we always say this, but this coming draft will be the most important one we face for a while. Want a linebacker? Alabama has 3 that look great. They also have DBs that look like players and you won't have to burn a #1 to get one.

Offensive skill players are playing well for us and don't look to be our problem. Next year, Gailey/Nix look to be in a position to move the team to a higher plateau.

We can only hope.

• Kraig Urbik
  • Dwan Edwards
  • Nick Barnett
  • Erik Pears
  • David Nelson
  • Scott Chandler
  • Marcell Dareus
  • Donald Jones
  • Chris Hairston

All solid contributors drafted or signed by Nix.

I can't stand when people don't read the thread and then post the same exact thing as someone else.

The Bills are 4-2, and like 90% fo the teams in the league, have their strong suits and their weaknesses. GB is about the only complete team in the NFL right now. Yes, the defense needs to get better, but if we keep winning while working on the defense, that's a good thing, no?

And of course it took a thread like this to get BillsVet out from under his rock. Hand't seen him around here much with all the winning we've been doing.

I've been here all along. Where've you been?

Nice try.

OP is right, I don't know why people get so upset with these threads. 5-10 years from now nobody will grade the front office based on the W/L record in the first six games of 2011. This same thread could've been made in 2008 and would've gotten the same "stop being debbie downer" replies. That's not to say I wouldn't rather have Nix than Marv but he is not the reason we're 4-2; Fitz, Freddy & Chan are. You can give Nix credit for hiring one of them, but not for the guy he tried to replace with his 1st draft pick.

Nix has brought competition to all positions that his contribution. Getting Spiller or Merriman doesn't hurt the team at all.

Agreed, also how is Spiller supposed to even get on the field the way Freddie is playing right now? I guess if he cant beat out the 3rd or 4th best RB in the league he must be a bust.

Agreed, also how is Spiller supposed to even get on the field the way Freddie is playing right now? I guess if he cant beat out the 3rd or 4th best RB in the league he must be a bust.

Sigh, he still drafted him 9th overall with said 3rd or 4th best RB in the league on the team.

Plain and simple, we are a bigger and better football team than we were before Nix got here. In year 2 of the rebuild we can actually compete with any team in this league. So suck on it nancies and actually enjoy this winning record

So true and isn't it a great feeling!

Sigh, he still drafted him 9th overall with said 3rd or 4th best RB in the league on the team.

Listen he was good the last few years, but he is a different RB this year. He is clearly having the best year of his career.

In light of Merriman's move to IR let's look at Nix's moves:

- 2010 Draft they by pass needs on defense and QB for a reach at Spiller who has done minimal. This could have been forseen as Spiller and Bush are same RB 'scat back' that Nix and Gailey wanted so much. I have no problem saying that Spiller is a bust and was great in college but this is the pros. If you can't learn to run straight betweeen the tackles by now then there is a bigger issue here. Nix wanted Spiller to succeed so they could cut Jackson. You don't take a first round RB and not want to start him. Jackson is doing well and benching him would only cause a problem. Look for Bills to procrastinate on Jackson's contract. They will say he's 30 and wants to0 much money. Spiller to start for Bills next year while Jackson goes to another team.

- The so called QB competition when they obviously wanted to give the job to Edwards. Reason they talked about competition was to really please media and fans to make it look like they cared. Reality was they were hoping Gailey's QB magic would work on Edwards rather than looking at the tape of previous years on Edwards and seeing that he was not starter material. Bills love mediocrity and Fitz fits that mold. We'll prob lock him up for a few years. If Cam was on the board he would have been a Bill but there was no way to go wrong with out #3 pick. With the new CBA agreement structuring out rookie contracts Ralph Wilson prob got a hard on for the first time by not paying the high gauranteed money.

-Merriman was on decline in San Diego after injuries....Nix picked him up. Great move for leadership but leadership only goes so much if ur not on the field to back up the talk. The light has gone out. Point is this was a Nix decision.

-I am 50/50 if Nix gives the $ Stevie is looking for. We do need him but depends on what he's asking.

Nix as GM has made some very questionable moves and while the Bills are doing well it mostly part to Gailey's system and these players showing they belong. I love all these guys and what they stand for. Nix does not have the 'eye' for talent and has proven that....why do we have him? He's cheap, old school, and will ask daddy's permission before making any type of move. Be weary of the future.

I, for one am happy with the moves made. Just like the Statler building won't be done in a week(will be done in phases), Nix took over a REALLY bad situation and he just started last year. This will be done in phases. I was happy with phase 1 and even happier with phase 2. It'll be next season before I will comment on the 2010 draft(Spiller, Truope, etc.). Maybe this year's draft too.

As for the QB thing, He had to start someone. As soon as they determined he sucked, they got rid of him. I don't understand the critisism. I guess Hindsight is being used to judge the moves. If only it worked that way.

One more thing: I think your comment on Nix and an "eye" for talent is way off base. He helped build the Bolts into a damn good team for 7-8 yrs. If only we had that type of "eye" during that time. Before I see any questions regarding how many Super bowls the Bolts have been to or won, spare me. They have been a better franchise than us for the last 10 yrs. I'll take the Bolts record during that time over our any day, oops I meant any decade.

Edited by Dopey

Listen he was good the last few years, but he is a different RB this year. He is clearly having the best year of his career.

Part of any new GM's job is evaluating incumbent players (which they all claim to do in tirelessly watching film after they take the job). "How good can this guy be in the offense we want to run", "how important of a position is this", and "how imperative is it that we upgrade here" are all questions/decisions that are a part of that process. Yes, Freddie is having his best year to date, but he hasn't come out of nowhere to resurrect a busted career. If they're shocked by how good he is, they missed on their evaluation.

Great thread OP. Just because Buffalo is 4-2 doesn't mean there aren't long term personnel issues that haven't been solved in Nix' 2 years as GM. Gailey has definitely covered over a lot of these talent issues and has the team playing hungry, but to win in the AFCE they need more talent at multiple positions, such as OT and OLB.

FJ is signed through 2012 and Buffalo, I believe, will eventually increase his pay. I just find it ironic that many of the major players on the roster aren't Nix draft picks or UFA signings: Fitz, FJ, Johnson, Levitre, Wood, and Byrd. Dareus has been very good and Barnett a good signing, but giving guaranteed money to a guy clearly washed up and not offered much if anything by 31 other teams should say something about Nix.

Why does it not suprise me that you agree with the OP?

Plain and simple, we are a bigger and better football team than we were before Nix got here. In year 2 of the rebuild we can actually compete with any team in this league. So suck on it nancies and actually enjoy this winning record

Let's face it, some people here aren't happy unless they are miserable.

Buddy has from day one stated that his job is to bring competition to all positions on the field. Draft, Free Agency Whatever. Signing Merriman to a two year deal wasn't a bad move. He wasnt' given a whole lot of money. It was a gamble. If Merriman returned to form you would be praising him. It didn't work out and it didn't cost a whole lot. If anything Merriman has helped this team with his attitude, leadership, and teaching the younger guys. Merriman is done now we get to see what the young guys can do full time. Battan, Moats, Coleman, have a chance to become something.

Spiller wasn't a bad signing either. It was the first year with Chan and they needed offensive playmakers. Spiller had trouble with the speed of the game and blitz pickup. He has improved in both areas. In the times he has carried the ball this year he has looked good. If Freddie gets hurt people will be happy that Spiller is on the team. You can count me as one of hte people who are didn't think much of Fred Jackson. I saw the talent but his age scared me. He has looked good this year. Spiller is hard pressed to take playing time from him. Spiller will be the feature back some day. I don't think the Bills will resign Fred once his contract is up. 30 year old running backs are not getting 50 million dollar deals.

I have Spiller and Jackson on my fancy team. I will be starting both this weekend.