Mort reports tremendous progress for Fitz contract

FluffHead

WR have been depleted and there are guys on the WR corp who I'm not sure will be back next year. Guys like Parrish, Easley, and (God forbid) Stevie Johnson. We will have to address this position in the offseason regardless.

I would love to see the Bills draft a stud WR next year and then continue to go all defense again. Someone in the mold of a Megatron or Andre Johnson. Stevie's route capability and big physical WR who can stretch the field would makes our offense awesome.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who don't like this deal want Andrew Luck. It's obvious. Luck will probably be going 1st overall if Carolina or Jaguars don't have the first pick. Luck will then go 2nd. The Bills will not be picking in either of those spots. To trade up you would have to give half of 2012 and part of the 2013 draft to get him. The Bills have needs in other areas. Pass rusher, Safety, WR to name a few.

No, you're wrong. I know andrew luck will never be a bill. I don't see why we should pony up 12 mill a year right NOW. If its 9 mill, go for it. But 12 mill a year is a lot of money for a guy that has had a handful for great games. Wait a few games, see if he can keep it up, then give him 12. If he doesn't, give him 9. There's a big difference. 3 mill can sign a good player. I want fitz to be our man, but I don't see why we have to sign him right NOW. There's time, no reason to rush like he is a FA right now. He likes it here. He likes our offense. He is successful here. He will sign on the dotted line in a few weeks. Maybe for 3 mill less, which will help us in the long run. We're under tha cap now, but we have a lot of guys to sign in the long run

According to Football Outsiders, the Bills have the 4th toughest remaining schedule in terms of pass defenses we're facing... Will be tough for Fitz to maintain his success. The timing of the deal is interesting,

Why is it interesting? Some reports say they have been working on this for months. They are just closer to an agreement. Why read too much in to this?

No, you're wrong. I know andrew luck will never be a bill. I don't see why we should pony up 12 mill a year right NOW. If its 9 mill, go for it. But 12 mill a year is a lot of money for a guy that has had a handful for great games. Wait a few games, see if he can keep it up, then give him 12. If he doesn't, give him 9. There's a big difference. 3 mill can sign a good player. I want fitz to be our man, but I don't see why we have to sign him right NOW. There's time, no reason to rush like he is a FA right now. He likes it here. He likes our offense. He is successful here. He will sign on the dotted line in a few weeks. Maybe for 3 mill less, which will help us in the long run. We're under tha cap now, but we have a lot of guys to sign in the long run

If you don't know that you want to sign Rtan Fitzpatrick after THREE Seasons of practices and games. What are the next 3 games going to show you?

It's just silly to suggest you're going to base a 5 year 50 mil dollar deal on the next 3 games.

It's even sillier to squabble over 1-3 mill a year when we both know the Bills will never bump against the salary cap.

You sign your QB now because you are an executive for an NFL franchise and you have determined after three seasons of watching a player that you want them to continue to lead your team.

You don't waffle and wait and let the player become a free agent. That is a much worse place to put the franchise that you are chartered with making a success. Odds of success in 2012 and 2013 go way down without Fitz.

Thinking there are no teams dying to sign Fitz for 10mil a year after draft day, is a sillier idea than the idea of waiting a few more games.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Why is it interesting? Some reports say they have been working on this for months. They are just closer to an agreement. Why read too much in to this?

It is interesting,

The Buffalo Bills should wait a few more games in my opinion to see If Fitzpatrick reverts back to his fumbling, bumbling ways of the past.

If and when Fitz gets the Bills into playoff contention, then talk business...

It is interesting,

The Buffalo Bills should wait a few more games in my opinion to see If Fitzpatrick reverts back to his fumbling, bumbling ways of the past.

If and when Fitz gets the Bills into playoff contention, then talk business...

Spoken like someone that works at 7-11.

"Yeah you can just find a highly skilled leader of men on a tree. If he doesn't get to the playoffs we cut him loose and give Tyler a shot. Hey that's what I do down down by the docks. If they ain't liftin boxes fast enough, I go get someone that will. "

What is your plan, Mr. Wait and See, when he signs with another team for 11 mil a season? and brings Stevie with him?

Spoken like someone that works at 7-11.

"Yeah you can just find a highly skilled leader of men on a tree. If he doesn't get to the playoffs we cut him loose and give Tyler a shot. Hey that's what I do down down by the docks. If they ain't liftin boxes fast enough, I go get someone that will. "

What is your plan, Mr. Wait and See, when he signs with another team for 11 mil a season? and brings Stevie with him?

Why so serious? Spoken like a McDonalds manager that has just run out of French fries

You draft a young and promising QB prospect like Andy Dalton, (something we should have done already)

Gailey can take average WR's and signal callers and win football games, he's done it before and Gailey will do it again.

Seems like somewhere down the line a GM is going to say " You know what, this Chan Gailey fella is pretty darn good with QB's, I'll bet you If I get my HC an above average QB he might just win a championship"

Edited by Fig Newton

Why so serious? Spoken like a McDonalds manager that has just run out of French fries

You draft a young and promising QB prospect like Andy Dalton, (something we should have done already)

Gailey can take average WR's and signal callers and win football games, he's done it before and Gailey will do it again.

Seems like somewhere down the line a GM is going to say " You know what, this Chan Gailey fella is pretty darn good with QB's, I'll bet you If I get my HC an above average QB he might just win a championship"

A + for the first part

We didn't draft Dalton.

If if and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Sounds like you don't have a plan if Fitzy walks because you want to waffle.

There isn't a good back up plan if Fitzy walks that's why you pay him 5 years 50 mil and get the deal done yesterday.

<br />If you don't know that you want to sign Rtan Fitzpatrick after THREE Seasons of practices and games. What are the next 3 games going to show you?<br />It's just silly to suggest you're going to base a 5 year 50 mil dollar deal on the next 3 games. <br />It's even sillier to squabble over 1-3 mill a year when we both know the Bills will never bump against the salary cap. <br />You sign your QB now because you are an executive for an NFL franchise and you have determined after three seasons of watching a player that you want them to continue to lead your team. <br />You don't waffle and wait and let the player become a free agent. That is a much worse place to put the franchise that you are chartered with making a success. Odds of success in 2012 and 2013 go way down without Fitz. <br /><br />Thinking there are no teams dying to sign Fitz for 10mil a year after draft day, is a sillier idea than the idea of waiting a few more games.<br />
. Great point. Touché. I always hear, "it's a business". The buffalos bills focus is to sign Fitzpatrick to the lowest salary possible in order to have more money to pay other players, strengthening the team. One thing is for sure, Fitzpatrick won't be signing with anyone but us over the next several weeks. He likes it here. He likes the coach, his teammates, the city, the game plan, the fans. Your sentence is the reason I want to hold off. You mention we should know if we want the guy after watching him for 3 years. After watching him in Cincinnati and ST louis, I was convinced didn't want him. After the first year here, in thought he was a solid backup. After last season, some of us were sold on Fitzy as our qb of the future, some of us were not. I thought he was a tough leader that can execute our game plan and rally the team. I was not convinced that he was a great passer. I thought if had a great season, we would lock him up. Hes had a great 4 games and 2 average/below average games. IMO, it's not enough to warrant signing him right now. Since he can't sign elsewhere, we have time. Use the time. As of now, we're 4-2 and he's the 5 rated qb in the league. Both, MUCH better than I wouldve anticipated. 12 mill a year, is MUCH more than I had anticipated as well. There are 10 more games to be played and no one knows what the future holds. If we finish 0-10, while fitz sucks it up, we'll be crying about that contract. If he goes 10-0,he'll still make right around 12 mill per.

My point is, fitz can't go ANYWHERE, right now. There's still lots of games to be played. Many things can happen. If Fitz takes an Adrian Wilson helmet to his noggin, things may take a turn. At this moment, everything is in fitz favor, but any given play, the momentum can turn. I don't see why we have to sign him right now. If the FO wants to sign him, they will. If they decide to take their time, I'll be happy. If they they decide to sign him now, I'll be happy too, as I like the guy, but as a business decision, I think waiting a bit would be ideal.

just my opinion. There is no right or wrong here.

. Great point. Touché. I always hear, "it's a business". The buffalos bills focus is to sign Fitzpatrick to the lowest salary possible in order to have more money to pay other players, strengthening the team. One thing is for sure, Fitzpatrick won't be signing with anyone but us over the next several weeks. He likes it here. He likes the coach, his teammates, the city, the game plan, the fans. Your sentence is the reason I want to hold off. You mention we should know if we want the guy after watching him for 3 years. After watching him in Cincinnati and ST louis, I was convinced didn't want him. After the first year here, in thought he was a solid backup. After last season, some of us were sold on Fitzy as our qb of the future, some of us were not. I thought he was a tough leader that can execute our game plan and rally the team. I was not convinced that he was a great passer. I thought if had a great season, we would lock him up. Hes had a great 4 games and 2 average/below average games. IMO, it's not enough to warrant signing him right now. Since he can't sign elsewhere, we have time. Use the time. As of now, we're 4-2 and he's the 5 rated qb in the league. Both, MUCH better than I wouldve anticipated. 12 mill a year, is MUCH more than I had anticipated as well. There are 10 more games to be played and no one knows what the future holds. If we finish 0-10, while fitz sucks it up, we'll be crying about that contract. If he goes 10-0,he'll still make right around 12 mill per.

My point is, fitz can't go ANYWHERE, right now. There's still lots of games to be played. Many things can happen. If Fitz takes an Adrian Wilson helmet to his noggin, things may take a turn. At this moment, everything is in fitz favor, but any given play, the momentum can turn. I don't see why we have to sign him right now. If the FO wants to sign him, they will. If they decide to take their time, I'll be happy. If they they decide to sign him now, I'll be happy too, as I like the guy, but as a business decision, I think waiting a bit would be ideal.

just my opinion. There is no right or wrong here.

You have the luxury of waiting if you have a contingency plan.

I don't believe the Bills have a contingency plan.

I would hate to see the start of another recycling project in 2012.

And it would be shocking if the Bills don't get 4 more wins, which means they're out of the Luck, Landry, Barkley running.

So you wait if you have a guy on your bench you'd be happy with starting in 2012.

10 mil a season for a starting QB isn't cost prohibitive.

Fitzy has a great backup plan, most likely coming off back to back 3,000 yard seasons with 20+ TDs. A top 7 QB. He will get paid well on the open FA market.

There is a sense of urgency because the closer Fitzy gets to FA the closer he might see greener pastures.

10 mil a season in Buffalo or 12 mil a season in Miami . . .

We didn't draft Dalton.

If if and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Sounds like you don't have a plan if Fitzy walks because you want to waffle.

There isn't a good back up plan if Fitzy walks that's why you pay him 5 years 50 mil and get the deal done yesterday.

No, we didn't draft Dalton, Ryan Mallet or hell, even Greg McElroy, who could do the same thing Ryan Fitzpatrick is doing with better accuracy,

If early round busts were candy and nuts the Buffalo Bills could open up a candy factory...

Edited by Fig Newton

No, we didn't draft Dalton, Ryan Mallet or hell, even Greg McElroy, who could do the same thing Ryan Fitzpatrick is doing with better accuracy,

If early round busts were candy and nuts the Buffalo Bills could open up a candy factory...

So I'll take that, as you agree the Bills' best option is to sign Fitzy for something like 5 years, 50 mil ASAP.

the fact that som eyoung guys are comming in and doing well at QB only helps the Bills if you really think about it.

I mean you can draft a quality young talent comming out of college in the second round and pay him the new rookie salary for 3-4 years.

Now i am not saying the bills shouldn't try to lock Fitz up, but also want to be smart about it.

If Fitz puts a continious season together of play like the first 6 weeks, then he deserves that 5 year 50mil contract.

I also am not abig fan of doing deals lik ethis mid season. Lets say Fitz gets the new deal, thats a lot of pressure with no time to adjust.

How many fans will turn on him if he goes out and has more games like he did against the Giants, then he did against the Pats?

Thinking there are no teams dying to sign Fitz for 10mil a year after draft day, is a sillier idea than the idea of waiting a few more games.

after draft day? Really? Who's the last 10m FA qb that sat around in FA for months waiting?maybe I misunderstood?

after draft day? Really? Who's the last 10m FA qb that sat around in FA for months waiting?maybe I misunderstood?

Good catch, I meant before.

Who is the last FA QB?

Drew Brees?

Teams Very rarely let Quality QBs hit Free Agency.

And San Diego had their heir apparent.

If the Bills let Fitz walk with no plan it would be off the charts in boneheaded moves.