Carson Palmer to Raiders

judman

I'm not a huge Palmer fan but in 2010 he had 4k yards passing, 61.8% completions with 26 TD's and 20 int's. That seems pretty good wouldn't you say?

Palmer had an almost statistically identical year to Fitz in 2010. Keep in mind Fitz only played in 13 games.

PTR

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Palmer took a pay cut to $2.5 mil this year in order to fit under the Raiders salary cap. Here's his salary for the next 3 years:

2012 12.5 mil

2013 13.5 mil

2014 15 mil

So with the current team the Raiders have on the field right now, they are already $10 mil over the salary cap next year. Hey Raider Nation, look on the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about signing any draft picks!

Edited by QCity

So Palmer took a pay cut to $2.5 mil this year in order to fit under the Raiders salary cap. Here's his salary for the next 3 years:

2012 12.5 mil

2013 13.5 mil

2014 15 mil

So with the current team the Raiders have on the field right now, they are already $10 mil over the salary cap next year. Hey Raider Nation, look on the bright, at least you don't have to worry about signing any draft picks!

Just win baby! Just bypass the draft baby!

2012 12.5 mil

2013 13.5 mil

2014 15 mil

So with the current team the Raiders have on the field right now, they are already $10 mil over the salary cap next year. Hey Raider Nation, look on the bright, at least you don't have to worry about signing any draft picks!

Is any of that guaranteed?

Perhaps they traded two high draft picks for a 3.5 year QB.

Palmer's best days are 5 years behind him. The move was for this year and it will end up blowing-up in their faces as they have picks in just rounds 5 and 6 next year.

Perhaps they traded two high draft picks for a 3.5 year QB.

That's why I initially listed his salary for the next 3 years, and was mocking their cap trouble. Doc asked what was guaranteed, as if to hypothetically ask what they are on the hook for if it doesn't work out. I was just pointing out that they are on the hook for a lot for than $5 mil - meaning the 2 draft picks (if Palmer doesn't work out).

• 3 weeks later...

I called it when it happened... One of the most asinine trades in the history of the NFL! You don't give up a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for a soon to be 32 year old QB who hasn't done much since 2007. LaCanfora reported the next highest bid for Palmer was a solitary 3rd round pick. If I were GM, the most I would've gave is a 4th rounder and Palmer would still be in CIN. Now there are reports that Jason Campbell could come back this year and START?! Talk about a mess! This is what happens when your organization doesn't have a GM in place. I only wish it was us who fleeced the Raidahs. Thigpen for a 2nd and 4th.

EDIT: Foot in mouth as I check the box score, completely oblivious to last night's game. I still think this was a bad trade and will cause more headaches than wins in the future...

Edited by JayBaller10

• 1 month later...

13 TDs 16 INTs 80.5 Rating. He's actually not even playing as good as Campbell was. :doh:

Nobody ever wants to listen about Jason Campbell. For his entire career he has basically had a new OC every year. His numbers are just fine but everybody dogs him. I wanted us to bring Campbell to Buffalo when the Trent Deadwards travesty was still in progress. Everybody said how terrible he is etc. The guy is just fine at QB.

He's not a guy you want to MAKE your team but he can be a good QB ON your team. Kind of like Fitz. Don't expect him to BE the team but he is good enough to be the starter ON the team.

Nobody ever wants to listen about Jason Campbell. For his entire career he has basically had a new OC every year. His numbers are just fine but everybody dogs him. I wanted us to bring Campbell to Buffalo when the Trent Deadwards travesty was still in progress. Everybody said how terrible he is etc. The guy is just fine at QB.

He's not a guy you want to MAKE your team but he can be a good QB ON your team. Kind of like Fitz. Don't expect him to BE the team but he is good enough to be the starter ON the team.

I agree. When he was in Washington, there was a lot of turnover at the head coaching/offensive coordinator positions and their line was in shambles. It looked like he was going to have a pretty good season in Oakland this year too. Now Oak is one big clusterf**k - with an owner who doesn't know what he's doing, more turnover at head coach, and they just mortgaged their future for an aging QB who isn't as good as the backup.

I agree. When he was in Washington, there was a lot of turnover at the head coaching/offensive coordinator positions and their line was in shambles. It looked like he was going to have a pretty good season in Oakland this year too. Now Oak is one big clusterf**k - with an owner who doesn't know what he's doing, more turnover at head coach, and they just mortgaged their future for an aging QB who isn't as good as the backup.

I disagree somewhat (about the owner who doesn't know what he's doing part) - bringing in a real GM to run the team, having Ron Wolf head up the search, and giving him the authority to make changes that need to be made (such as firing a power-hungry head coach) look to me like signs of good judgment and steps to eventually get the team on track. They may have a rough few years recovering from the trade though, it really was a disaster.

Edit: And also, hiring an assistant GM from GB seems like a pretty reasonable move.

Edited by MRW