DT Kyle Williams

Brand J

I think most of us have been wondering where Kyle has been and why he hasn't been able to take advantage of rookie/backup centers and offensive guards. The reason is in: he's been playing hurt all year. I say rest him against the NYG and let him come back after the bye week.

He was held out of practice Wednesday for the Bills, but Kyle Williams foot injury has been an issue far longer than just this past week. The nagging problem worsened this past Sunday when he drove off the injured left foot the wrong way. Now Buffalo’s Pro Bowl defensive tackle is just trying to heal up in time for this week’s game at the Meadowlands against the Giants.

“Hopefully I can go out and play and go win a football game and then I’d have two weeks to rest up and get ready for the second half of the year,” said Williams in reference to Buffalo’s Week 7 bye. “I’ve always been pretty quick with healing, but it’s an irritating thing and it’s been bothering me. It came to a head on Sunday and hopefully we can manage it and get it under control where I can go out and be effective.”

Williams would not disclose the nature of his foot injury, but said he knew back in training camp that it was going to be something he’d have to deal with the entire season. At times the injury has compromised Williams’ trademark explosion off the ball that makes him such an effective interior penetrator.

“It’s a pretty sensitive spot in my foot. Once I get warmed up and going it’s been okay, but it came to a head Sunday,” he said. “I thought someone had fallen and hit me in a bad spot, but I just came off of it in a bad way and couldn’t do anything. Hopefully we can get some strength back in there and calm the inflammation down and play on Sunday. That’s what I want to do.”

The defensive lineman said his foot has improved considerably since Monday as he’s able to do more on his injured foot. Knowing he has three more days to heal up and improve he’s encouraged about his chances of being in the lineup Sunday, but practice is another story.

“I’m going to do whatever I can,” said Williams. “I think as far as game plan goes, I think we’re in agreement with the coaches that I can take my reps watching film and talking about it in the room. You want to get out and practice, but they also want me to get some rest and get the inflammation calmed down and then we make a decision on Sunday morning probably.”

With Buffalo’s bye week coming up next week Williams seems to prefer playing this week knowing he’s got two weeks to heal it up after Sunday’s game for the back half of Buffalo’s 2011 schedule.

“I want to be out there and I want to play,” he said. “If it’s at all possible where I can play and help our guys I’m going to do it. You deal with things weekly in the NFL. The thing that concerned me was if I couldn’t do something. I feel like we’re moving in the right direction. I could do some things (Wednesday) that I couldn’t do (Tuesday) and I’ve got a few more days to get better and get ready, so I expect to play.”

DT WIlliams wants to play Sunday

i agree especially if troupe can play.

What is up with Troupe? I read somewhere that his lower back was stiff. Shite my back is stiff everyday. Why cant this guy get out there and play? Do we get anybody back from injuries this week?

Edited by Fan in San Diego

We all want him to play, but there is no reason to push this injury more than it has been. We need Kyle to be the player that we saw last year, not the one that has been out there injured this year. We already have shown the ability to get QB pressure from our front 3 or 4. Imagine the possibilities with a fully healthy KW? I want the win at NYG, but I think it can be done without Kyle. I watched the Seahawks down the G-men last week. I know for certain that we are a better team with or without Kyle.

What is up with Troupe? I read somewhere that his lower back was stiff. Shite my back is stiff everyday. Why cant this guy get out there and play? Do we get anybody back from injuries this week?

If you have a stiff back every day then you should know that a stiff back and playing DT would not go well together.

I think most of us have been wondering where Kyle has been and why he hasn't been able to take advantage of rookie/backup centers and offensive guards. The reason is in: he's been playing hurt all year. I say rest him against the NYG and let him come back after the bye week.

lol wrong. in the other kyle williams thread, you would think he was using mortal kombat finishing moves to defeat o-lineman based on the backlash i got for questioning his play.

i'm glad to hear he's been nursing an injury because i don't think he's been all that effective.

Troup has had a weak back since about a week back.

lol wrong. in the other kyle williams thread, you would think he was using mortal kombat finishing moves to defeat o-lineman based on the backlash i got for questioning his play.

i'm glad to hear he's been nursing an injury because i don't think he's been all that effective.

There's a significant difference between seeing he hasn't been his same self and saying that he sucks.

If you have a stiff back every day then you should know that a stiff back and playing DT would not go well together.

I still do my job everyday no matter what. I'm wondering what a stiff back means to Troupe? It is just such a vague description. It makes me question the injury. I question his threshold of pain.

I'll give you two examples of where threshold's of pain can change and my perspective on pain thresholds. An employee of mine and I were talking under an oak tree, an acorn fell and hit him point first on the top of his head. He carried on for 5 minutes about how much that hurt. I mentioned to him that he had a low threshold of pain. About a year later, he had a bad accident with a propane heater. It exploded and burned his legs and few other areas. It took him months to recover. We talked about the painful treatments he endured. I reminded him about that day with the acorn, he just laughed at how nothing that small would ever bother him again.

My own son was involved in a horrible dune buggy accident. His leg was shattered and it took a year to get back to 95%. That experience has forever changed his definition of what real pain is and his pain threshold. Just last night he tore off his toenail because it was bothering him. I squirmed at the sight of that.

My point being that different people have different pain thresholds based on their experiences in life. I'm speculating that Troupe has a low threshold to pain, given the lack of details.

I still do my job everyday no matter what. I'm wondering what a stiff back means to Troupe? It is just such a vague description. It makes me question the injury. I question his threshold of pain.

I'll give you two examples of where threshold's of pain can change and my perspective on pain thresholds. An employee of mine and I were talking under an oak tree, an acorn fell and hit him point first on the top of his head. He carried on for 5 minutes about how much that hurt. I mentioned to him that he had a low threshold of pain. About a year later, he had a bad accident with a propane heater. It exploded and burned his legs and few other areas. It took him months to recover. We talked about the painful treatments he endured. I reminded him about that day with the acorn, he just laughed at how nothing that small would ever bother him again.

My own son was involved in a horrible dune buggy accident. His leg was shattered and it took a year to get back to 95%. That experience has forever changed his definition of what real pain is and his pain threshold. Just last night he tore off his toenail because it was bothering him. I squirmed at the sight of that.

My point being that different people have different pain thresholds based on their experiences in life. I'm speculating that Troupe has a low threshold to pain, given the lack of details.

haha, dune buggy....didnt even know those were real (not trying to make light of your sons injury whatsoever)

Kyle's a stud and a real pro.

When you have a "stiff back" it's not just pain, it's muscle inflammation around the spine, and the spine itself could be out of sorts. Depending on where exactly in the back, that can effect a variety of things. Not only is the spine, and muscles surrounding it very important, many nerves travel through there as well that effect various parts of your body.

As someone who has had back issues for 20 years, I assure you, if he's out due to back stiffness, it's a good thing he's out. If he goes in there, he could do permanent damage to his back or other parts of his body at worse, and at the very least he won't get effective push or acceleration, and would be very inflexible.

For all we know, it might not be about pain, and it might instead be about capabilities.

A DT can play with a broken hand and a cast, that might hurt like hell, but if you take away his ability for an "explosive" acceleration and power because of a bad back, the pain level matters little.

Edited by Dorkington

Google imperial sand dunes, dune buggies, rail cars. You should get some good you tube videos. It is a blast to say the least.

Here is a link to sample dune buggies. This video is a little extreme, most people are not jumping like that.

When you have a "stiff back" it's not just pain, it's muscle inflammation around the spine, and the spine itself could be out of sorts. Depending on where exactly in the back, that can effect a variety of things. Not only is the spine, and muscles surrounding it very important, many nerves travel through there as well that effect various parts of your body.

As someone who has had back issues for 20 years, I assure you, if he's out due to back stiffness, it's a good thing he's out. If he goes in there, he could do permanent damage to his back or other parts of his body at worse, and at the very least he won't get effective push or acceleration, and would be very inflexible.

For all we know, it might not be about pain, and it might instead be about capabilities.

A DT can play with a broken hand and a cast, that might hurt like hell, but if you take away his ability for an "explosive" acceleration and power because of a bad back, the pain level matters little.

I agree, I screwed up my back in a motorcycle accident 20 plus years ago. Given the lack of info, a stiff back, who knows?

Seriously,

How long did it take you to come up with that one?

It's a classic 3 stooges line.

Moe (to Curly or was it Larry?): "How long you had a weak back?"

Curly: "Oh, I don't know, about a week back."

Apperantly he has had this problem since college. Why on earth you would draft a NT with a chronic back problem is beyond me, esp. when Cody was available. Terrible pick. He's never going to be a factor for the Bills. You can't have a bum back and play NT in the NFL. That position requies continual use of your back. It really stinks for him to have that problem. He needs to perhaps take an entire year off, and work with a strength coach to get his back stronger/healed.

Kyle's a stud and a real pro.

I say play Williams, and then he has the bye week to rest. If the injury is really bad, put Dareus at NT and Carrington and Edwards as the DE's, I'd even try Batten there. Kid is explosive, smart, and can hit.