Pollock Article about the defense

cvanvol

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/editorial/article_18504a0e-f413-11e0-9e29-001cc4c03286.html

I had to write back to this because I thought the article was idiotic but I can generally see the direction he was coming from. I also didnt even mention that Byrd, Wilson, and Barnett are in the top ten in the league in tackles. So having a MLB in the top ten is probably where you want ur D to be.

Sir,

I recently read your article criticizing the Buffalo Bills defense. You stated “And that brings to mind one of football’s oldest clichés: “You’re in big trouble defensively when your safeties are making the tackles.”” I was wondering where this cliché came from, why is it quoted? I have been a football fan for a number of years and have never heard this be said. Also you don’t make mention that of the three members of the defensive backfield (Wilson, Byrd, and Scott) they also lead the team in tackles for loss. While I understood the background for your article because the defense is giving up a lot of yards I don’t think it has anything to do with the safeties making tackles and more on the trend in this year’s NFL to gain a lot of yards. I look forward to reading your response and discovering the origins of “one of footballs oldest clichés”.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/editorial/article_18504a0e-f413-11e0-9e29-001cc4c03286.html

I had to write back to this because I thought the article was idiotic but I can generally see the direction he was coming from. I also didnt even mention that Byrd, Wilson, and Barnett are in the top ten in the league in tackles. So having a MLB in the top ten is probably where you want ur D to be.

Sir,

I recently read your article criticizing the Buffalo Bills defense. You stated “And that brings to mind one of football’s oldest clichés: “You’re in big trouble defensively when your safeties are making the tackles.”” I was wondering where this cliché came from, why is it quoted? I have been a football fan for a number of years and have never heard this be said. Also you don’t make mention that of the three members of the defensive backfield (Wilson, Byrd, and Scott) they also lead the team in tackles for loss. While I understood the background for your article because the defense is giving up a lot of yards I don’t think it has anything to do with the safeties making tackles and more on the trend in this year’s NFL to gain a lot of yards. I look forward to reading your response and discovering the origins of “one of footballs oldest clichés”.

I've heard it for years - it's hardly new. If a safety is the leading tackler, it's a pretty sure sign that your run D completely sucks. That's a highly accurate description of the Bills run D.

I've heard it for years - it's hardly new. If a safety is the leading tackler, it's a pretty sure sign that your run D completely sucks. That's a highly accurate description of the Bills run D.

I have to disagree

where? I've never heard that cliche before. I heard ESPN make mention of the fact that our safeties making so many tackles last year was attributed to our horrible run D, but as was pointed out before, the nature of where on the field the tackles are made are more important than the number of tackles. It also plays into what scheme the D is running.

Just saying that "because your safeties are the leading tacklers on your team means your D is not good" is not valid!

The cliche basically means that the defense is not making tackles behind/at/near to the line of scrimmage and that they are being made in the defensive backfield. In other words, the other team is gaining too many yards.

Which is an accurate assessment of our defense right now

The cliche basically means that the defense is not making tackles behind/at/near to the line of scrimmage and that they are being made in the defensive backfield. In other words, the other team is gaining too many yards.

Its a statement that was entirely true of last years team and somewhat of this years. However it is not a football cliche. He pretty much just made it up.

False.

Between Byrd and Wilson, there were a TON of tackles around the LOS on Sunday. In fact, watching the game, I even thought to myself, wow, our DB's are getting a ton of tackles up close to the LOS, I can't wait to hear how this is spun into ye olde "if you safeties are tackling your defense sucks" line.

Flash forward to today.

The leading tackler in the league has 65 tackles only 2 for losses 1 ff

We have two safeties with 2 tackles for losses each...and 1 forced fumble each...its called running to the ball.... we only have defended the run poorly one game this season and what was against cincy

Sir,

I suspect you are in bigger trouble if your safeties AREN'T making tackles, but that's just me.

Its a statement that was entirely true of last years team and somewhat of this years. However it is not a football cliche. He pretty much just made it up.

he did not. it's been a well-worn statement that's been used for many years.

you can disagree with the cliche' but just because you haven't heard it, doesn't make it foreign or "made up."

gees. why is this so difficult.

jw

he did not. it's been a well-worn statement that's been used for many years.

you can disagree with the cliche' but just because you haven't heard it, doesn't make it foreign or "made up."

gees. why is this so difficult.

jw

Can you find me any other article that has ever made reference to it? I havent heard it and will accept it if others have but I thought by his quotes he pulled it for somewhere or a coach had said it in the past and I find nothing when searching for it.

I found this on an ohio state message board: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=8063801&p=2&sto=MS_107513898

Posted: 10/8/2011 11:39 PM

Re: Where was the defense in the second half?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you see a LB make a tackle that entire game? Were have all the LB'ers gone?

When your safeties are making tackles, it's going to be a long night.

it is a very old saying around football. i fyou rsafeties are leading the team in tackling it usually isn't a good sign.

Not saying it means that buffalo's d is bad or that the safeties aren't making those tackles near the LOS or in the O backfield.

Think about it, safeties are the deepest guys usually on the field ie why they are called safeties...last guy you have to beat to score.

I am totally not argueing whether the Bills safeties are making touchdown saving tackles, just pointing out that it is a very old saying. Ask any coach or player the question, "what does it say about a defense if the safety is leading the team in tackles?" and see what they respond with.

I found this on an ohio state message board: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=8063801&p=2&sto=MS_107513898

Posted: 10/8/2011 11:39 PM

Re: Where was the defense in the second half?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you see a LB make a tackle that entire game? Were have all the LB'ers gone?

When your safeties are making tackles, it's going to be a long night.

Mark Richt (horrible coach) also said this "Then when it does come and there’s a lead blocker on them, that they do have to fit properly and try to get things to bounce outside. That’s what you hope to do with a team like this. If they start splitting you vertically, you are in trouble. Your safeties are trying to make tackles and it’s going to be a long day"

I guess i can come to grips with the fact that it has been said in some fashion. One of the oldest cliches i think not.

I've heard it repeatedly and said it myself for decades. It's blatantly obvious. Not only are they making tackles deep into the defensive backfield but they are giving up receptions and making tackles on WR and TE too deep as well. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. But as a rule, you don't want your safeties making big portions let alone the majority of your tackles, and you surely don't want three members of your DB being your three top tacklers. You always want your LBs and DL making the most tackles on your team. It's inarguable.