Von Miller benched during Broncos loss

papazoid

In other words, it's a rumor.

Like several other posters in this thread I had the distinct impression that the Bills draft board had Cam Newton at the top.

My impression is based on a Buddy Nix interview in the aftermath of the draft that based on the question/answer, it could be logically drawn that Cam Newton was atop the Bills draft board.

Not sure how I would characterize it but I would say that the belief that Newton was graded as the top player by the Bills is more than just a rumor.

Nix basically admitted it without actually saying it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like several other posters in this thread I had the distinct impression that the Bills draft board had Cam Newton at the top.

My impression is based on a Buddy Nix interview in the aftermath of the draft that based on the question/answer, it could be logically drawn that Cam Newton was atop the Bills draft board.

Not sure how I would characterize it but I would say that the belief that Newton was graded as the top player by the Bills is more than just a rumor.

Nix basically admitted it without actually saying it.

Nix is asleep at the wheel. Cam Newton is a run first QB that can't throw, he'll never make it the NFL.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Gaily talked about Fitz not too long ago to the press and said that they have always believed in him and that they believed so much in him that they felt it would be a waste to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. He came right out and said they were not going to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, and even if Newton was at 3 they would not have taken him..

Got a link? I've certainly never seen any such thing. ESPN's Fitzstuff before the Bengals game included interviews where Fitzhumble admitted that Gailey told him if THE guy was there at 3 we would take him. I'm obviously paraphrasing, but I haven't seen anything remotely like what you're saying.

I'm very Fitzhappy that Fitzgibbons is the FitsQB of this Fitzteam, but if FitzNewton had been there you'd be Fitzwatching him Fitzwork himself into the Fitzlineup.

What I remember is that they were saying that if THE GUY was there at #3 they would take him. What I always felt was that they were leaving unsaid that they thought that there was no THE GUY available that year. We'll never know for sure.

foreplayer's point is that Gailey told Fitzmanup that they wouldn't Fitzpick a FitzQB in the first Fitzthree Fitzrounds of the Fitzdraft.

I've never seen anything remotely like this said elsewhere.

Who cares what he does or is doing. I feel we have the best pick in the draft with Marcell. The guy is and will be a beast to come for many years and we have him now. Next year when we draft a few more LB's we will be a wrecking crew. I'm so happy who we picked and can care less about the others. The other thread about the fins picking Luck can all be wrapped up witha great Chan the Man saying. "Who cares what the other teams are doing becauses we are not keeping up with the Jones's".

I'm releaved that von Miller is not absolutley tearning up the league, because it makes our taking Darius a better pick. Nix obviously (from his fist pump when Denver took vMiller) wanted Dairus and a lot of people did too. He is not an every down impact player like a DT and was a bit on the light side.

Well before being benched this past week, Miller was among the league leaders with 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.

Also, the reports out of Denver are that Miller is one of the few Broncos who are playing well against the run.

Based on that, he was tearing it up. But I'm real pleased with the player we took.

With just over 11 minutes left in the first quarter, Miller was lined up on the defensive left, standing up. At the snap, he charged upfield for what was clearly a pass play. But the Chargers, knowing Miller would come up the field hard, didn't keep running back Mike Tolbert in to block.

Instead, Tolbert sneaked out of the backfield just inside of Miller. Miller clearly saw Tolbert run by him, and he turned to chase the running back. But by then it was too late.

Philip Rivers hit Tolbert for a 17-yard gain that also featured three missed tackles.

Later in the quarter, Miller was on the defensive right, standing up just outside the right shoulder of defensive end Jason Hunter. It was a first-and-10 play, a more likely run down and the Broncos were in a run-defense look.

At the snap Miller charged upfield and tight end Randy McMichael simply kept pushing Miller, riding Miller out of the play. At one point Miller is deeper in the backfield than quarterback Philip Rivers, who handed the ball to Ryan Mathews.

Mathews then ran into the big gap left behind for a 36-yard gain.

Read more: Why was LB Von Miller benched in Broncos' loss to Chargers? - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19081618#ixzz1aYjpICsB

Edited by papazoid

How do you bench a guy that is averaging a sack a game with multiple pressures? Just one more reason why Denver is a woeful team.

This goes back to the main points of criticism against Miller...He is one dimensional. I don't think anyone ever doubted he was a decent pass rusher, but the other aspects of his game have always been weak going back to college. He doesn't cover well, and can't fight off blocks in the run game.

Until he can do that, he will struggle as a "full time" player.

So far though it doesn't look like there were any obvious busts early in the draft, the rookies have looked good this year. Dareus has been exactly what we have needed him to be at this point. The stats wont show it, but he has been a big part of all those INT's, and our much better run D.

Now we just need a healthy secondary...And for Merriman to do....ANYTHING?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm not knocking you, but I really don't understand what people saw or see in Gabbert. Other than being tall what exactly about his college resume screams "top 5 pick"

It's because he wasn't on the Bills roster. We have to keep drafting a QB in the first round every year until we find "The Savior". This team will never win until we get a franchise QB. Lol

Edited by PDaDdy

This goes back to the main points of criticism against Miller...He is one dimensional. I don't think anyone ever doubted he was a decent pass rusher, but the other aspects of his game have always been weak going back to college. He doesn't cover well, and can't fight off blocks in the run game.

Until he can do that, he will struggle as a "full time" player.

So far though it doesn't look like there were any obvious busts early in the draft, the rookies have looked good this year. Dareus has been exactly what we have needed him to be at this point. The stats wont show it, but he has been a big part of all those INT's, and our much better run D.

Now we just need a healthy secondary...And for Merriman to do....ANYTHING?

Von Miller college scouting report verbatim:

Smooth hips in coverage

Can turn and run with running backs/tight ends

This dude is a monster and is playing very well for a rookie. People, please don't give me another example of how a pass rusher gets pushed upfield and they run at his vacant gap, it happens almost EVERY time to speed rushers. Just ask Demarcus Ware, Aaron Schobel, even Bruce Smith.

Ya I don't have an article either but most people know CAm was #1 overall on our draft board. And as it turns out, for good reason.

Vic Carucci said the same thing on a pre-draft radio program I listened to. He also said that the Bills would like to have taken Ponder with their second round pick, but that Ponder was very unlikely to be there for them in the second.

After the Maybin fiasco, I think a lot of people around here were scared to death that the Bills would take Miller & he'd end up another Maybin. That big sigh of relief you heard on draft day was when Denver took Miller instead of Darius the day of the draft.