Huge Whitner fan finally sees the light

NoName

If you look over my post history, you will always see that I"ve been a big Donte Whitner supporter. Well, after watching the Bills this season and especially the last game. I have to admit (gulp) that the vast majority of you were right about Whitner. The game that Wilson played yesterday is the type of game I think we all invisioned that Donte would play when he was drafter 8th overall. Donte never delivered anything close to the game George Wilson gave you. The scary part is the George Wilson has only been a starter for about 6 or 7 games in his career. I really cannot believe how much better he is than Whitner and at this rate, Wilson will be one of the top 3 SS in the league. I still give Donte the nod in run defense other than that Wilson is a far better player. Heck, even Bryan Scott might be a better player than Whitner.

And if memory serves me correct, wasn't he a receiver here like 5 years ago that never got on the field?

Edited by NoName

Not going to defend Whitner AT ALL, but it's not a fair 1:1 comparison.

Revamped and improved DL, and ALL new LBs in front of the Safeties. Guys that can actually do their jobs, so our SS doesnt have to stop the run on every play.

Great job by Wilson though. Go Bills!!

I have been saying this for some time now......George Wilson OUTPLAYED Dante Whitner in a Whitner contract year....there were some that wouldn't beleive me when I said that.....

Whats that....George doesn't bring the big hits like Dante does?

Whats that....George is a career backup and will never be any more then that?

Guys that deliver "oooooh" hits are great like Troy Palamalu....but he can also cover guys and disrupt plays....George Wilson instead of delivering the vicious hit will actually get the turnover and flip field position......and is a much better cover guy.

Not going to defend Whitner AT ALL, but it's not a fair 1:1 comparison.

Revamped and improved DL, and ALL new LBs in front of the Safeties. Guys that can actually do their jobs, so our SS doesnt have to stop the run on every play.

Great job by Wilson though. Go Bills!!

Good point. And I did think about the better personnel. But Dareus and Barnett and Merriman are the only new parts. And more than that. Can you really see Whitner making those plays even if he were here this year? Those picks? pass breakups? Pass defense iq? I really don't think so. And this is coming from someone who was a big Whitner fan.

Sometimes it it just a change of scenery. The Bills ARE 4-1 without Donte. It is a huge improvement over last year.

You also have to acknowledge that he has improved the Niners to the point where they are also 4-1. This worked for both parties.

With our heavy outside linebackers were are basically playing close to a 5 man defensive line- 3 guys in the middle and two hybrid LB/DE's.

That clogs a lot of holes, soaks up blockers and (sorta) seals the edge. A result is that the interior linebackers an safeties usually don't have a hat on them and are freer to come up and make the actual tackle. Some poor defenses have high tackle numbers from the safeties because they are the last defender. I think with our defense it is by design.

I have been saying this for some time now......George Wilson OUTPLAYED Dante Whitner in a Whitner contract year....there were some that wouldn't beleive me when I said that.....

Yea, this isnt the result of better play elsewhere. Wilson is just better than Whitner. Wilson outplayed Whitner going back a couple of seasons now. What about GWs play v Gronkowski? He allowed one TD but at least he had perfect coverage on that monster. He had a pick on another would be TD too. Whitner wouldnt have been anywhere near Grons on those two.

The funny thing is that Whitner is now also playing for a come-out-of-nowhere 4-1 team. Good for him -- for all of his tweeting nonsense, li'l Donte is a team-first guy who loves the fans and wants to win. It's not his fault he was drafted at #8.

That said -- I'm thrilled at how the Senator is playing in the Bills' backfield.

Ill eat crow a little bit here... I didn't think Wilson would still be starting at this point and Searcy would be playing a much role. Wilson is playing out of his mind... whatever hes eating for breakfast... I want some

http://tdotsports1.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/250px-flutieflakes1.jpg

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

Donte wasn't terrible, his mouth and his draft status just got him too much attention. He really was an athletic player that just couldn't get the mental side of the game down to be an impact player

i was at the game yesterday. love george wilson. and agree he's playing much better than donte ever did. donte was always looking for the hit (and they were never that great) and not the ball. look what happens when we start getting turnovers. we start winning games. we're number one in the league give away/take away. donte never had the nose for the ball that george has.

but again, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. we still have a lot of season left. if i remember correctly it was donte who guaranteed the playoffs after starting 4-0 with captain checkdown. at least george has enough sense not to make that kind of stupid statement. these bills are smarter than that.

You also have to acknowledge that he has improved the Niners to the point where they are also 4-1. This worked for both parties.

That's dead wrong. Whitner has been battling a hip injury and has only played limited snaps in the past 3 games. And in week 2 he bit on a play fake in overtime which led to him getting burned by a rookie Dallas receiver that cost them the game. If you are looking for the reason for the 49ers resurgence, try the new head coach.

Donte gets smoked

Edited by QCity

That's dead wrong. Whitner has been battling a hip injury and has only played limited snaps in the past 3 games. And in week 2 he bit on a play fake in overtime which led to him getting burned by a rookie Dallas receiver that cost them the game. If you are looking for the reason for the 49ers resurgence, try the new head coach.

Donte gets smoked

So when they lose it is Donte's fault and when they win he has nothing to do with it? I thought that stuff only got used on QB's.

Harbaugh does deserve credit too. He is the one who signed Whitner right?

People need to get over Whitner. He is gone and his new team is producing accordingly. We are also doing well. As I said some moves are good for both parties.

So when they lose it is Donte's fault

Yes, watch the video I linked.

and when they win he has nothing to do with it?

Yes, because he hasn't even been the starter the past 3 weeks.

I suppose you think Lee Evans is the reason the ravens are 3-1 :rolleyes:

Yes, watch the video I linked.

Yes, because he hasn't even been the starter the past 3 weeks.

I suppose you think Lee Evans is the reason the ravens are 3-1 :rolleyes:

Man some people just can't enjoy 4-1.

Look, separations are never a pretty thing. Sometimes when parents get divorced the kids stay angry for a long time even though it is better for the parents as individuals and the kids. Yes it is sad, but it is also ok to recognize when things are ok and move on. You don't have to be mad at Donte or the Bills and choose sides just like kids don't have to be mad at mom or dad.

I used to get so mad when Whitner would "tackle" somebody by bumping him with his shoulder rather than wrap him up or take out his legs (Winfield was excellent at taking out the legs). I will be curious to see if Wilson continues to tackle well or will he start doing that bump with the shoulder thing. I hope he doesn't start doing that.

Man some people just can't enjoy 4-1.

Look, separations are never a pretty thing. Sometimes when parents get divorced the kids stay angry for a long time even though it is better for the parents as individuals and the kids. Yes it is sad, but it is also ok to recognize when things are ok and move on. You don't have to be mad at Donte or the Bills and choose sides just like kids don't have to be mad at mom or dad.

Are you drunk? I think Donte is terrible and I am thrilled he is gone. Couldn't be happier the Bills are 4-1.

You're the one who said he "improved the Niners to the point where they are also 4-1." That quote is almost sig-worthy.