Brad Smith

Interesting article about how little Brad Smith is being utilized, same with CJ Spiller at 17 offensive touches in 4 games.

"The Bills tried to get Smith more involved as a wideout last week to modest results. He has converted four first downs in seven runs this year, but the team hasn't used him much in the Wildcat."

http://profootballta...yet-in-buffalo/

So the Buffalo Bills (3-0) lose a game to the Cincinnati Bengals (1-2) while only scoring 13 points on offense. A TD run by Fred Jackson and 2 FG's by Lindell

Fitzscreamy 20-34 for 199 yards 0 TD's 0 Ints & Fred Jackson 17 attempts for 66 yards, 1 TD and 21 yards the longest run. which means Jackson had 16 rushes for only 2.8 YPC avg.

Some glaring stats from that game-4 of 14 3rd down conversions- 273 total yards to 458 yards. against a rookie QB who had 287 yards passing. Bills 5.4 yards per pass. Bills avg per rush 4.0-Bengals 5.3. The Bills won the turnover differential but lost in time of possion.

The Bengals did a pretty good job of shutting down both Fitz and Freddy, and it kinda made me wonder why the Bills didn't try something other then Fitz in the shotgun, spread formation with an empty backfield for most of the game. Fitz was only sacked once in this game but it sure looked like he wasn't setting up properly, and he was hurrying his passes. He was pretty wild on some of his throws in the first half. So my question is...why not let Brad Smith have more touches when the starting players aren't doing so well? Seriously, this game looked like Turk Schonert was back calling the plays and was determined to keep throwing the ball even when the QB wasn't playing very effectively...eerily similar to two years ago with the bads at QB.

Gailey came out with the game plan of throw- throw- throw -punt against a good defense. The man is clearly very creative in the passing game, but what to do when the passing game isn't working every well...just keep throwing it? Then with 2 min to go after getting an INT from the rookie QB the Bills finally decide to run Fred Jackson and the Bills get a score out of it.

17-3 at the half, clearly the 2 turnovers by the Bengals the difference in the game

The Bengals open the 2nd half by running the ball to take pressure off the QB by running the ball more. The Bills followed suite by also running the ball more, the difference here was the Bengals were very sure tacklers and only allowed a FG in the 4th QTR on that long Bills drive.

4 min to go in the game and the score tied 20-20.... Its times like this that make me want the Bills have an offense that can pound the ball and run the clock, rather then throw throw throw. 3rd and short does the Bills short yardage team put any fear into opposing defenses,no! Mostly because the Bills utilize the same offensive players most of the game to minimize substitutions.

I look back at this game and think that there will be other games where the QB is not playing up to his past ability, and the RB is not playing up to his past ability. Whether its they have the flu, or are slightly injured, or the opposing defense is simply keying on them and shutting them down.. Did Chan Gailey keep playing Fitz and keep calling shotgun passing plays in hopes that he regains his rhythm or accuracy...I dunno. All I do know is Its good to have a back up plan. I know its hindsight now to talk about this, but other teams have more then one main RB, they usually now have 2-3 and go with the RB with the hot hand. More of a balanced offensive game plan by running the ball more often and utilizing more then just one RB.

I watched that Raiders- Patriots game and the Patriots went to more of a running attack to help take pressure off QB Tom Brady (like he needs it) and it worked as the Patriots beat Oakland 31-19

Anyway, Jackson got 17 carries, 5 catches =22 touches. Spiller 3 carries, 1 catch.= 4 touches, Smith 2 catches, no carries 2 touches

Bills Play by play...punt-punt-punt -FG- defensive TD- FJ TD---2nd half - Punt- 9 min drive for a FG- Punt

All this stuff might have already been hashed over, sorry if I missed it . I know its only one loss, but it could turn into more losses if the Bills don't find a way to run the ball more when the QB isn't playing so great. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents before Sunday

Edited by Fear the Beard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post. I want to see more people respond to his. I think Nix and Gailey are the best GM and coach combination that the Bills have had in over a decade, but I question some of their decisions. The vanilla defense and the long passes on third down are two things that many people have been writing about on this board since last week. The lack of touches for Smith and Spiller when the game plan wasn't working is another question people have been asking. Based on very little data, it seems as though Roosevelt has better hands than Smith. He's been active for two games and I think the only time he got the ball was on that pass deflection that came his way. Fred has had a great season so far, they could have used him more to grind out the yardage and use up the clock, but they went to long passes instead. If anyone actually remembers the original "circle the wagons" comeback game, the reasons the Bills were able to come back is because the Oilers kept throwing the ball and the incomplete passes gave the Bills time to come back. History repeats itself.

I like Smith, but also thought and continue to believe that this was one of the dumbest signings by any team. He's a gadget, coming to a team that had too many holes to fill. I would have used the money elsewhere.

Edited by Lv-Bills

I like Chan but he has totally underutilized Brad Smith so far and when he has been on the field mis-utilized being used as a WR.

There were some key 2nd and 3rd and shorts last week and the week before where Smith should have been put in the game in the wild-cat. He has only picked up the first down 100% of the time. When our passing game is struggling I would like to see some different formations with Spiller and Smith utilized together.

IMO utilizing Smith as a WR is the WORST move you can possibly do. I am not disappointed with how Smith has played at all, just disappointed with Gailey in how much and how he has used him in situational moments.

This was a great signing and if used properly, like he was in NY is a game changer. Who do you think they miss the most off that roster from last year?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm not sure Smith is really deserving of more touches.

1) It's obvious they tried to get him the ball early as a WR. He dropped a great throw, and then ran a horrible route/gave up on another throw.

2) He doesn't take any risks as a kick returner; many of the elite returners have been bringing kicks out of the endzone that are 5-8 yards deep. Smith doesn't; he also misplayed one kick that was a line drive and could have been a great return.

3) He's had two throwing opportunities--on one he threw a pick, on the other he was too tentative to pull the trigger (or maybe he thought it was too well-covered).

4) He's converted 3rd and shorts, which has been great. But he hasn't broken any big runs.

Bottom line: Maybe the touches have been few, but when he's had chances, he hasn't capitalized.

Should have used him on that 3rd and 1 that was incorrectly ruled an incomplete pass to Stevie. I don't know why he didn't.

As for being a WR and QB, he just didn't have enough time with the team before the season began to get comfortable in those roles. I'm hoping that later-on he will, and at least, by next season.

I like Smith, but also thought and continue to believe that this was one of the dumbest signings by any team. He's a gadget, coming to a team that had too many holes to fill. I would have used the money elsewhere.

Brad Smith brings alot to the table and we have yet to see his full potential. We've only played 4 games.

I like Chan but he has totally underutilized Brad Smith so far and when he has been on the field mis-utilized being used as a WR.

There were some key 2nd and 3rd and shorts last week and the week before where Smith should have been put in the game in the wild-cat. He has only picked up the first down 100% of the time. When our passing game is struggling I would like to see some different formations with Spiller and Smith utilized together.

IMO utilizing Smith as a WR is the WORST move you can possibly do. I am not disappointed with how Smith has played at all, just disappointed with Gailey in how much and how he has used him in situational moments.

This was a great signing and if used properly, like he was in NY is a game changer. Who do you think they miss the most off that roster from last year?

I agree

At WR? Jeez, why not at RB rather then receiver. Use Spiller more as a receiver and let him take Parrish's spot in the slot. You would think that with a 4 million dollar player they would at least try and get their moneys worth and get him the ball more often

Anyway, seems like the Bills left an awful lot of offense on the field and just kept trying to throw throw throw

I'm a believer in Gailey; However, he has bouts of AndyReidiosis where a mix of coaching hubris and ego and the "I've forgotten more about this game more than the coach on the other side knows" sneaks in to the game plan and you don't make the adjustments you think you should because you feel your plan is damn fine as it is.

I think it happened last week against Cincy. I think it explains why we passed a helluva lot to the wide receivers, and we got away from pounding the ball with Jackson, got away from throwing to Chandler and not using Smith like we had used him in preseason.

Of anybody on the team, I'm hoping that loss refocused our head coach into doing what got us those three victories. We didn't win by trying to air it out all day along the sidelines.

I'll be upset tomorrow if we aren't hammering it up the middle and have Chandler exposing that weak Eagles linebacking corps and instead trying to prove a point by taking on Philly's cornerbacks.

• 1 month later...

I have to admit, I was all for this signing after watching him the last few years with the Jets on KR and coming in and running their offense a half dozen times a game. I have also defended him a lot on this message board.

However, we all know he has struggled getting on the field and returning kick offs. I lay blame on Gailey not using him in short yardage situations but given his chances like Spiller hasn't made any meaningful impact.

However, a red flag was raised today. He looked REALLY SLOW returning kicks today. It was just very concerning to me. He looks like a totally different player than what I watched in NY. I don't get it? Right now he is certainly not worth what they are paying him and doesn't even look close to the player that was playing for the Jets.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I have to admit, I was all for this signing after watching him the last few years with the Jets on KR and coming in and running their offense a half dozen times a game.

However we all know he has struggled getting on the field and returning kick offs. I lay blame on Gailey not using him in short yardage situations but given his chances like Spiller hasn't made any meaningful impact.

However a red flag was raised today. He looked REALLY SLOW returning kicks today. It was just very concerning to me. He looks like a totally different player than what I watched in NY. I don't get it? Right now he is certainly not worth what they are paying him.

The guy never runs hard, you are right. trade him back to Jets for a 4th or 5th rounder.

I have to admit, I was all for this signing after watching him the last few years with the Jets on KR and coming in and running their offense a half dozen times a game. I have also defended him a lot on this message board.

However, we all know he has struggled getting on the field and returning kick offs. I lay blame on Gailey not using him in short yardage situations but given his chances like Spiller hasn't made any meaningful impact.

However, a red flag was raised today. He looked REALLY SLOW returning kicks today. It was just very concerning to me. He looks like a totally different player than what I watched in NY. I don't get it? Right now he is certainly not worth what they are paying him and doesn't even look close to the player that was playing for the Jets.

The tentative running works for 3rd and 1, when you need 1 yard. That's about it.

I've been actively calling for him to be cut since last week when he tried his trick on the kickoff, trying to step out of bounds to draw the penalty. Not only did he fail at that (a very simple task) he also lost us a challenge and a timeout by lobbying Gailey to throw the challenge flag. FJ ran the wildcat better than Smith last year...and actually has completed a TD pass out of the formation.

Smith should simply be cut as an example.

I've been actively calling for him to be cut since last week when he tried his trick on the kickoff, trying to step out of bounds to draw the penalty. Not only did he fail at that (a very simple task) he also lost us a challenge and a timeout by lobbying Gailey to throw the challenge flag. FJ ran the wildcat better than Smith last year...and actually has completed a TD pass out of the formation.

Smith should simply be cut as an example.

The guy is clearly playing like he doesn't want to be here. We'd probably be doing him a favor by cutting him. Amazing to me the lack of character/pride in some guys. He gets paid $3-4m per year to play football. Instead of moping on the field, do what the coach tells you to do and earn your paycheck.