Henne out for the year

dib

What is sad is that a hurt Sage Rosenfelds is better than Edwards. Trent is sitting on his couch hoping a 3rd stringer on a bad team gets hurt so he can collect the NFL minimum for a few weeks. Sad.

It was the offensive lines fault....or that we only had one reciever...or no tight end....or no running game...a bad defense.....a terrible head coach....a bad offensive coordinator....poor weather.....no time to be QB coach AND offensive coordinator......schedule was brutal...that concussion changed him.....our left tackle smells.....they don't let him air it out....the fans were always on him....didn't play well in the cold......no veteran QB to teach him.....

Is David Garrard so bad that he can't find a team? Not even as a backup? I hear Miami might sign him, but I can't believe that the Colts didn't try to get him, preferring a very old Kerry Collins.

Maybe it's an "Andrew Luck Sweepstakes" thing. I don't usually buy into things like that, but Kerry Collins? Trent Edwards? Tavaris Jackson?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

there wasnt anything wrong with losman except poor coaching decisions and O.C play calling. the kid just needed time

:wallbash:

If JP's failings were the fault of the Bills coaching staffs, why wasn't he picked up and developed by somebody else?

Is David Garrard so bad that he can't find a team? Not even as a backup? I hear Miami might sign him, but I can't believe that the Colts didn't try to get him, preferring a very old Kerry Collins.

I saw somewhere Polian said that the Colts are close to the cap which makes signing any QB difficult. And while players like Collins and Edwards are willing to play for at or near the league minimum, Garrard wants to get paid

:wallbash:

If JP's failings were the fault of the Bills coaching staffs, why wasn't he picked up and developed by somebody else?

I saw somewhere Polian said that the Colts are close to the cap which makes signing any QB difficult. And while players like Collins and Edwards are willing to play for at or near the league minimum, Garrard wants to get paid

I would think that putting Manning on IR would help free up some cap space to get in someone like Garrard. it won't matter if Manning would be able to return at the end of the season, cause with the way they are going, Manning might be able to return in mid december to lead the Colts to their first win.

I think Garrards problem isn't that he wants to be paid, he just wants to go to a better situation then what he had in jacksonville (doesn't want to go to another bad team like Miami) and wants to go somewhere that he is the starter (he might be the starter for most of the season in Indy, but he's a backup once Manning is healthy. Also I heard he wants to make sure that whatever team he goes to, his contract/salary is guaranteed for the entire season (as if he was on their roster to start the year)

there wasnt anything wrong with losman except poor coaching decisions and O.C play calling. the kid just needed time

So why is Losman no longer in the league? He has physical talent to be sure. But poor pocket presence and football intelligence did him in. His stint under Fassel--who supposedly is a good offensive mentor--could not even help him get back in the league in any permanent capacity.

Here's why I don't think the Colts select Luck:

-With this new rookie wage scale, Qb's don't have as much time to sit behind another QB and mature(I believe it's 3 year deals, with a possible 4th depending on the teams decision). No way does does Luck go to a team where he sits for 3 years(Peytons new contract would kind of force that) and then have to be resigned a year later. At most he would sit for a year. Teams have to know what they got from a player a lot sooner, I think. He will go to a team that either he plays right away or in a years time. Like i said, need to know what you got, there are no gurantees. If the colts are picking #1 that's a heck of a lot of money to just ride the pine for 3 years or so. Even if they determine he is their future guy, that's a lot of money that's gonna have to be tied up in 2 guys, one who isn't even gonna play. Then they will have to resign Luck to a bigger contract, crippling the team.

Thought?

I'm certainly not a college football junkie, but it just seems that it's pretty much a crapshoot either way. I'm going to bring up the whole Leaf/Manning debate. Leaf was considered to be "that guy" too and look how he turned out.

It's true that any player who is considered to be a top 5 pick in the draft is a crapshoot. There are no guarantees that a player will make it in the NFL. Your description of Leaf is accurate, yet at the same time Manning's hype was justified.

I live not that far from Palo Alto and we get to see Stanford games all the time, and I am always skeptical about QB's being great in college and the hype they get for the pros. I thought that Sam Bradford was overrated. However, in Andrew Luck's case, I believe the hype. Stanford is not a college that has a rich tradition in football, and if it weren't for Luck, Stanford would be nowhere near as good as they are now. This kid has the mechanics to be a star in the NFL.

Here's why I don't think the Colts select Luck:

-With this new rookie wage scale, Qb's don't have as much time to sit behind another QB and mature(I believe it's 3 year deals, with a possible 4th depending on the teams decision). No way does does Luck go to a team where he sits for 3 years(Peytons new contract would kind of force that) and then have to be resigned a year later. At most he would sit for a year. Teams have to know what they got from a player a lot sooner, I think. He will go to a team that either he plays right away or in a years time. Like i said, need to know what you got, there are no gurantees. If the colts are picking #1 that's a heck of a lot of money to just ride the pine for 3 years or so. Even if they determine he is their future guy, that's a lot of money that's gonna have to be tied up in 2 guys, one who isn't even gonna play. Then they will have to resign Luck to a bigger contract, crippling the team.

Thought?

Peyton Manning is 35, has had two recent neck surgeries, and the new contract he signed has out clauses related to the neck injury.

Cam Newton signed a 4 year $22M contract, $5.5M per season isn't that much to retain a future starting QB.

If they get Luck it's possible that they could dump Manning due to the neck and move on, but even if they let Manning play it out it's not like Luck would be making so much that they couldn't afford it. Hell, Tyler Thigpen is making $4M this season as a bad backup with almost no upside. They could then resign Luck or have the franchise tag to avoid losing him if that becomes a reality.

Edited by Carey Bender

I thought they gave up on Billie Jo Hobert way too quick also. And Todd Collins PROVED that given 13 years, a guy can get good enough to win a few games...

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Garrard clarified the situation and said when he got cut before season is first time they reached out to him. They said henne would be the starter and if that wasnt working out he'd get pulled and garrard could get his shot. Garrard basically said no way am I sitting behind that cracker lol

They came back after henne went down and garrard basically said no way am I boarding that sinking ship where mutiny could oust the cap'n at any time 2x lol

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7075859/david-garrard-bristles-dolphins-wants-chance

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack