At the seasons quarter mark....let's be honest...

Ha, so we'd have to assume that we end up 10-6, so this year we're only 2 games better than we really are, and last year we were actually a full 4 games better than our record stated? Or we end up 9-7 this year and our record is only 1 game better than we really are (this would probably be a pointless argument if we were talking 1 game, so I chose 10-6)? That's fair enough I suppose, though I don't know if we're only 2 games better than we really were last year this year :)

Edited by BringBackFlutie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, so we'd have to assume that we end up 10-6, so this year we're only 2 games better than we really are, and last year we were actually a full 4 games better than our record stated? Or we end up 9-7 this year and our record is only 1 game better than we really are (this would probably be a pointless argument if we were talking 1 game, so I chose 10-6)? That's fair enough I suppose, though I don't know if we're only 2 games better than we really were last year this year :)

I have no knowledge, just opinions. :)

I see a bunch of holes on this team, and holes scare me. :(

I have no knowledge, just opinions. :)

I see a bunch of holes on this team, and holes scare me. :(

every team in the afc has questions at huge places on their team.

baltimores wideouts/offense

new englands defense

the entire steelers team

the jets with sanchez

welcome to parity.

everyone is beatable.

We're lucky to be 3-1, we could easily be 1-3 with the way games have gone this year. For that fact alone, I see us as a .500 team, and our record will simply be determined by the way the ball bounces in close games. We could be last year's Chiefs, in that we come out with a record that's better than our team. :)

I agree, but then I think that way about a lot of teams. Look at the Steelers last year - Stevie's drop amongst other fortuitous bounces and they go all the way to the SB.

Sometimes you would rather be lucky than good, but I get everyone's point. I too would like to see more consistently good play from our offense and defense. The offensive scoring in fits and starts and the defense downright giving up tons of yardage each week has to stop before I believe this team has crossed over to respectability.

• 4 weeks later...

All of the sensationalism and Bill’s fever after the first three weeks was fun, but when you look at it, I believe more of it was fueled by how we got to a 3-0 start, (exciting come from behind wins against two teams), and not the fact we were 3-0. If you go back to the midpoint of last year, the Bills could have won how many games against good playoff teams – (see loses to KC, Baltimore, New England and Pittsburgh). So we start out this year winning 2 similar type games we had lost last year and all of the sudden the national spotlight is on Buffalo that we somehow figured it out. Well guess what, we just got a couple of bounces that we did not get in those loses and ended up with the “W’s”. In yesterday’s game – we did not get the bounces and lost.

I am not a “doomsayer” but really believe, come Devils Night (aka Oct 30th), this team will be sub .500 and exactly what we thought in August – headed in the right direction, but simply missing a few key ingredients to be something special over the long haul. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see the football God’s have more bounce in the Bills favor than not, but when you go into battle with talent that arguably would not start for many other NFL teams, you some up short time and again. Average or sub – McKelvin, Spiller, all receivers not named Stevie, Kelsey, Chambers, Merriman, they’ve gotten national recognition, but on the coattails of good fortune and not being special). The nice development on the offseason, the realization that Fitzpatrick belongs, Darius will be a great Pro, and the O-Line is much improved. Now don’t go crying out that I left Freddie off – if you were a Bills fan, you knew going in that he belongs n the NFL.

Understand, this is not a response to the Bills lose yesterday, in fact, it would read the same had they won – Yin and Yang are just evening out from last year…

Nice call on the Bills being under .500 by the end of october! :thumbsup:

Happy to eat crow everyone - taste's kind of like chicken. They are better than I thought they could be - when you look at the composition of the roster, it defies conventional wisdom...but we have it, the exception to the rule...and strangely enough in a city that somewhat defies conventional wisdom as well.

Oh, and I am flattered so many were ready with the "I told you so" ... reminder actually of mea culpa. Again, the crow is not bad, best on the grill or if you must, deep fried and shaken with a mixture of Franks Hot Sauce and Butter.

Happy to eat crow everyone - taste's kind of like chicken. They are better than I thought they could be - when you look at the composition of the roster, it defies conventional wisdom...but we have it, the exception to the rule...and strangely enough in a city that somewhat defies conventional wisdom as well.

Oh, and I am flattered so many were ready with the "I told you so" ... reminder actually of mea culpa. Again, the crow is not bad, best on the grill or if you must, deep fried and shaken with a mixture of Franks Hot Sauce and Butter.

I like my crow cold and with a cup of black coffee. And I'm happy for you to eat crow as well :D At least it isn't the positive-ites eating crow and all of us miserable :)

I disagree. The Bills got bigger and faster the last few years across the board. Receiver, LB, O line, D line and all of a sudden we can compete in games and win consistently.

Just because they are young and unknown, doesn't mean they "defy conventional wisdom" They are football players, plain and simple.

I disagree. The Bills got bigger and faster the last few years across the board. Receiver, LB, O line, D line and all of a sudden we can compete in games and win consistently.

Just because they are young and unknown, doesn't mean they "defy conventional wisdom" They are football players, plain and simple.

Really? The our WR are unknown quantities, only one drafted and at that, in the last round. The star RB is an undrafted guy...our starting OT, (when happy) are low round round unknown guys. The TE, a free agent pick up... They are bigger and better - but to say they were built by conventional NFL means is simply not the case...hell even Troy Aikmen was marveling at the composition of the roster....

Really? The our WR are unknown quantities, only one drafted and at that, in the last round. The star RB is an undrafted guy...our starting OT, (when happy) are low round round unknown guys. The TE, a free agent pick up... They are bigger and better - but to say they were built by conventional NFL means is simply not the case...hell even Troy Aikmen was marveling at the composition of the roster....

Fair enough. I was thinking more the style of player than where we got them

All of the sensationalism and Bill’s fever after the first three weeks was fun, but when you look at it, I believe more of it was fueled by how we got to a 3-0 start, (exciting come from behind wins against two teams), and not the fact we were 3-0. If you go back to the midpoint of last year, the Bills could have won how many games against good playoff teams – (see loses to KC, Baltimore, New England and Pittsburgh). So we start out this year winning 2 similar type games we had lost last year and all of the sudden the national spotlight is on Buffalo that we somehow figured it out. Well guess what, we just got a couple of bounces that we did not get in those loses and ended up with the “W’s”. In yesterday’s game – we did not get the bounces and lost.

I am not a “doomsayer” but really believe, come Devils Night (aka Oct 30th), this team will be sub .500 and exactly what we thought in August – headed in the right direction, but simply missing a few key ingredients to be something special over the long haul. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see the football God’s have more bounce in the Bills favor than not, but when you go into battle with talent that arguably would not start for many other NFL teams, you some up short time and again. Average or sub – McKelvin, Spiller, all receivers not named Stevie, Kelsey, Chambers, Merriman, they’ve gotten national recognition, but on the coattails of good fortune and not being special). The nice development on the offseason, the realization that Fitzpatrick belongs, Darius will be a great Pro, and the O-Line is much improved. Now don’t go crying out that I left Freddie off – if you were a Bills fan, you knew going in that he belongs n the NFL.

Understand, this is not a response to the Bills lose yesterday, in fact, it would read the same had they won – Yin and Yang are just evening out from last year…

Sub 500?

I've also been very pleasantly surprised by the Bills performance this year. I think the emergence of Fitz has been one of the biggest reasons behind the Bills success. The defense has also improved from horrible to competent. There is still room to grow, and we need some more talent, but there are heading in the right direction. Playoffs?? :thumbsup:

Perhaps - but the really great one's staffed with all pro talent have a way of playing a couple of extra games at the end of the year, where the average one's, (read last years KC, St Louis, Seattle, etc), will miss the playoffs as the reality gets back into focus. I am saying the Bills are more akin with those teams than belong with the Superbowl contenders....

not perhaps - you really can

"Faith" may be the appropriate descriptor as Bills fandom has somewhat a religious quality about it as opposed to that based in proven science if you will.

I know science. I know proof. Ain't nothing in any fandom has much to do with science or proof. :flirt:

Sports success requires ability and (the right kind of) hard work and good coaching, but there's always a squishy element - an element of faith, if you will - having to do with belief in oneself, belief in one's team, a "can do" feeling.

The thing that is the serious common denominator (and something bills fans have been begging for years)

This team is big and physical

I made the point of this leading up into the preseason and leading up into the regular season....gone are the days where players "tackled with numbers" and were undersized and by the time the 4th quarter rolled around they were fresh because they were in shape they were beat to crap by bigger physical teams.......

Led by their 1st round pick Marcel Darius who can play DE on this team but has the size of a legit nose tackle.....gentlemen off but a big nasty physical player on......DL is bigger....linebackers are bigger.....hell...even the corners are bigger.

This is matched by a OL that told their starting RT that if he wanted to play for this team he needs come come in 15 pounds heavier then the last.......and they drafted yet again in that mold in Chris Hairston who looks like an absolute beast.....Levitre was a bit undersized coming into the league but has been hitting the gym and it shows.....

and on and on......I cant wait to see how they do against the arrogant jets they are a offensive line of multiple high picks.....lets see how they fare against the new look bills.

Earlier today I pointed out that while teams are racking up yards against us.....it has NOT been in the ground game like last year. And our secondary guys are laying wood on the tackles....they just need to consistantly get more QB pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

To all the people jumping on this "I told you so" opportunity - F You and F the F-ing Bills. I ate crow a couple of weeks too soon...in the end the message is the same - This team is average...or was average and with the injuries - we blow. I guess conventional wisdom wins out - the composition of the roster just took a little longer to show it's self.... Puking crow out now. F this F-ing team...happy to be released from the shackles of suffering through the games again...Oh, and F this F-ing team - fire the Defensive coach, intermin the mostacheoed one to the job and let's chase another top 3 pick....