I hate all this pink gear

Scrappy

I didn't say it bothers me. I'm just wondering why that donation number is so low for an organization like the NFL doing this over 4 games. There's local cancer-patient-with-crap-insurance fundraisers that can raise $100,000 in a couple of days. Something as big as the NFL can only garner 10 times as much with 32 teams over 4 weeks?

Ralph's cheap? :rolleyes:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw that you can bid on game-worn pink items. So a lot of money comes in from that, perhaps.

Plus, increasing awareness is part of the goal; if you take away all the pink equipment, many people don't notice the cause.

It's a complete joke. My aunt just died from breast cancer and I'm completely against it. Grown men yelling and cursing while wearing pink simply does not work. Plus it's only one form of cancer. I propose everyone wear brown in November for colo-rectal cancer awareness. I went off on this subject like three times yesterday.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It's a complete joke. My aunt just died from breast cancer and I'm completely against it. Grown men yelling and cursing while wearing pink simply does not work. Plus it's only one form of cancer. I propose everyone wear brown in November for colo-rectal cancer awareness. I went off on this subject like three times yesterday.

I responded to a similar proposal 'Off the Wall' for prostate cancer awareness - latex gloves for all! :blush:

I say wear items for one week and then sell it off for charity. There are many others cancers that cause more deaths than breast that aren't being recognized. Four weeks wearing is excessive.

Edited by MotownBillsFan

I think they chose breast cancer over others because it has a relatively high success rate with early detection and treatment. Therefore awareness and money raised can make a big difference. This is pure speculation on my part, but...

I ran into a buzz saw at school with the "I heart boobies" bracelets. My mom survived breast cancer. I was pissed when I watched kids buy them and wear them for shock value. I know the money goes to a good cause, but these kids were not interested in carrying UNICEF boxes or raising funds for the CROP walk, etc.

I guess my point is, as long at it is not too tacky, I'm okay with it.

Edited by judman

The Pink everything is overkill. If everyone had a pink sticker logo on the helmet that would do just as much to raise awarness of this disease, which I think most people are already well aware of. Further, other cancers like Prostate, Panceras and Liver are just as dangerous, and in fact the last 2 are extremly dangerous. While rarer than Breast cancer, they are a near 100% death sentense. The problem is that no one is alive as a "survivor" to advocate for them. Perhaps the NFL should start doing awarness campiangs for things such as Panceras, liver and other "rarer" cancers that no one is aware of, instead of promoting an already well known cause so that the casual fan thinks, "wow, that's great, they are doing something for breast cancer like every other organization in the world." It would do wonders if the NFL would promote a cause such as Panceras, liver or another form of cancer that is less well known, less funded, and has a much lower survival rate. (I'm not saying that Breast cancer is not terrible, every cancer is, the point here is that everyplace on earth is going "pink" in October, and it would be nice for the NFL, if not during october (would be tacky to distract from breast cancer month), perhaps Nov or Dec do something for the rare/less known types of cancer).

It is a campaign out of control. You have a select interest group spreading its influence into the game, and it's a slippery slope and frankly I see the NFL pandering to women with this pink stuff year after year.

Where does it stop? Will teams be wearing dog-colored uniform accessories if the SPCA desires? Beagle-colored shoes? Gloves with the coat of a Labrador retriever? What if the armed forces want a special day? All uniforms wear various levels of camouflage from the branches of the armed services?

"The Bills will be in Navy BDUs while the Bengals, well, will be in their standard uniforms...."

What about lupus? Muscular Distrophy? Autism?

You can say that about any form of disease, really... I'm more angry at the fact that decades after discovering more and more about cancer, we seem to be handcuffed by it even today despite the billions of dollars being spent on finding a cure...

Grown men yelling and cursing while wearing pink simply does not work.

:unsure:

Did we all step in the way-back machine and end up back in the 50s? Your problem is the color isn't "manly" enough? You feel funny rooting for men who wear pink? Why? Does the color in some way sap them of their talent, strength and speed?

Or is it really something more to do with your own issues?

:unsure:

Did we all step in the way-back machine and end up back in the 50s? Your problem is the color isn't "manly" enough? You feel funny rooting for men who wear pink? Why? Does the color in some way sap them of their talent, strength and speed?

Or is it really something more to do with your own issues?

Why then do they make pink NFL gear for WOMEN and not for all fans? Hmmmm, let me think about it.... maybe it is the fact that pink is a color that WOMEN WEAR????

I don't need a wayback machine for that thought process.

Are you people out of your F-ing minds? It raises awareness and $$$ for a great cause.

Maybe next year everyone should wear lime green apparel to REALLY make everything look hideous. There is raising awareness, and then there is going to an extreme with the visuals. Purple is much easier on the eyes than bright radioactive pink.

Edited by BmoreBills

Why then do they make pink NFL gear for WOMEN and not for all fans? Hmmmm, let me think about it.... maybe it is the fact that pink is a color that WOMEN WEAR????

I don't need a wayback machine for that thought process.

Apparently you do since you missed the point. The point isn't whether or not pink is a woman's color. The point is whether or not wearing pink has any effect whatsoever on the players' ability to perform on the field.

It doesn't.

The only people if effects, other than the millions of people the cause helps year in and year out, are the people who believe rooting for men in pink somehow calls into question their own masculinity.

Edited by tgreg99

I seriously think the pink interfered with the call on that Stevie Johnson crucial call near the end of the game. At first glance of the replay, something pink looked like it touched the ground and messed with my eyes. I believe it was the defenders towel? From far away in live action I can see the ref saying no catch based on seeing that pink item. But in the replay I don't understand why it was still called incomplete. Just doesn't make sense. Get rid of the pink.