Moving to Canada

dailar

Hi guys, me and my wife are starting to think about moving from the UK to Ontario. I'd be lying if I said the Bills weren't a major factor in where we are moving. With this in mind I was wondering if anyone here has any advice as to nice area's to move to in Ontario. I know there are a few forum members on here from Ontario. We enjoy the quiet community life so anything like that would be great. If this is in totally the wrong place I apologise.

Well what type of work do u do? Do you need to be close to a city for employment? Toronto is the center of Ontario but there are smaller cities in southern Ontario that are closer to the U.S. that might appeal as well what are you looking for ? Any more details you can provide would be helpful for us to give advice. But lundys lane is a nice street

Also, what type of lifestyle are you looking for? If you like the hustle and bustle of big cities (and are willing to put up with a ridiculous amount of traffic on the expressways), then Toronto would be the place for you. There are surrounding suburbs in the Greater Toronto Area (such as Mississauga, Brampton, Etibicoke, Oakville, Scarborough, etc.) but to get to Metro Toronto, you have to take the expressways, which are amongst the worst in the world for traffic.

On the plus side, Toronto is approximately less than 2 hours away from Buffalo. If you move to Hamilton, you are about an hour and 20 minutes away. Hamilton is a little dingy, but it's quaint. It's like a Canadian Buffalo.

Further away is the nation's capital - Ottawa. It's a smaller Toronto and a little more scenic because of the capital buildings and parks. Much less traffic to deal with but not as much of the fun that Toronto has with its film festivals and happening downtown area. Ottawa has a decent downtown called the Market but it's no where close to Toronto's. It is approximately 6.5 hours away from Buffalo.

After that there are a few towns and smaller cities, but Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto are probably the nicest of the bunch. Places like Kitchener and New Market are if you are more into idyllic locales and quiet living.

Hope that helps. Ontario is a big province so it all depends on what you are looking for.

More details would be needed. Do you already have a job lined up? If not, I wouldn't suggest it cause theres nothing here (like everywhere else).

If you do, it would help because we would know what area you would be looking in. Toronto is where all the "action" is if your into a big city. The surrounding areas (and Toronto) are not cheap. Hamilton puts you in the centre of Toronto and the US border to Buffalo, but its Hamilton, its been refered to as "the pittsburgh of Canada" by jon Stewart. The Niagara area has alot of nice areas and the housing is much more affordable as you can find nice higher end places for fractions of what they cost in Toronto. Your within 30 minutes to the Peace bridge in most areas, and an hour and 15 minutes to Toronto in non rush hour traffic.

Hi guys, me and my wife are starting to think about moving from the UK to Ontario. I'd be lying if I said the Bills weren't a major factor in where we are moving. With this in mind I was wondering if anyone here has any advice as to nice area's to move to in Ontario. I know there are a few forum members on here from Ontario. We enjoy the quiet community life so anything like that would be great. If this is in totally the wrong place I apologise.

Toronto is Canada's largest city with upwards of four million people. Toronto is pricey. Traffic can be very slow moving. Canada also has a London which happens to be in Ontario! If your London is your desired style of living then Toronto (also known as TO) may be your style! A quiet community life is available in much of Ontario.

Here are a few web sites that may be helpful:

http://www.torontocityguide.com/

http://ontariovisitorguide.com/

http://relocatecanada.com/

Good luck to you and your wife!

Canada is one of my favorite places on earth. Love the country, love the people.

You have made an excellent choice.

Molson's Stock Ale

The Big Cheese

Pea Meal Bacon

Paul Weber's

Downtown Magnetawan

PS....don't listen to those other knackers

Edited by DrFishfinder

The first thing you need to learn is that "apologize" is spelled with a "Z"

...Never mind, you are talking about Canada where "center" is spelled "centre"

my suggestion would be to come visit Stratford, Ontario. This a most lovely community, offering much in terms of culture and beauty, city small enough to be livable but big enough to offer the things you need for day to day life.

Edited by millbank

Hamilton is like any other old industrial city, the downtown is **** but the outskirts are great.

I would suggest anything within 75 Kms of T.O. whether it be north, south, east or west. My Brother lives in Brantford and I used to live in Whitby.

Just STAY OUT OF TORONTO! Especially with Rob Ford as Mayor.

If a republican get elected to the office of President I might move to Canada as well.

I think they have different names for the political parties in Canada. There are no democrats and republicans so a republican won't get elected. You'll be staying in the good ole USA.

I think the two main parties are the eskimos and the illiterates but it is a multi party system.

Might want to check out Burlington. My link

I grew up in Burlington. Great little city. I haven't been back there for 5 years unfortunately. Hour or so drive for Bills games. Haven't been to one of them (in Orchard Park that is) for probably 12 years.

Edited by Dante

I think they have different names for the political parties in Canada. There are no democrats and republicans so a republican won't get elected. You'll be staying in the good ole USA.

I think the two main parties are the eskimos and the illiterates but it is a multi party system.

Wow, you really are a dim-witted American, what are they teaching you guys down there?

The Eskimo Party has been its own party in ages, not since it merged with the Inuit party to create the Native Party. There is no "illiterate" party either. The other major party here is the Newfie party (although some have nicknamed them the illiterates). Other then that the only other major party is the Quebec/french party, but no one cares about them and they are minor party