Merriman

Boludo

I'm sick of this complete lack of production.

He seems like a cool guy. He seems to bring leadership and a winning attitude to the team. He seems good at getting the boys ready to play. He has great intangibles.

But damn son you gotta do SOMETHING on the field! That little taste we got in the preseason was nice, but he hasn't done **** so far this year in real games.

I want to like you Shawne. I want to do the Lights Out dance in my living room and run out and buy a Merriman jersey.

Giive me a reason tomorrow!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first two weeks he was not seeing much action and not used as a primary player in his responsiblities. In the NE game he was not used to pass rush. I feel, and its a lot like Brad Smith, neither have been shown with their full array of weapons.

I'm not hating, I WANT him to succeed.

It's just obviously the case that so far he hasn't done much of anything.

The defense needs to get better and Merriman having at least a minor impact would go a long way towards helping.

OK I guess I'm blind then. I'm watching the same game as you and rewatching the same game as you, and on the vast majority of snaps he is ineffective and loses a 1v1 matchup.

Again, I hope this changes tomorrow, and I don't want to get get into a Merriman hating war because I am rooting for him.

It would be nice if he registered a few sacks this year, some tackles for loss, and forty or fifty tackles.

btw do you guys know how many other teams have recorded more sacks so far this year than the Bills have?

literally every single other team has more sacks than us

here's hoping tomorrow turns that around

yea u must be blind because just last week I saw him drive the best left tackle in the league back in to the best Qb in the league to force a throw that was returned for a touchdown by our Bills that won the game. Yea that doesnt seem like much of an impact.

I love when people try to comment on something they have no idea about. If sacks is all you think is "production" then you are clearly mistaken. Obviously, you didn't notice that he held the edge most of the game in KC and rarely rushed the passer. But since he wasn't in the stat column he had a bad game...

I'm sick of this complete lack of production.

He seems like a cool guy. He seems to bring leadership and a winning attitude to the team. He seems good at getting the boys ready to play. He has great intangibles.

But damn son you gotta do SOMETHING on the field! That little taste we got in the preseason was nice, but he hasn't done **** so far this year in real games.

I want to like you Shawne. I want to do the Lights Out dance in my living room and run out and buy a Merriman jersey.

Giive me a reason tomorrow!

There's a great article over on Buffalo Rumblings, more or less addressing your basic point that the Bills should blitz more, and that Merriman is expected to contribute

Rumblings article on Bengals

"During their 3-0 start, the Buffalo Bills have not been particularly exotic defensively. They've preferred to rush four, blitz infrequently and limit the big play - and it's largely worked against them, with the Raiders and Patriots combining for 66 points in the Bills' last two wins"

I only half agree with him there. True, the Bills gave up a lot of points. True, Campbell looked like the reincarnation of Steve Young with a side order of Darryl Lamonica at times.

But we gave up less points than we scored - and it could easily have gotten out of hand if the Bills had allowed McFadden to turn it on like he did with the Jets, or had followed the well-trodden path of Teams the Patriots Whumped and blitzed 'ol Tom Brady.

I do agree that tomorrow would be a good day to find out if we can, indeed, "bring the heat".

All the stuff about "complete lack of production" from Merriman is starting to grate on me, though. There's a fantastic article at the same site (Rumblings) breaking down the Buffalo defense. I have trouble effectively searching that site, it was linked here though. The point was the Bills are using hybrid fronts where the OLB essentially are used as down lineman. Merriman spent a lot of the Oak game with one hand on the ground, assigned to set the edge and contain the run. While some might consider his success limited, consider what happened to the Jets, who actually FAILED.

(I'm looking forward to New England's experience, Mwahahahaha. But I digress).

Against NE, we were again, very conservative - rushing 4. That's a tough setup to sack from. Brady gets rid of the ball too quickly, and his OL is too good.

So. Has Merriman showed the "Lights Out" probowl form we hoped to see? No, not so far.

Has he made solid contributions to our D and been an upgrade at the position? Yes. Yes, he has. I can't call that "total lack of production". I also believe (but of course can not prove) that Kelsay sightings have increased, in part because of blocking attention on Merriman. That didn't happen last year.

It's also a point that our coaches have been limited his reps and easing him in slowly.

Hopeful sez: Chillax, bro. He is doing "something". That it's not what we all want to see, partly is by defensive design, partly by limited playing time - limited for good reason. Let him play himself into form. If it's Week 8 and he's still MIA, then repeat this post and I'll swallow my crow.

I still think we need to look out for a pass rusher in next years draft - wait, am I allowed to say that? :devil:

Edited by Hopeful

yea u must be blind because just last week I saw him drive the best left tackle in the league back in to the best Qb in the league to force a throw that was returned for a touchdown by our Bills that won the game. Yea that doesnt seem like much of an impact.

Nope.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d8228cdba/Patriots-vs-Bills-highlights

The play is at about 1:40.

Merriman's rush is ineffective, and Dareus makes a nice play to tip the pass which is what resulted in the interception. Merriman had a marginal bull rush that did not at all directly result in the pick.

Bills are playing great and I'm psyched they are 3-0 but to pretend like we have a good pass rush at this point is a little bit silly. It's OK to acknowledge both the good and the bad while rooting your team on.

Nope.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d8228cdba/Patriots-vs-Bills-highlights

Merriman's rush is ineffective, and Dareus makes a nice play to tip the pass which is what resulted in the interception. Merriman had a marginal bull rush that did not at all directly result in the pick.

Bills are playing great and I'm psyched they are 3-0 but to pretend like we have a good pass rush at this point is a little bit silly. It's OK to acknowledge both the good and the bad while rooting your team on.

BS u little weasle, the ball was snapped at the 20, Merriman drove Matt Light back to the 14, and Brady let it fly before he got his P***Y hurt.

Nope.

http://www.nfl.com/v...ills-highlights

Modern Technology can stop an argument cold. "Lights out" needs some better moves.

BS u little weasle, the ball was snapped at the 20, Merriman drove Matt Light back to the 14, and Brady let it fly before he got his P***Y hurt.

nope sorry you lose - hopefully merriman makes a few big plays vs cincy tho

I think the stats will come as the stinger goes away

i'm really hopeful there is some truth to the nagging injury theories, and that his play improves as the year goes on

I'm not hating, I WANT him to succeed.

It's just obviously the case that so far he hasn't done much of anything.

The defense needs to get better and Merriman having at least a minor impact would go a long way towards helping.

do you think our run stop isnt this good if Merriman isnt holding his ground out there and drawing attention? That is the first stage of improvement of this team.....STOP THE RUN....and Shawn is heavily involved with that.

He has his hand on the ground the majority of the time.....which is not his best pass rush position.

just to highlight how badly ruffmuff fails at posting, here is a photo of the play in question as brady delivers the ball

http://i.imgur.com/5YiNQ.jpg

this is a screenshot of the highlight video at 1:54 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d8228cdba/Patriots-vs-Bills-highlights)

merriman has been decent against the turn, and the entire team has been decent against the run - which is GREAT! the defense is playing better than they did last year.

now let's step it up and get a little bit more pressure on the qb!

I'm happy sacrificing wins for sacks

I'm not, but I'm happy sacrificing sacks for wins! I would just like to see both is all, and I think an effective pass rush is part of a winning formula.

Edited by Boludo