Nobody Circles the Wagons

Mark80

That's funny. You basically called me an idiot by not calling me an idiot! Awesome. I don't know what to tell you guys, maybe it is an age thing. I'm 30, went to a darn good univeristy in Ithaca, and have never heard the expression outside of Bills talk. I really can't be the only one.

And my western experience...Unforgiven, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves, Open Range, Young Guns and remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. No wagon circling in those!

You need to watch some older westerns like Bend in the River or Winchester '73 (and it is Ithaca University not "univeristy"?!?) :rolleyes:

Both of those movies have "circle the wagons" scenes...

Go Bills!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all heard the fantastic line coined by Berman "Nobody Circles the Wagons like the Buffalo Bills." But I wonder, does everyone really know what is referring to? I didn't. I always thought it sounded cool, thought maybe it had something to do with people jumping on the bandwagon when we started being good, but was never really sure.

So I took it upon myself to do some googling and was pleasently surprised to find out what it really means and I thought I'd share it since I couldn't find it brought up before.

The saying refers to the way the settlers/frontier people would defend themselves back in the days of the old west. When they were threatened by someone/something (most often Natives) they would arrange their wagons in a circle to form wall of sorts. They would keep inside the circle using it for protection and defense. Using this tactic they were able to defeat foes that seemingly would have walked right over them in a fight.So, using this in a football sense it really refers to three things. First, a victory that came after being down by a lot (i.e. the Houston Oilers playoff victory). Second, a victory against a heavily favored opponent that no one expected them to defeat. And finally, a season of success when no one thought the team would be good.

So far this season seems to be the ultimate circling of the wagons. We have made two impressive 2nd half comebacks from significant deficits, we have also beat a team where hardly anyone expected us to emerge with a victory, and we are 3-0 when most (including myself) felt this was going to be another long, tough season with the possiblity of getting a #1 overall pick. I'm elated at where we stand now and can't wait for Sunday's again.

Just thought I'd share.

It is moments like these that made great minds such as Issac Newton think of gravity by watching an apple fall from a tree.

"Circling the wagons" was used particularly well against some of the Siouxan tribes. In particular, the Otoe of the Nebraska territory, who were renowned as swordsmen (they had a contingent at the war party that won at Little Bighorn). It's tough with any hand weapons, like a sword, to swarm even a minimally fortified position hand-to-hand, especially so with bladed weapons, which tend to be unwieldy.

Another not well known point about the Otoe: they used to wear armor made of boiled buffalo-leather into battle. Thus they were known - roughly translated - as the "Buffalo Swords" to the rest of the Sioux. Cavalry, being cavalry and using cavalry sabres, not true "swords", thus referred to them as the "Buffalo Sabres".

So now you know...

So, are you giving him a pass -or not?

:blink:

Anyway, Berman used the line way before The Comeback.

The OP's historical reference is a valid one, but not the genesis of Berman's famous phrase. CB has explained a couple of times about a kid in his neighborhood named Billy and a game they used to play called Circle the Wagons. He didn't know how the name came about but it was basically a game of outdoor musical chairs. Instead of chairs They would use the little red wagons that kids used to pull around.

Anyway, this kid Billy was the smallest/weakest kid in the group but he would always manage to win the games and CB was amazed by this. Eventually one of the parents said something like "Nobody plays Circle the Wagons like Billy" and Berman always remembered the phrase. He said he used it on the Bills not only for the Billy reference but also for the fact that like the original Billy, the Bills always seemed to be the underdog but somehow managed to come out on top.

I remember the show when he explained it and he said that the name for the game "Circle the Wagons" may have come from the old west but he couldn't remember how the street game originally got named. He then stated that the reason he used the phrase on the show was this kid named Billy. He actually brought him on set for a second and shook his hand. It was pretty cool. Don't ask me how I remember details like this but I remember the show was on the same night that the Jays and Braves played the first ever World Series game outside US borders. Maybe that will make it findable on Youtube.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

All of you old farts might of learned that in school but they don't teach it anymore. And nobody watches westerns these days so I bet a lot of the younger fans including myself appreciate the OP's post.

I know they don't teach it anymore. American history has been replaced by LGBT appreciation week.

Another not well known point about the Otoe: they used to wear armor made of boiled buffalo-leather into battle. Thus they were known - roughly translated - as the "Buffalo Swords" to the rest of the Sioux. Cavalry, being cavalry and using cavalry sabres, not true "swords", thus referred to them as the "Buffalo Sabres".

So now you know...

I'm glad Buffalo's franchise was around first and Canada got stuck with the stupid Cavalry Flames.

Not to be rude but wow, that post made me feel much older than my 40 years.

I learned that in elementary school way back. They probably don't teach it anymore in our new sanitized PC environment.

RTB

i thought the same thing, getting old is a terrible thing