Nobody Circles the Wagons

Mark80

We've all heard the fantastic line coined by Berman "Nobody Circles the Wagons like the Buffalo Bills." But I wonder, does everyone really know what is referring to? I didn't. I always thought it sounded cool, thought maybe it had something to do with people jumping on the bandwagon when we started being good, but was never really sure.

So I took it upon myself to do some googling and was pleasently surprised to find out what it really means and I thought I'd share it since I couldn't find it brought up before.

The saying refers to the way the settlers/frontier people would defend themselves back in the days of the old west. When they were threatened by someone/something (most often Natives) they would arrange their wagons in a circle to form wall of sorts. They would keep inside the circle using it for protection and defense. Using this tactic they were able to defeat foes that seemingly would have walked right over them in a fight.

So, using this in a football sense it really refers to three things. First, a victory that came after being down by a lot (i.e. the Houston Oilers playoff victory). Second, a victory against a heavily favored opponent that no one expected them to defeat. And finally, a season of success when no one thought the team would be good.

So far this season seems to be the ultimate circling of the wagons. We have made two impressive 2nd half comebacks from significant deficits, we have also beat a team where hardly anyone expected us to emerge with a victory, and we are 3-0 when most (including myself) felt this was going to be another long, tough season with the possiblity of getting a #1 overall pick. I'm elated at where we stand now and can't wait for Sunday's again.

Just thought I'd share.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all heard the fantastic line coined by Berman "Nobody Circles the Wagons like the Buffalo Bills." But I wonder, does everyone really know what is referring to? I didn't. I always thought it sounded cool, thought maybe it had something to do with people jumping on the bandwagon when we started being good, but was never really sure.

So I took it upon myself to do some googling and was pleasently surprised to find out what it really means and I thought I'd share it since I couldn't find it brought up before.

The saying refers to the way the settlers/frontier people would defend themselves back in the days of the old west. When they were threatened by someone/something (most often Natives) they would arrange their wagons in a circle to form wall of sorts. They would keep inside the circle using it for protection and defense. Using this tactic they were able to defeat foes that seemingly would have walked right over them in a fight.

So, using this in a football sense it really refers to three things. First, a victory that came after being down by a lot (i.e. the Houston Oilers playoff victory). Second, a victory against a heavily favored opponent that no one expected them to defeat. And finally, a season of success when no one thought the team would be good.

So far this season seems to be the ultimate circling of the wagons. We have made two impressive 2nd half comebacks from significant deficits, we have also beat a team where hardly anyone expected us to emerge with a victory, and we are 3-0 when most (including myself) felt this was going to be another long, tough season with the possiblity of getting a #1 overall pick. I'm elated at where we stand now and can't wait for Sunday's again.

Just thought I'd share.

I understood the reference, but seeing it typed out as a reminder to everyone else, just gave me the chills. thanks for that! :thumbsup:

Not to be rude but wow, that post made me feel much older than my 40 years.

I learned that in elementary school way back. They probably don't teach it anymore in our new sanitized PC environment.

RTB

Yeah, but now they teach kids which Indian Navite America leaders were gay, so that's just as useful.

Just thought I'd share.

As much as I'd like to call you an idiot for not knowing this and needing to google it...fact of the matter is, I've slammed people before for not knowing something and NOT being able to google it, thus I feel it would be unfair of me to in turn berate you, when you can actually use Google!

But holy Christ...you didn't know that? And you thought the rest of us didn't know that? The hell with school...watch a western. :wallbash:

Just thought I'd share.

i thought it was a running play

I think the simplest way to state it is that "circling the wagons" refers to overcoming adversity -- but thanks for the history lesson. ;)

Plus the "cirlce the wagons" reference is to Buffalo Bill Cody, the source of the team's name in the first place. His wild west show (where he was the star as the faster rider, best shooter, etc) had all the wagons and indian fights and the whole bit.. so Berman's reference is much deeper than just wagons... the teams namesake is a big part of it too... look it up. it was the Circ de Soliel of the 1800's

As much as I'd like to call you an idiot for not knowing this and needing to google it...fact of the matter is, I've slammed people before for not knowing something and NOT being able to google it, thus I feel it would be unfair of me to in turn berate you, when you can actually use Google!

But holy Christ...you didn't know that? And you thought the rest of us didn't know that? The hell with school...watch a western. :wallbash:

So, are you giving him a pass -or not?

:blink:

Anyway, Berman used the line way before The Comeback.

That's funny. You basically called me an idiot by not calling me an idiot! Awesome. I don't know what to tell you guys, maybe it is an age thing. I'm 30, went to a darn good univeristy in Ithaca, and have never heard the expression outside of Bills talk. I really can't be the only one.

And my western experience...Unforgiven, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves, Open Range, Young Guns and remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. No wagon circling in those!

Edited by Mark80

That's funny. You basically called me an idiot by not calling me an idiot! Awesome. I don't know what to tell you guys, maybe it is an age thing. I'm 30, went to a darn good univeristy in Ithaca, and have never heard the expression outside of Bills talk. I really can't be the only one.

And my western experience...Unforgiven, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves, Open Range, Young Guns and remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. No wagon circling in those!

im not going to lie. i didnt know either. i went to college too. lol.

here is what i thought it meant:

i thought it meant we were going round and round (like in circles) and being that same weak team

the wagon part just sounded cool or maybe the transportation being used to go round and round in

that doesnt meant im not a fan.

ps. i was just just referred to as "there's YOU kind of nfl fan and the regular nfl fan" my buddy was implying im probably addicted to the sport and go beyond regular fanhood. which he would be right.

Don't they teach you how to form sentences in college? Wow, that was awful. I hope you were kidding there.

if i have to write a letter or something professional, it will be impressive. correct grammar, etc.

but here... im here to talk football.

ps. just like the op, i didnt know exactly what it meant. we have sucked badly for 10 yrs. not knowing what ctwagons has not been a top priority

Maybe being 36 makes it easier for me to guess what CTW meant. This is the Pokemon generation after all.

Oh just great, exactly what this board needs, another english professer. No go tell me I speelled professer wrong.

maek it sow that wee cen atleest undarstan it

i lik to undarstan wut

i am reeding iz all

sorry

Not to be rude but wow, that post made me feel much older than my 40 years.

Nailed it for me as well. It really startled me. Crap, I really am over the hill and on the way down.

Yup, he sure did! Nice response!