NY Sen. Schumer accuses OnStar of invading privacy

BillsWatch

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20110925/D9PVQ5UG1.html

The OnStar automobile communication service used by 6 million Americans maintains its two-way connection with a customer even after the service is discontinued, while reserving the right to sell data from that connection.

Nothing on OnStar's website to discontinue monitoring; going to send a notice to Chevy that if they do not put pressure on OnStar that will not purchase any more cars from them since there is no way to remove OnStar gear without mechanic.

The spying by OnStar makes it sound like they should be sponsor of Patriots.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OnStar automobile communication service used by 6 million Americans maintains its two-way connection with a customer even after the service is discontinued, while reserving the right to sell data from that connection.

Nothing on OnStar's website to discontinue monitoring; going to send a notice to Chevy that if they do not put pressure on OnStar that will not purchase any more cars from them since there is no way to remove OnStar gear without mechanic.

Either that or read a contract before you sign it. I realize involving the US Senate in every consumer complaint possible is much more fun though.

I never did understand why anyone would want OnStar.

What does OnStar do that a cell phone won't?

I have some sort of OnStar type thing with my car. I don't pay for it so I don't care but I have never used it and probably never will. I guess the only thing it's good for if you're in a wreck it knows when your air bags deploy. You may not be able or even conscious to use your cell.

Schumer's just upset that OnStar's infringing on rights reserved exclusively for government.

Either that or read a contract before you sign it. I realize involving the US Senate in every consumer complaint possible is much more fun though.

My wife's Yukon has OnStar in it from before we bought it used. We never signed any contract but thanks for playing.

My wife's Yukon has OnStar in it from before we bought it used. We never signed any contract but thanks for playing.

Well up until today OnStar was thanking you for playing. Up until today you had to opt out of OnStar to prevent them from collecting information even if the service was cancelled.

on star has other risks... a local attorney went missing after a party late one night. his wife had onstar track the car and the local police found him in a compromising situation. beware onstar.

I know a guy whose On-star earned him a DUI also.

Well, that and the fact he was drinking and driving......

Ummm....there is a famous old Greek phrase called "mea culpa" which means "let the buyer beware". When someone buys a house, land, and/or a used car they are supposed to do what is called a title search. This process takes care of the "mea culpa". Sometimes land has a right of way or an appeasement which allow certain rights to non-owners. Sometimes cars can be followed by OnStar. If you don't do a title search you won't know. Mea culpa indeed.

WTF are you talking about? title searches to find out if a car I'm buying is going to be tracked by an inactive OnStar subscription? Perhaps it's on me to check to make sure whoever designed the car vents didn't install a webcam.

Look, buy what you want when you want but if you don't do your homework then be prepared for the unexpected. That is what the term mea culpa means and it has been handed down from generation to generation. Everyone looks over the engine, the tires and the fuel injectors when they buy a car. They should do a title search too.

WTF are you talking about? title searches to find out if a car I'm buying is going to be tracked by an inactive OnStar subscription? Perhaps it's on me to check to make sure whoever designed the car vents didn't install a webcam.

Up until this week it was up to you to see if your car was being tracked by an inactive OnStar subscription. You do realize that this is what the whole boruhaha is about don't you?