NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS!!!!!

sir andrew

The first big call got us off our own goalline and the second big call put us on theirs. I thought both calls were bailouts.

As for your odd comment about my anti-Bills spin, I have no idea what you're talking about.

The second call was clearly illegal contact. Didn't look like he meant to do it, but the DB wrapped his arms around Nelson while the ball was in the air. Any chance of Nelson making a play on the ball, even if it was to just knock it out of the defenses hands, was taken away. Not sure how much more perfect example of penalty you can find.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon John, you're too good for this; don't be that guy. The interference didn't even occur until after he threw the ball and no QB in his right mind has ever thrown a ball into coverage in anticipation of a flag being thrown. The premise is just ridiculous. Yeah Gannon was a buffoon yesterday but he was correct that this was a horrific decision on Fitz's part.

That entire TD drive was a gift from the refs. Considering past events, a well-deserved gift, but a gift nonetheless.

That WASNOT a bloody gift, it was very much legit, need proof watch the bloody vid posted by the op, no interference there and he would have been where Fitz threw it. If he would have caught it is a different discussion but that was a PI as clear as they come.

The entire drive was a gift? Is that they guy you want to be? Seriously, why do you get off on this over the top anti Bills spin on almost every topic?

There was one questionable penalty in that drive, the first play, and given how protective the refs were throughout the whole game, it fit right in.

Yep, it was a gift. There were well executed plays in the middle but the beginning and end were both horrible calls by the zebras, one of which took away a turnover on one of the worst decisions I've ever seen a QB make.

Yep, it was a gift. There were well executed plays in the middle but the beginning and end were both horrible calls by the zebras, one of which took away a turnover on one of the worst decisions I've ever seen a QB make.

Again, if you can't see the penalty there you're blind. I'm in agreement that it was a ridiculous pass, but that doesn't change the penalty. What is it about the play that makes you guys think it was a gift? DB's arms wrapped around Nelson. How can that be interpreted any other way?

That WASNOT a bloody gift, it was very much legit, need proof watch the bloody vid posted by the op, no interference there and he would have been where Fitz threw it. If he would have caught it is a different discussion but that was a PI as clear as they come.

:lol:

The dude was 5 yards deep in the endzone. The intercepting player caught the ball at the goal line. Unless David Nelson is Plastic Man with the Flash's wheels, there's no way in hell that's anything but a pick because no player can stop on a dime and run 2 steps in the other direction in the time available.

Try reversing the jerseys and seeing the play for real, you !@#$ing homer.

Again, if you can't see the penalty there you're blind. I'm in agreement that it was a ridiculous pass, but that doesn't change the penalty. What is it about the play that makes you guys think it was a gift? DB's arms wrapped around Nelson. How can that be interpreted any other way?

How about the fact that it was intercepted 5 yards from where the "interference" happened. The last time I checked, interference was for "catch able" balls. That ball wasn't catch able because it was intercepted LONG before it would have ever gotten to the receiver.

I don't have a problem with the penalty - lord knows we've been on the end of them for too long. That doesn't make it a good call.

The second call was clearly illegal contact. Didn't look like he meant to do it, but the DB wrapped his arms around Nelson while the ball was in the air. Any chance of Nelson making a play on the ball, even if it was to just knock it out of the defenses hands, was taken away. Not sure how much more perfect example of penalty you can find.

It is very rare to see an official throw a flag to bail out a QB who makes a foolish throw into heavy coverage. Two things about this instance: 1) I thought Nelson actually initiated contact and then sold it hard to buy a flag because he knew it was a bad ball and nothing good was going to come of it; a very smart play on his part and the DB got suckered by doing nothing more than just standing there. 2) The ref doesn't even get his flag out when the contact occurs. I was laughing my ass off because the guy wasn't even going to call it, but then when it got picked he then decided he better call it because it had resulted in a change of possession. If he was smart he would have just called up a contact foul and given us the 5 yards; although it clearly happened after the ball was in the air so maybe he figured he'd done enough fudging.

Props to Nelson for his heads up play, but I thought it was a bailout call on Fitz's only really bad decision of the day.

:lol:

The dude was 5 yards deep in the endzone. The intercepting player caught the ball at the goal line. Unless David Nelson is Plastic Man with the Flash's wheels, there's no way in hell that's anything but a pick because no player can stop on a dime and run 2 steps in the other direction in the time available.

How about the fact that it was intercepted 5 yards from where the "interference" happened. The last time I checked, interference was for "catch able" balls. That ball wasn't catch able because it was intercepted LONG before it would have ever gotten to the receiver.

Yeah, that 5 yards is an insurmountable distance to cover for a WR. However could he have managed. This isn't homerism, it's the rule book. Maybe there's no way in hell he ever catches that ball, but he was close enough to make a play on it. The DB wrapped him up while he still had that opportunity.

It is very rare to see an official throw a flag to bail out a QB who makes a foolish throw into heavy coverage. Two things about this instance: 1) I thought Nelson actually initiated contact and then sold it hard to buy a flag because he knew it was a bad ball and nothing good was going to come of it; a very smart play on his part and the DB got suckered by doing nothing more than just standing there. 2) The ref doesn't even get his flag out when the contact occurs. I was laughing my ass off because the guy wasn't even going to call it, but then when it got picked he then decided he better call it because it had resulted in a change of possession. If he was smart he would have just called up a contact foul and given us the 5 yards; although it clearly happened after the ball was in the air so maybe he figured he'd done enough fudging.

Props to Nelson for his heads up play, but I thought it was a bailout call on Fitz's only really bad decision of the day.

I disagree that's is a rare call, but that's just two different opinions, so whatever...

Like I said earlier, it doesn't look like the guy means to do what he did. I don't think Nelson had the time to think about doing it on purpose, but the fact that they were so close and started to get tangles obviously makes the guy do what he did. But how does that matter? The fact is he committed the foul. Rule book doesn't say there has to be forethought.

Edited by Faustus

Yeah, that 5 yards is an insurmountable distance to cover for a WR. However could he have managed. This isn't homerism, it's the rule book. Maybe there's no way in hell he ever catches that ball, but he was close enough to make a play on it. The DB wrapped him up while he still had that opportunity.

I disagree that's is a rare call, but that's just two different opinions, so whatever...

Like I said earlier, it doesn't look like the guy means to do what he did. I don't think Nelson had the time to think about doing it on purpose, but the fact that they were so close and started to get tangles obviously makes the guy do what he did. But how does that matter? The fact is he committed the foul. Rule book doesn't say there has to be forethought.

Despite what the rulebook says, PI calls are made very subjectively (its why they have "incidental contact" for the stripes to fall back on). If that DB is the only guy in the area, then yeah, he's going to get flagged more often than not. But if that throw is coming into the kind of coverage that Nelson was facing, refs definitely do not want to bail out the offense by breaking out a flag. That ref obviously did not want to pull out a flag either, and I don't think there's a chance in hell he would have had the ball not been picked. Even then, I was still surprised that he did.

And again, it's just two different guys' opinions, but I think Nelson is a very heady player and I think he definitely drew that contact looking for a free flag cuz that's the only chance he had.

Still wondering about my over the top anti-Bills spin in every thread. :huh:

Since I don't have cable anymore, that was great to see. My favorite part of the highlights, on Freddie's long run down the right side, there were at least 3 O-line at the finish. I saw Bell, Pears, and one other I couldn't make out. That was something like a 25 yard run.

This Bills team exemplifies the phrase, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

Remember that good Rich Gannon taking the time to B word about Fitz throwing that ball into the end zone? And how he CANNOT MAKE THAT THROW....harped on it over and over

You know what Gannon....your wrong. Fitz threw it because he saw the interference and GOOD QB's know when to throw the ball to an area because they know the pass interference is gonna get called.....it puts us to the 1 yard line so we can score.....

GOOD PLAY FITZ

Helluva good pernt. Dunno if it's really true or not, but I'm lovin it.

I don't have a problem with the penalty - lord knows we've been on the end of them for too long. That doesn't make it a good call.

Despite what the rulebook says, PI calls are made very subjectively (its why they have "incidental contact" for the stripes to fall back on). If that DB is the only guy in the area, then yeah, he's going to get flagged more often than not. But if that throw is coming into the kind of coverage that Nelson was facing, refs definitely do not want to bail out the offense by breaking out a flag. That ref obviously did not want to pull out a flag either, and I don't think there's a chance in hell he would have had the ball not been picked. Even then, I was still surprised that he did.

And again, it's just two different guys' opinions, but I think Nelson is a very heady player and I think he definitely drew that contact looking for a free flag cuz that's the only chance he had.

Still wondering about my over the top anti-Bills spin in every thread. :huh:

We definitely benefited from a few calls in the game. But, I can't call either of the calls on that drive "gifts". Both instances were clear penalties. The first was clearly a blow to Fitz's head. Was it a hard blow? No. But, the rules are quite clear - hit the QB's head and you get a flag. The fact that they called it on a Buffalo QB playing against NE* is a surprise, I agree. But, its the right call based on the current rules. (Of course, if you're name is Vick... screw you. :pirate:)

The pass interference was also clear and blatant. Nelson stopped and tried to come back to the ball; the CB blatantly held him/ran into him and prevented him from doing so while in no way looking back at the ball. Again, clear cut pass interference. The reason the ball was 5 yds short of Nelson is because... he was held. I fail to see how that's any different than a ball 5 yds overthrown because the WR is held. I agree, Fitz was lucky there and Nelson made a great play to draw attention and get the flag. But, that doesn't change the fact that he was indeed held while the ball was in the air.

I don't think the refs in any way bailed the Bills out there. They did their job. It's unbelievable; I'm not used to the refs calling penalties against the Pats*; but they did their job.

Can you Pats* fans please go and watch the boomer recap posted here. It has the best camera angle on the PI, Nelson made the cutback move and was grabbed. THAT drew the penalty, the cb then followed up with the wrapping jam in which Nelson engaged. Never did the cb look at the ball, had the Cb played it clean Nelson would have fought for the ball at the very least.

Also note that a 5 minute every angle, lots of slomo analysis on ESPN Boston confirmed the call as being totally legit.

Was the call convient? Sure was, but did it ever cross your minds that play could have been a cut and drop back which could have been spot on? In all honesty the safety would prolly have made the int but it would have been a fight for the ball for sure. Bottomline is we will never know because the Pats cb panicked and caused a very clear PI.

You want to B word about a botched call, B word about the Byrd tackle call against Welker, that was a pure rubbish call that cost us 7.

Edited by bladiebla

Thank you Dan, exactly my point, longest resonse I ever typed on my iPhone only to post it and see that you posted exactly the same lol.

This win was real and in no way gifted, if anything not going for or getting the ints in the raiders game was one of the focus points of the db group this week. Gailey repeatedly stated throughout the week that he wanted the DBS to play the ball aggressively and not just cove/ tackle.