When did we really start getting better ??

Scrappy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, remember how many people were furious that we cut Trent? Seems like a decade ago but it was this time last year. Lot of people went nuts when Lynch got the boot as well. Same thing this year with Evans. Those people have been verrrrrryyyy quiet as of late. Of course, I'm talking about people on that other forum - everyone here knew those guys were severely overrated all along.

I was in the Evans camp, yes.

But who had Trent OVERrated? He had like four or five good games his entire stint in Buffalo. I was shocked this team started him last year, and I remember others being, too.

Even when he had this team 4-0, I remember thinking "He's not exciting, and I can't believe defenses haven't figured out how to stop his screen passes, but I'll take it."

Somewhere in the throes of 0-8. Teams either crumble or forge an attitude. Guys either cave or step up. Players either lead or get out of the way. I say it was the adversity of 0-8 that forged a certain mind-set and allowed them to emerge.

GO BILLS!!!

Keeping guys who are hungry and want to prove themselves. Buddy Nix was dead-on with his veteran purge plan in his interview with WGR. Bills fans only complaint now is we may have been able to get higher picks for the vets that were jettisoned and we're happy in being wrong. Otherwise, Nix is well on his way to earning Executive of the Year, and Chan Gailey will have to battle it out with Jim Schwartz for coach of the year.

Getting rid of Edwards and starting Fitz was the biggest move, but hiring Nix was the catalyst.

The offense starting getting better when Chan named Fitz and Freddy starters. Fitz helped to make Stevie a featured receiver. Moving Wood to center was a catalyst.

The defensive made some strides when they started giving Kyle Williams more reps, but the improvement really gained traction by getting bigger on the line with Dareus, and better at MLB with Barnett.

The Bills ability to contain the run this year is a huge improvement over last season.

I agree. I think people that say our defense is just as bad in other ways and we let up too many points don't understand how football is played.

We have a stout run defense that forces teams to throw on us, and since our offense has always been pretty good under Chan, it's reasonable to assume that we can win games by getting the ball back quickly. We get way more chances to score when the defense isn't allowing the other team to run the ball and drain the clock all game.

Additionally, as has been said over the weeks, we just came out of a very unique situation where we played 3 prolific scoring offenses both on the ground and in the air. We had to give up something, and when we did, the game was bound to be high-scoring. Most teams that beat the three teams we played are going to have to score a lot of points.

Edited by BringBackFlutie