When did we really start getting better ??

Scrappy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they really started to get better last season during that brutal stretch where they kept losing in OT. They came up short against some good teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore. But they fought hard, didn't give up, and came together as a team.

Now they're learning how to win.

Yup yup, we lost by 3 points last year against the Bears, Steelers, Chiefs, and Ravens all within 5-6 weeks.

Turning Point 1: When Dicky J, the worst coach this team has had in my football watching life, was fired in Week 11 of the 2009 season, and Fewell took over. You could see the players playing differently under him right away....more inspired.

Turning Point 2: Hiring Chan. I wish we kept Fewell as DC, but it is what it is.

Turning Point 3: Edwards gets cut after Game 2. Don't know who made the decision to start him or why, but jettisoning Edwards was huge. They were instantly better--inspiring--when Fitz took over.

Turning Point 4: All those OT losses to good teams in 2010.

Turning Point 5: Eradicating the stench of the awful last decade with new unis that don't look like Arena League unis.

Turning Point 6: Carryover from the same offense last year and plugs to our weakest hole: Defensive front 7 in the offseason.

Turning Point 7: Beating the Pats.

When they got rid of the overpriced, overrated deadwood:

Edwards.

Lynch.

McCargo.

Posluszny.

Whitner.

Maybin.

And yes, sorry to say: Evans.

The guys here now? They earned the right to be here. They want to be here.

I used to think there were better guys on the street than our GMs brought in. Nix changed that.

I also used to think there were better guys on the sidelines than our coaches were playing on the field. Gailey changed that.

[/quote

You forgot about Willis McLazy and JP Lostman

Somewhere after the bye week last year, things seemed to start clicking more...

Willis McHateBuffalo yes, but McLazy that guy NEVER was. Just saying you were way off that's all. :rolleyes:

Indeed, I think McGahee, for all his personal faults, was plenty productive for us as a running back.

The NFL Draft conclusion on Sunday this past April.

On that day, we did not have a franchise quarterback selected, or even any quarterback.

For the first time in his life, Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't a backup to Marc Bulger or to Carson Palmer or to Trent Edwards.

Ryan Fitzpatrick became THE starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills, and hence, we have a bonafide, unchallenged leader.

THAT my friends is what we call a mental game changer.

The biggest to me is the hiring of Gailey. It's difficult to understand why this guy hasn't been a head coach in this league for years-- he is everything you want your leader to be, and he is getting the very most out of the talent he has.

He will prove his worth even further this Sunday when he pushes all the right buttons during the week and avoids a letdown 7 days after the franchise's biggest win in more than a decade.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

I think the day they cut Trent has gotta be right up there.

Hah, remember how many people were furious that we cut Trent? Seems like a decade ago but it was this time last year. Lot of people went nuts when Lynch got the boot as well. Same thing this year with Evans. Those people have been verrrrrryyyy quiet as of late. Of course, I'm talking about people on that other forum - everyone here knew those guys were severely overrated all along.