One thing remains a constant with this team

Homey D. Clown

First, I have to say that I love the group of players and coaches this team is operating with this year, for the first time in more than 10 years it feels like this team has gotten it's collective $h1t together. in every area, EXCEPT where it counts most.

I don't know why on God's green earth this team is determined to underpay each and every player it can, until they are forced to go elsewhere. You can trace this absolutely pisspoor behavior all the way back to the mis-handling of Pete Gogolak. Don't believe me, look through the team's history and look at all the talent this franchise has let walk out the front door(Bill Polian era is not included in this rant, as he would not let our miserly owner ruin his teams, and YES, the were HIS teams) and it's staggering, leaving you to wonder how much better this franchise could have been.

We as fans suffer through 11 years of some really bad football, some total !@#$ players(See McGahee, Rob Johnson, etc) Moron coaches, and countless rosters full of talentless chumps, then sprinkle in just a touch of idiotic drafting, just a sprinkle now, or your brain will have a Chernobyl-esque meltdown, and you'll have to live the rest of your days looking for Kmart on 400 Oak Street. And what does our F-ing front office, under the direct influence of the team's BILLIONAIRE douche-bag owner go ahead and do after a dream-like 2-0 start to this season? They decide to NOT start real, fair and serious talks with the team's 3 most valuable offensive weapons in Fred Jackson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Stevie Johnson.

As a fan for most of my 40+ years of life on this planet, this recent news has just completely boiled me over. I just can't stand the constant short-arm, deep pocketing policy this team operates under, it's enough to make the most passionate and fanatical of fans disgusted. I watch this team, win or lose, from kickoff to final whistle, EVERY game I can get my face in front of, which is about 98% of them since 1979, so I am left to ask WHAT NOW RALPH? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST F-ING PAY YOUR PLAYERS FOR ONCE IN YOUR MISERLY LIFE?

It's almost comical really. And please spare me the lame brained excuse he has brainwashed so many of the economic situation in Western New York, the NFL could operate a team anywhere in the country with ownership profit sharing, and TV revenue. Why do you think owners like Jerry Jones wanted player salary spending to be within a percentage of a team's cap? So stingy, Miserly owners like the Brown family and Mr. Wilson are forced to field a quality product, and not harbor all that money collected from the teams that actually WANT to win. The Buffalo Sabres ownership has really exposed the Bills this past year, and now that the latest news about 3 players getting the stiff arm from management has come on the morn of the team's best start(2008 doesn't count) in 15 years is just proof that this city deserves better than the owner that presides over this team.

You're welcome to bash me all you like, but if this team continues to win this year, like I hope they do, how can anyone feel good about it when we aren't even committed to keeping the guys that are making it happen?

All I would like to see is that they make a genuine effort, rather than piss off the team's most beloved player. These guys love the city, love the community, love the fans, so I say to everyone who made it this far in my rant, It's NOT THE AREA THAT PLAYERS DON'T LIKE, IT'S THE OWNER. Hold your head high Buffalo, you deserve it.

End Rant.

First, I have to say that I love the group of players and coaches this team is operating with this year, for the first time in more than 10 years it feels like this team has gotten it's collective $h1t together. in every area, EXCEPT where it counts most.

I don't know why on God's green earth this team is determined to underpay each and every player it can, until they are forced to go elsewhere. You can trace this absolutely pisspoor behavior all the way back to the mis-handling of Pete Gogolak. Don't believe me, look through the team's history and look at all the talent this franchise has let walk out the front door(Bill Polian era is not included in this rant, as he would not let our miserly owner ruin his teams, and YES, the were HIS teams) and it's staggering, leaving you to wonder how much better this franchise could have been.

We as fans suffer through 11 years of some really bad football, some total !@#$ players(See McGahee, Rob Johnson, etc) Moron coaches, and countless rosters full of talentless chumps, then sprinkle in just a touch of idiotic drafting, just a sprinkle now, or your brain will have a Chernobyl-esque meltdown, and you'll have to live the rest of your days looking for Kmart on 400 Oak Street. And what does our F-ing front office, under the direct influence of the team's BILLIONAIRE douche-bag owner go ahead and do after a dream-like 2-0 start to this season? They decide to NOT start real, fair and serious talks with the team's 3 most valuable offensive weapons in Fred Jackson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Stevie Johnson.

As a fan for most of my 40+ years of life on this planet, this recent news has just completely boiled me over. I just can't stand the constant short-arm, deep pocketing policy this team operates under, it's enough to make the most passionate and fanatical of fans disgusted. I watch this team, win or lose, from kickoff to final whistle, EVERY game I can get my face in front of, which is about 98% of them since 1979, so I am left to ask WHAT NOW RALPH? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST F-ING PAY YOUR PLAYERS FOR ONCE IN YOUR MISERLY LIFE?

It's almost comical really. And please spare me the lame brained excuse he has brainwashed so many of the economic situation in Western New York, the NFL could operate a team anywhere in the country with ownership profit sharing, and TV revenue. Why do you think owners like Jerry Jones wanted player salary spending to be within a percentage of a team's cap? So stingy, Miserly owners like the Brown family and Mr. Wilson are forced to field a quality product, and not harbor all that money collected from the teams that actually WANT to win. The Buffalo Sabres ownership has really exposed the Bills this past year, and now that the latest news about 3 players getting the stiff arm from management has come on the morn of the team's best start(2008 doesn't count) in 15 years is just proof that this city deserves better than the owner that presides over this team.

You're welcome to bash me all you like, but if this team continues to win this year, like I hope they do, how can anyone feel good about it when we aren't even committed to keeping the guys that are making it happen?

All I would like to see is that they make a genuine effort, rather than piss off the team's most beloved player. These guys love the city, love the community, love the fans, so I say to everyone who made it this far in my rant, It's NOT THE AREA THAT PLAYERS DON'T LIKE, IT'S THE OWNER. Hold your head high Buffalo, you deserve it.

End Rant.

You do realize that the team is in talks right now with both Fitz and Stevie per reports right? I am only guessing that it will be a matter of time before they talk to Freddy, especially with the production he has shown.

Before you jump off a bridge, realize that none of the guys you are talking about came to Buffalo as high picks. I notice you conveniently ignore Spiller and Dareus fron your rant. They get paid big bucks. Even that piece of crap Maybin robbed Ralph.

Are we supposed to sign all of our 7th rounders and UDFAs to multi-million dollar contacts just so they won't be underpaid if they turn out good? :blink:

PTR

True...Bills are reportedly in contract extension talks with Stevie and Fitz. They just signed Kyle Williams. Im optimistic they will sign these guys.

If not, The Bills need look no further than what happened with The Sabres when they waited, waited , waited to talk contract extensions with Drury and Briere. Both players got better and better as they year went on, their value went up and by season's end they were off to bigger markets with deeper pockets (and then were forced to overpay Vanek just not to lose all of the stars)

Let's hope The Bills are smarter than The Sabres (under Golisano and Quinn) were.

Before you jump off a bridge, realize that none of the guys you are talking about came to Buffalo as high picks. I notice you conveniently ignore Spiller and Dareus fron your rant. They get paid big bucks. Even that piece of crap Maybin robbed Ralph.

Are we supposed to sign all of our 7th rounders and UDFAs to multi-million dollar contacts just so they won't be underpaid if they turn out good? :blink:

PTR

It sounds like Stevie and Fitz are going to get extended. Given the Kyle Williams extension and IF these two guys get extended without a hitch, I won't be overly concerned. I'm not ready to jump off a bridge like OP, but I'll admit, I've had visions of losing Fitz in free agency. Things are moving in the right direction, but I wouldn't quite put it past this franchise just yet.

PTR

Ummmm... you have to pay high draft choices big money, with very little leeway because of slotting. And every team in the league has to do the exact same thing. That's really a crappy comparison.

You do realize that the team is in talks right now with both Fitz and Stevie per reports right? I am only guessing that it will be a matter of time before they talk to Freddy, especially with the production he has shown.

They did pay Kelly top money to come to Buffalo, making him the richest player in the NFL at the time. There have been times when the Bills were unbelievable cheap, and times when they should have been and weren't (Porcelain Rob).

Fitzy is 6-9 as a starter since 2010, turns 29 in two months, and is a sub-60% career passer.

Fred Jackson is a 30 year old running back. And he's not a guy that shies away from contact. He's got maybe one good season left if we're lucky.

Sorry, but you do not break the bank for these guys.

Johnson, however, is young and is getting better and better. We should pay this guy what he's worth and make sure he's a Bill through his 30th birthday.

Its been confirmed Stevie and Fitz are in contract talks, Freddy's got two years left so they're probably securing both those guys before they worry about Freddy. He will get paid, this FO has yet to let a talented player walk, unless you wanna count Poz but...well...yeah.

Stevie's talks are about 2 million a year apart... not really that bad,

Fitzpatrick was already extended an offer, and in case anyone is keeping score, he has declined to sign

Freddy(Really what ignited my Ire-laced rant) was slapped in the face to put it mildly, but to your point I hope they do.

To those who took the time to read, and countered with the top draft pick contracts, those were extended due more in part out of necessity, like taxes, death, and beer farts. Not a good example, sorry.

To the fellow who mentioned Jim Kelly, See the Bill Polian clause I built into my rant.

and to K-9, go bury your head in the sand and pretend I don't have a point, you'll feel better.

I am genuinely upset more with the fact this happens year in, and year out, and now that we seem to be rising from the ashes of a miserable decade, they(management, et al) just seem to pick the worst time to pull this crap. Good teams take care of play makers, and just because they were drafted in the 7th round doesn't diminish what they have accomplished for this team.

I am not now, nor was I suggesting the team overpay, but at least show these guys you mean business, they have become the very core of this team, and how you deal with them sends a message to the rest of the league how this franchise is run. If it made national headlines, who else do you think might formulate a negative opinion of how things are run around here.

Edited by McKinleys Curse

This new front office has yet to let a good player walk. You can't compare past front offices with this one yet. At this time, it seems Nix and company are doing well. In negotiations with Fitz and Johnson, you just don't give them what they want, that's why its called negotiating. Although, we all read that Jackson has been snubbed so far, do you really believe that won't get done at some point?

End Rant.

You are wrong. You are a hater who takes only evidence that can be skewed to fit your argument.

I wont bring up the draft picks but how about over paying for all those lousy FA's under the previous regimes? Or the overpaid WR we just traded away in the last year of his contract?

You really think the team that paid Dokery 49 mil. won't shell up for Fitz at a similar rate.

BYE BYE.

This new front office has yet to let a good player walk. You can't compare past front offices with this one yet. At this time, it seems Nix and company are doing well. In negotiations with Fitz and Johnson, you just don't give them what they want, that's why its called negotiating. Although, we all read that Jackson has been snubbed so far, do you really believe that won't get done at some point?

Wow...careful dealing in facts around here.

Edited by RichmondRob

This is a very valid post. I really wish we could hear what both sides have to say, and OBD isn't talking about contracts or what their plans are, so for now, it's all a one sided story.

PTR

HuH???

You undertand this is about RE-singing players, right?

It is a tough situation for the Bills. These players have not won games for them in the last 10 seasons. Expecting the Bills to throw huge money at them without them proving themselves is foolish, especially considering from where these players originated. They turned the corner in 1st 4 games of the 2nd half of the year only to disappoint in the final 4 games of the season. There just has been no consistency. They are also yet to defeat any of your powerhouses, the only close thing being the OT loss to Steelers (Kansas City is not a powerhouse). It is 2-0 and now we are playing a top echelon team in the Patriots. If you win this game and continue to be consistent, the players will definitely be taken care.

It is a very unique situation. After all, on the flip side if you think about this, the Bills have done a huge favor to this bunch of players by giving them an OPPORTUNITY to start in the NFL instead of being banished as 3rd stringers and ST players as normal 7th rounders are.

Fitzpatrick - 7th round draft pick, played as 3rd stringer for St. Louis and Cincinnati.

Jackson - Un-drafted, NFL Europe player

Johnson - 7th round draft choice

Bell - 7th round draft choice

Once the team starts showing the consistency, I believe most of these players will be taken care. It is a two-way street. The Bills have to show some faith in them and not send out a low-ball offer. The players also have to understand the opportunity they received from the Bills and not go for the sky. If the two sides can meet in between in a "team-concept" environment, they are likely to be successful in their signing of contracts and keeping these players for the long term, which provides continuity and which in turn will lead to consistent success. This is what the best teams like the Steelers and Patriots do. In the last decade, Hines Ward has never been the highest paid WR in the league in spite of being Super Bowl MVP, Tom Brady in the 1st half of his career was never the highest paid QB in the league. I don't think Todd Light received anywhere close to even matching the pay of the top 5 LTs in the game and yet he has protected the blind side of Brady for his entire career.

From the past history, the Bills have never low-balled anyone.

Pat Williams was not offered a contract because Greg Williams was arrogant and did not want FAT players.

London Fletcher left the Bills because Dick Jauron did not want him to play in his stupid cover-2 scheme and Marv drafted Poz for that position.

The Bills offered 9-10M per year for Jason Peters who really had one good season and Peters wanted to be the highest paid LT in the league. That is a one way negotiation. The Bills hands were tied. They did not want to give him 12M a year, because they did not believe he was the leagues best LT and there were very few LTs that actually were making 9-10M a year. It almost felt that Peters wanted to get out of Buffalo.

The Bills did not even get a chance to offer a contract to Poz, as his mind was really set in playing MLB in a 4-3 instead of the 3-4.

Donte Whitner was given a shot at a fair offer that was turned down by Whitner. And as the market proved, there were no takers for Whitner. Whitner did not show the commitment to be a buffalo bill, so why should the Bills be tortured for that.

The Bills have offered competitive money to their Punter and Kicker who have been their 2-best players in the last decade, showing once again that if you perform, you will be taken care.

End Rant.

It is a tough situation for the Bills. These players have not won games for them in the last 10 seasons. Expecting the Bills to throw huge money at them without them proving themselves is foolish, especially considering from where these players originated. They turned the corner in 1st 4 games of the 2nd half of the year only to disappoint in the final 4 games of the season. There just has been no consistency. They are also yet to defeat any of your powerhouses, the only close thing being the OT loss to Steelers (Kansas City is not a powerhouse). It is 2-0 and now we are playing a top echelon team in the Patriots. If you win this game and continue to be consistent, the players will definitely be taken care.

It is a very unique situation.

Honestly, if they play well, beat a few top half teams, and this(bolded) happens, I will be very happy indeed, but I will still hold my stance that it just made me sick to see them piss off Fred Jackson, a guy who has been nothing but a model of hard working, a leader, and a play maker for the last 3 years. That alone was a very classless thing to do.