Fitz = Kurt Warner

H2o

http://blogs.nfl.com...ner-of-himself/

That's some high praise IMO :thumbsup:

They are both no-names from no-name schools who got their shot through hard work and persistence so I can see where Warner would see a resemblence

They are both tough guys - Warner would put his shoulder down when he ran his first few years in the league, and throw blocks

As QBs, though, very different styles. The QB currently playing who reminds me most of Warner is Drew Brees.

Edited by Hopeful

He reminds me more of Brett Favre with his willingness to put the ball where most people wouldn't, and his gun slinger mentality. Also, like Brett Favre, he sort came out of nowhere as a castoff from another team.

Brett Favre was not a castoff. He was a highly touted QB who fell to the 2nd round because some teams were afraid of him medically due to an auto accident. He was a rookie who didn't play because his team had an established QB. Between the time he was drafted & the next draft, Ron Wolf, who when he was with the Jets ranked him as the best player in the 1991 draft and saw him picked 1 pick before the Jets 1st pick, which was in the 2nd round since they had used their #1 in the supplimental draft the year before, was hired as Green Bay's GM. With Favre not #1 on the depth chart in Atlanta, Wolf, now GM in GB, offered Atlanta Green Bay's 1st round pick and Favre was traded to GB for the 1st round pick 1 year after being selected in the 2nd round. A 2nd year player traded for a 1st round pick is not a castoff.

Also, the Jets tried desperatly to trade up around the end of the 1st round to get Favre, but couldn't find anyone willing to trade with them & ended up taking Browning Nagle 1 pick after Favre.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Not a criticism of Fitz, but I don't think he has quite the arm strengh that Warner had. But, as for their temperment, and their ability to "lead" a team, I like the comparison...two guys, grateful for an opportunity, and running with it, when nobody expected anything from them...

Well...maybe in terms of football.

Funny, heard Fitz say, somewhere "The NFL is one of the only places I know, where going to Harvard would be seen as a drawback" :lol:

Not a criticism of Fitz, but I don't think he has quite the arm strengh that Warner had. But, as for their temperment, and their ability to "lead" a team, I like the comparison...two guys, grateful for an opportunity, and running with it, when nobody expected anything from them...

Very true. Besides, Warner probably very much likes Fitzpatrick as a person/role model, and I would bet knows him from both living in Phoenix.

Very true. Besides, Warner probably very much likes Fitzpatrick as a person/role model, and I would bet knows him from both living in Phoenix.

Another thing that is sometimes overlooked, and is part of the leadership thing, both guys seem to go out of their way to be personable with all of their teammates, no matter what side of the ball they play, or where they are on the depth chart. And I don't get the sense, with either, it that kind of showy- Doug Flutie kind of "good teammate"...

It sounds kind of corny, but, it is important, IMO, that everyone, the offense and defense, believing in a guy, and feeling like they have somebody to rally around...Fitz has that quality...and enough talent to warrent it. I never got the feeling that Trent Edwards, or JP Losman before him, instilled that aura of confidence with their teammantes. With those two guys, they were high draft picks who didn't, ultimately produce, but their careers started with much higher expectations, so I would imagine, their relationship with their teammates was a little different...they were handed things they didn't earn, while Fitz earned his way into a job (or Trent earned his way out), little was expected of him, but he grabbed the opportunity, and just seems to have a connection with his coach, that we haven't seen in Buffalo for a while. Everyone seems to be on the same page. It really is refreshing.

Warner had that quality, and IMO, carried the Cardianls to a Super Bowl, on his back...without him, Larry Fitzgerald might just be another guy...lomg on potential, short on results.

Edited by Buftex

Don't get me wrong, I love the Fitzmagic and all the praise he is getting, but if/when he and the team fall back to earth, it is going to be hilarious reading some people bashing him when two games into the season they were comparing him to the legends of the game.

You know it's coming...

In terms of playing style, I see very little in common. Just for starters, Fitz is way more mobile than Warner ever was and Warner had twice the arm of Fitz. And then there's the whole Jesus thing with Warner...

I am far from a "Jesus freak", but that really has nothing to do with anything...in terms of football.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Fitzmagic and all the praise he is getting, but if/when he and the team fall back to earth, it is going to be hilarious reading some people bashing him when two games into the season they were comparing him to the legends of the game.

You know it's coming...

Actually, I would say that Fitz has been very impressive for more than two games...he showed steady improvement all of last year, and has continued into this season...but keep in mind, it is one of the "legends of the game" who made the comparison, if you read the linked article:

“I love the way (Fitzpatrick) is playing right now. He reminds me a lot of me,” Warner told “Around the League” Wednesday. “He’s a gunslinger, he’s a guy who attacks you, throws the ball down the field. Unfortunately, I think there’s going to be times this year where he takes a few too many chances and has one of those games with three or four interceptions. But right now, he’s making all the plays for this team. He’s been extremely impressive and exactly what that young team needs.”

Really good interview by Fred Jackson on GR this morning which can be heard here...

http://wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5482628

Fred said that on the last drive, Fitz was changing the plays as they were called, telling teammates to run different routes than the play called for, because he knew their strengths and what was going to work. People really don't give him enough credit for his football smarts, and his lightning quick reading of the defenses, pre and post snap, forget the Harvard nonsense. The leadership angle is huge. As is his knowledge of the offense in year two under Gailey.

FWIW, Fred is very "annoyed". ;)

Really good interview by Fred Jackson on GR this morning which can be heard here...

http://wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5482628

Fred said that on the last drive, Fitz was changing the plays as they were called, telling teammates to run different routes than the play called for, because he knew their strengths and what was going to work. People really don't give him enough credit for his football smarts, and his lightning quick reading of the defenses, pre and post snap, forget the Harvard nonsense. The leadership angle is huge. As is his knowledge of the offense in year two under Gailey.

FWIW, Fred is very "annoyed". ;)

These are the things that continue to impress YE OLE more and more. QB's don't make it in this league without being able to read defense, and the ones who are great at reading defense tend to be great QB's. Fitz, while he isn't Peyton Manning, does have some physical tools, but he is very good at reading defense. Look how long Chad Pennington remained a decent QB in this league, despite a poor arm. YE OLE has been on the Fitz bandwagon, and I'm excited to see where it goes this year. Hearing Fred say this is even more exciting.

He reminds me more of Brett Favre with his willingness to put the ball where most people wouldn't, and his gun slinger mentality. Also, like Brett Favre, he sort came out of nowhere as a castoff from another team.

Brett Favre was not a castoff. He was a highly touted QB who fell to the 2nd round because some teams were afraid of him medically due to an auto accident. He was a rookie who didn't play because his team had an established QB. Between the time he was drafted & the next draft, Ron Wolf, who when he was with the Jets ranked him as the best player in the 1991 draft and saw him picked 1 pick before the Jets 1st pick, which was in the 2nd round since they had used their #1 in the supplimental draft the year before, was hired as Green Bay's GM. With Favre not #1 on the depth chart in Atlanta, Wolf, now GM in GB, offered Atlanta Green Bay's 1st round pick and Favre was traded to GB for the 1st round pick 1 year after being selected in the 2nd round. A 2nd year player traded for a 1st round pick is not a castoff.

Also, the Jets tried desperatly to trade up around the end of the 1st round to get Favre, but couldn't find anyone willing to trade with them & ended up taking Browning Nagle 1 pick after Favre.

haha, p'wned. It's worth noting that the car accident gave Favre a necrotic hip (i.e. bone death), meaning that he was due to have it replaced, oh, sometime in the late 90's. IIRC, Wolf had to either lie or disguise the physical results in order to get Favre into GB.

You know it's coming...

I would love to jump on you for being pessimistic, but in reality, we all remember starting 4-0 a few years ago. The fear of crashing back to Earth has become part of Bills fan DNA over the last decade. It is a weird feeling for me to be excited about this team's start and yet i still keep looking around and waiting for it to all fall apart lol.

Edited by Van_phelaN1