Jackson annoyed by contract

Beerball

He's a captain and I don't think he acted like one. Would you be ok if Fitz did the same thing? He's in a similar situation. I'd be appalled.

LOL. Have you ever read an article about Fred Jackson? His teammates love his effort and unselfishness.

THAT is what a captaincy is about, not remaining absolutely silent when you're getting screwed.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the players bonded further around Jackson's contract situation in a "we got your back" and "us against the world" fashion.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The contract extensions and raises for anyone on this team right now are difficult to get right. When the Panthers spent all that money on re-signing their own players, I couldn't help but think how strange it was to keep guys who allowed the team to be so terrible last year. I know it doesn't fall on any one player, but still, the concept is there.

For the Bills, are we sure about Freddy? Have we really been in a position to take control of the clock by running the ball? Do opposing teams gameplan against him? I know he's been getting his yards the past few games, but on how many carries? Is he a 25 touch back?

This is nothing against Freddie. I feel the same way about The Amish Rifle and Stevie. I love all three of them and hope they are the answer. But like we felt about Trent and Jauron after that awesome start and great finish to the previous season, we still don't know what we need to. And we can't afford to be wrong with contracts. Yes we have money, but we have to spend it in the right place. Personally, regardless of record, if these guys can keep doing what they do for at least half the season, then pay them. But even then, I'm not breaking any banks. I'm looking to give Fitz and Stevie around 5-6 mil a year for 4-5 years and Freddy a 3 year, 12 million contract.

However, if they beat the Pats on Sunday, extend them during the post-game conference and write a blank check.

Would you be ok if Fitz did the same thing? He's in a similar situation. I'd be appalled.

First thing I'd mention is that as far as we know, Fred isn't being a disruption/distraction and from the comments of other players, they seem very supportive of his "quest."

So no… I wouldn't be disturbed if Fitz acted similarly… but the thing is they're talking extension with Fitz and not with Fred.

But to your scenario, most of my reaction is based on what I perceive to be the differences between a quarterback and a running back.

Quarterbacks, especially "franchise" or aspiring franchise QBs are held to a different standard of conduct than are other players. If viewed in the context of CBA and Labor/Management dynamics, a QB is somewhere in between the two.

He's expected to be the first person in the building and the last to leave. He's supposed to organize team activities during a lockout. A quarterback is often the face and voice of the organization… the quarterback always addresses the media after games, on Mondays, and on Wednesdays. The quarterback is expected to spend extra time watching video and to stay after practice to get in extra work with the receivers. No other position on the football team is as close to a management position as is quarterback.

Running backs are different IMO.

While QB is a physically demanding position, likely no position in football endures the abuse that a running back does. As a person who performs physical labor for a living, I view every time I climb a ladder or pick up a heavy object as one less time my body will be able to do that. I think all running backs view their career mortality more acutely than players at other positions. I'm sure Fred hears the clock ticking. Running backs are laborers.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fitz will be in the league for many more years than Fred and he's younger to begin with.

It's an interesting comparison though.

Jackson is playing under a 4-year, $7.5 million contract signed in 2009. He has 2 years left on his deal. Fred has outplayed his contract since before he even signed it. He was a rookie with the Bills in 2006 (same year as Marshawn) and in every year they played together, Fred had the higher yards per carry and yards per reception. It was clear to many (certainly to me) even back then that he was the best RB on the team.

Fred has been consistently underpaid and because of his RFA status and (misguided) backup status, he had zero leverage when signing his last deal.

Fitz signed a 3-year, $6.9 million contract signed in 2009 to be a backup. Fitz has 1 year left.

Both Fitz and Fred ascended to starting jobs during the course of 2010 after many earlier indications that they were better than the player they were backing up.

Hopefully we lock up both those guys and Stevie very soon.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Thank you, Wayne. We're actually getting somewhere.

It's not clear what message Fred and his agent got from the Bills.

There are 3 possible scenarios:

1) The Bills told Jackson that Fitz and Stevie come first and that when they are extended, that he's next in line. IF this is the case, then the Bills have some ground to stand on.

2) The Bills gave Fred a flat out NO. IF so, Jackson has legit reason for being angry/annoyed.

3) The 3rd (but much more remote) possibility is that the Bills lowballed Jackson.

I honestly hope its choice #1. I mean they did also have to look at Kyle Williams as well and thats the only deal thats gotten done so far. The Bills have/had A LOT on their plate in terms of resigning and decisions to make. Unfortunately Freddie is on the back end of that list. I just hope he and his agent understand this. To me, HE is important to the Bills and I hope he understands how important it is to resign these other players. Without them, this team could fall flat on its face.

1) The Bills told Jackson that Fitz and Stevie come first and that when they are extended, that he's next in line. IF this is the case, then the Bills have some ground to stand on.

This is the likely scenario. Fred's agent is going to be against that because the Bills caps space if like to be cut in half or more after those deals get done. Fred probably also wanted a raise 'this' season which I'd imagine is unlikely to happen.

What's amusing is that people are all about paying Fitz, Freddie and Stevie, but will rant and rave about all that cap space. By the time fitz, stevie and fred are paid...a lot of that cap space will be gone, gone, gone.

Good thing we didn't sign every over the hill free agent that's out there.

Edited by jeremy2020

Shut your potty mouth. Don't put words in my mouth and insunuate you know my thoughs by what I typed. I just want him to shut up and play period. No "good soldier" complains about not getting the start in preseason and then when the team is 2-0 starts complaining about his contract.

I think he's worth more money, I think NFL contracts are one sided in favor of the teams, and I still think he needs to shut up.

He's a 30 year old running back with 25 year old tread on him. I'm annoyed he's acting like a 25 year old when he's 30. He's quoted as saying he's not letting the off field stuff effect what he needs to do on the field. Well guess what Jackson, you're distracting me from enjoying a 2-0 start. Shut up and play.

Ya gotta understand that the avg lifespan of an NFL player is 3 short years. The guy has been the best RB on the team for awhile now, they draft a kid in the first round and Jackson made him look like a bum. If he doesn't take a stand for what he feels he is worth, then who will?

Go watch that Raider game again and watch Jackson lead block for Spiller, not many other RB's in the league would say ok to that play and go out and be the fullback. This man is a rare and special talent, he might not have the speed of Chris Johnson but he certainly has better moves and is able to break arm tackles and make plays that first round draft picks like Lynch and McGahee couldn't make. The Bills are taking a big gamble by not paying him what he is worth as they have nobody behind him anywhere near his talent level.

RB's take a brutal pounding each week and arguably have the toughest job in the NFL, its why most team are going with 2 RB's instead of one back now. (see the second sentence) He is a team leader and inspirational leader as the team rallied behind him Sunday after that long TD run that sparked that great comeback.

I have no problem with him voicing his concerns over what he is currently being paid... In two years when his career is over will the Bills give him more money then.... or simply cut him and say buh bye!

The Buffalo Bills are in the business of making money and Fred Jackson is in the business of making money. The team uses and has used its leverage in the situation to pay him the least they can; Fred is interested in building his leverage to force the team to pay him the most they can. I don't really see either side's financial interest as morally superior - it's a business, I expect both sides to pursue their financial goals.

I'm getting a little annoyed at hearing how annoyed Fred is all the time. Seriously!

Shut your mouth and play.

Say you show up for work at the dump this morning, and you find out that there are people there that aren't as good as you at making sure all the garbage is removed from my truck bed. Imagine at this point you find out that they make twice what you make, when you are clearly the better trash collector. You'd be angry too. Don't be angry at Fred for making more than you. Envy shines through on these boards worse than most people see.

For the Bills, are we sure about Freddy? Have we really been in a position to take control of the clock by running the ball? Do opposing teams gameplan against him? I know he's been getting his yards the past few games, but on how many carries? Is he a 25 touch back?

Are the Bills a 25-runningplays-a-game team? If the Bills aren't, that's not on Freddie.

So far (Week 2), no one is a 25 touch a game back, including traditionally run-first teams like Oak (McFadden has 42)

This is nothing against Freddie. I feel the same way about The Amish Rifle and Stevie. I love all three of them and hope they are the answer. But like we felt about Trent and Jauron after that awesome start and great finish to the previous season, we still don't know what we need to. And we can't afford to be wrong with contracts.

And here I think, you've got something. After the Jauron debacle, I think the Bills are literally afraid to put too much money in early-season performance.

However, if they beat the Pats on Sunday, extend them during the post-game conference and write a blank check.

:thumbsup:

Outside looking in at Jackson he is a true testiment of a Buffalo Bill. Thurman was passed up because of a knee, Jackson was overlooked because of his college. Jackson does it all. Is he the best at his position? That is debatable since Jackson is a very complete back. He might not put up the best numbers, but he does it all well very good. I rather take a back like Jackson over Spiller any day since Jackson, can pass protect, run with power and speed, and can catch a ball out of the backfield. He in my book is one of the very best running backs Buffalo has had. If he and Thurman were together back in the day that would have been the scariest backfield in football history in my book. Buffalo wont pay him because they want production without pay. It would be a shame if the Bills didn't pay him a few million a year and keep him.

Pay the guy. At 30, given his lack of play, he is in his prime.

guess you missed the contract he signed not too long ago and is in the middle of...they already paid the guy

there is no rush and they have to resign Fitz and Johnson so Jackson can wait

guess you missed the contract he signed not too long ago and is in the middle of...they already paid the guy

there is no rush and they have to resign Fitz and Johnson so Jackson can wait

Or the fact that at 30 its risky business to pay a RB. Its not just about the carries or mileage folks, he's 30 and his body is different than when he was younger. RBs dont have the shelf life.

Ya gotta understand that the avg lifespan of an NFL player is 3 short years.

I think people should stop using stats like this to prove points. The reason the average lifespan of an NFL player is so short is because so many sucky players last one or two years. The average lifespan of good to great NFL players is like 10-12 years. Good to great running backs 9-10, on average.

Granted, the last couple three years for those RBs they are usually on the decline, sometimes quickly. But good RBs usually play 7-8 very good years.

Just look at the top, say, 100.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

The Bills should do something to reward Fred more but he will NEVER get from them what he thinks he's worth. It's definitely his age working against him. Also, look at Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams. They just got huge contracts and they are both struggling badly. Javon Ringer and James Stewart are the better RB's on their respective teams right now. RB is that one position where a guy can come out of nowhere and be good.

Pay him and show the rest of the NFL that Buffalo is a good place to play to help attract FA's and give the man his rightful due

i didnt realize they were treating him so bad...they only gave him a shot in the NFL as well as a new contract not too long ago

i never understand why people get so concerned about player contracts...he signed a new deal a few years ago and if he continues to play well will get paid accordingly...there is no reason to give him a new deal now after 2 games

the Bills have other more important contracts to get done

David Nelson:

"The thing that impresses me so much about Fred is his yards after the contact. He's not letting one guy bring him down. He's running through tackles. He's getting extra yards. He's fighting for the first down, and that motivates the team. When you see a guy like that just running through tackles and running through defenders and taking it upon himself, that gets guys jacked up. That motivates our entire team and gets us going. Fred Jackson's our leader. I love that guy to death. I'm so excited for him and so happy with what he's done so far."

Pay the man.

BTW, very good, brief Q&A with Nelson from ESPN. I like when he says the game hasn't slowed down for him, he is playing faster, because he's more experienced. A very smart dude.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/31725/afc-east-qa-bills-wr-david-nelson