Bills Viewing Help Needed

IQ

Folks,

I'm presented with the ultimate Bills viewing conflict. My friend (non sports fan) is having his wedding reception at noon in NYC this Sunday! I'm a DirecTV subscriber with the mobile To Go package. I also have a laptop with 4G (sprint) and a phone with 4G. No wifi in the wedding hall. 4G probably won't work.

My fall back is to watch the game on 3G on my phone with a pair of headphones during the wedding (suboptimal solution). Anyone have any other ideas? I don't have a slingbox (although I may go and buy one if I can't come up with another solution).

Is there a way to watch the game immediately after its over online? I can probably pull off not knowing or hearing the score for a few hours and then watch the game immediately afterwards but I'm not sure when the replays are available.

Any help appreciated. I can't believe I've avoided this type of situation for 15 years (I've done the TIVO delay many times and never found out the results ahead of time).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

I'm presented with the ultimate Bills viewing conflict. My friend (non sports fan) is having his wedding reception at noon in NYC this Sunday! I'm a DirecTV subscriber with the mobile To Go package. I also have a laptop with 4G (sprint) and a phone with 4G. No wifi in the wedding hall. 4G probably won't work.

My fall back is to watch the game on 3G on my phone with a pair of headphones during the wedding (suboptimal solution). Anyone have any other ideas? I don't have a slingbox (although I may go and buy one if I can't come up with another solution).

Is there a way to watch the game immediately after its over online? I can probably pull off not knowing or hearing the score for a few hours and then watch the game immediately afterwards but I'm not sure when the replays are available.

Any help appreciated. I can't believe I've avoided this type of situation for 15 years (I've done the TIVO delay many times and never found out the results ahead of time).

If you can't test Sprint 4G coverage in advance at the exact location, type in the zip code on this coverage map and drill down for a rough idea of what Sprint says you'll get:

http://ria.sprint.com/ria/pages/index.jsp?ms=4G#!/advantage/network/

But keep in mind that actual reception may not match the map:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/337026?tstart=0

Dude, do not watch the game during your friend's wedding. I know you love the Bills, but one game is not worth losing a friend over. And since you said he is not a sports fan, he won't relate... so he will never forgive you.

That's what DVR is for...

"One game?" If we knock off the pats Sunday to officially turn the franchise around and RFA misses it he will bever forgive his friend. There's no reason RFA can't go to the wedding and watch the game. The friend will be too busy to notice anyway. I would definitely go in with at least two technologies. Keep and eye on the TV map. This game will get a lot of airplay so you may be able to watch it on a portable digital antenna TV. They go for $30 on line but if its too late you'll have to buy it at radio shack for $60.

I live out of town and sports for my kids keeps me away from the TV on Sunday afternoons. So, I subscribe to NFL Rewind. You can watch the game in it's entirety in Full HD on your computer after the last game is played on Sunday. I can't watch live anyway, so this is a great solution for me.

Suck it up. If your friend is really your friend, then why would you disrespect him like that? Or, is he not your friend and are you just mooching free food and drink? Besides, why do you want to put yourself through a hassle just to witness another Brady beatdown?

If a football game is more important than your friends wedding, then he isn't really your friend. Skip the wedding, or DVR it. If someone disrespected me and my wifes day watching a football game, real friends of mine would have you removed, or at least your phone would be in little pieces. Luckily that wasn't a possiblity 17 years ago. Don't be known as "that guy".

finally, and most important, you aren't getting any wedding side action watching football. Just Saying.

Folks,

My fall back is to watch the game on 3G on my phone with a pair of headphones during the wedding (suboptimal solution). Anyone have any other ideas?

Either or, not both. Either decline your friend's wedding invitation, stay home and watch the game. Or Be There for your friend body and mind. Don't be a tool and attend the wedding with headphones and a phone streaming the game. That's Lukewarm. Be either hot or cold.

Now if it were a Bills playoff appearance, I could see your dilemma :devil:

I think there are apps that can capture a video feed for later playback. Google around.

I'm not a DirecTV subscriber - can't you record the game off that and playback later, as well?

I live out of town and sports for my kids keeps me away from the TV on Sunday afternoons. So, I subscribe to NFL Rewind. You can watch the game in it's entirety in Full HD on your computer after the last game is played on Sunday. I can't watch live anyway, so this is a great solution for me.

AND...they are offering a free trial until the end of Sept as I recall!

If a football game is more important than your friends wedding, then he isn't really your friend. Skip the wedding, or DVR it. If someone disrespected me and my wifes day watching a football game, real friends of mine would have you removed, or at least your phone would be in little pieces. Luckily that wasn't a possiblity 17 years ago. Don't be known as "that guy".

I wasn't gonna mention it, but yeah....the possibility of damage to your phone should def. be considered.

Edited by Hopeful

What time is the wedding?

If you have "To Go" doesn't that offer a to-go DVR service? And if that's the case, can't you just pitch your lap top somewhere in an annex room near the RECEPTION hall.

There will be a good 40 mins to an hour between service and reception for the wedding party to take pictures. That's the time when wedding guests awkwardly work up a buzz while nibbling on cheese, so to excuse yourself from that wouldn't even fall on the radar.

Life is not a beer commercial. Rocking head phones and watching a football game at a friend's wedding is completely unacceptable, home boy.

What time is the wedding?

If you have "To Go" doesn't that offer a to-go DVR service? And if that's the case, can't you just pitch your lap top somewhere in an annex room near the RECEPTION hall.

There will be a good 40 mins to an hour between service and reception for the wedding party to take pictures. That's the time when wedding guests awkwardly work up a buzz while nibbling on cheese, so to excuse yourself from that wouldn't even fall on the radar.

Life is not a beer commercial. Rocking head phones and watching a football game at a friend's wedding is completely unacceptable, home boy.

Hahaha I got the funniest picture of someone at my wedding wearing head phones watching a game. I think I would have laughed my balls off if I saw that. You are right though if the wedding is at 12 I can't imagine the reception starts until 4 or 5. If it starts at 4 you have a solid 30 to 45 minutes leeway until food is actually served/buffet opened. I think you have a nice little window of time to get to a bar and watch the game.

- Side note

My buddy got married during wild card weekend last year and I talked him into getting a big screen put into the ballroom with the game on. He did that and everyone loved it.

Edited by cmjoyce113

"One game?" If we knock off the pats Sunday to officially turn the franchise around and RFA misses it he will bever forgive his friend. There's no reason RFA can't go to the wedding and watch the game. The friend will be too busy to notice anyway. I would definitely go in with at least two technologies. Keep and eye on the TV map. This game will get a lot of airplay so you may be able to watch it on a portable digital antenna TV. They go for $30 on line but if its too late you'll have to buy it at radio shack for $60.

unless he is the best man :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A real man would never have planned his wedding for a Sunday afternoon during football season. Looks like he's already lost his balls to the soon-to-be wife and you won't be seeing him much after the wedding anyway, so just stay home and watch the game. Tell him his marriage has a 50-50 chance of making it but the Bills are forever. If he's a real friend, he'll understand.

DIRECTV had trouble this past week communicating with any Android phone. But you can watch the games online with the $9.99 package. In saying that the games are automatically taped, so for example you can click play now on any particular game and you watch it from the start. It's not like it's watch it live online or you lose footage. You can watch it at 8PM from the start.

Dude, do not watch the game during your friend's wedding. I know you love the Bills, but one game is not worth losing a friend over. And since you said he is not a sports fan, he won't relate... so he will never forgive you.

That's what DVR is for...

This + one million times. Its a freaking football game for christs sake. :rolleyes:

DVR it and watch it later or the next day.