Great Sully Column

bladiebla

At half time, I told a gloating Raider fan sitting in front of me that the Bills will win it. There wasn't the usual "we suck" attitude. We knew it could happen. Fitz and Freddie were awesome!

Fitz actually said in his presser that the fans remaining in their seats really helped the team turn it around, as it enforced their believe they could still win it.

I think the Phil Hansen WOF ceremony at halftime helped with keeping folks in their seats. Seriously. A lot of "old timers" would probably have left but wanted to see a warrior like Hansen get his due. Then, with the quick start (Freddy's TD) it was "game on."

Agreed on Sully's editorial. Nice piece.

At half time, I told a gloating Raider fan sitting in front of me that the Bills will win it. There wasn't the usual "we suck" attitude. We knew it could happen. Fitz and Freddie were awesome!

Hmmm.....maybe there's something to this 'get rid of a lot of vets and let the younger guys play' madness enacted by the FO.

In reference to Freddy: I saw Kellen Heard singing along to the Shout song too. Awesome opener!

And also, Great writeup Sully. You are one of my favs. Whether good or bad, you call em as you see em.

Edited by r00tabaga

Fitz actually said in his presser that the fans remaining in their seats really helped the team turn it around, as it enforced their believe they could still win it.

When it was 14-0, I was at home in Maryland texting my son in college and told him the Bills were still going to beat these chumps by 10.

At the half I just said - weird game - don't understand how we're losing, it seems like we are beating them at most positions on most plays. It just didn't look like we had match-up problems anywhere - the Raiders were just catching every possible break - plus that Moore kid was amazing.

Hmmm.....maybe there's something to this 'get rid of a lot of vets and let the younger guys play' madness enacted by the FO.

There is a method to their madness though.

Gailey wanted to get bigger and tougher all around.

On O, they needed to get bigger and stronger in the middle, so they move Wood to C and bring in a couple of maulers like Urbik and Reinhart (to compete with Levitre). At WR, their game is mainly short passing, so you need guys who can separate quickly and aren't afraid to go over the middle. This philosophy meant Hangartner and Evans were expendable.

Other than those two, who else would you put in your category "a lot of vets"? Shirley, you wouldn't count Stroud?

Edited by TPS