Can't help thinking about week #3

JESSEFEFFER

While the coaches and players play them one at a time, we as fans don't have to think that way. At least not me. The Bills have a real chance in this game because:

1) The Patriots defense was nothing special last year. Somewhat protected by the strength of their offense and living off takeaways, they can be had as the Dolphins showed once again.

2) Crowd noise. The Ralph has never really rocked like Rich did. It's all because the defense has largely not been able to exploit it. The volume typically elevates on 3rd and long in an effort to create an extra advantage for the defense. When there is no pressure generated and the 3rd gets converted the crowd quickly learns that they can't affect the outcome.

3) The defensive front 7 has been revamped and it is now in a position to exploit the noise advantage.

4) Pressure up the middle is the most important. Make T.B. hold the ball and give him no space to step up. He can look very average when consistently pressured (see XLII.) Williams, Johnson, Dareus, whomever. Let him see the pressure and make him alter his throws because of it.

5) Dan Koppen, their starting center, broke his ankle against the Dolphins. The pressure up the middle approach becomes more viable.

In their second meeting last year, there was nothing more frustrating than watching Brady stand in the pocket without any concern for the pressure. It was a constant 7 on 7 drill. Not that they threw it that much given the short fields and poor run defense. In their first meeting, they really had trouble with Kyle Williams but they made a project out of holding him w/o drawing a flag.

Being 3 and 0 and having just beaten the Patriots would energize the Bills' fan base like nothing else has in the new millenium. The rest of the NFL world couldn't help but notice.

It won't mean diddly if we lose to the Raiders. Stay focused on the job at hand.

PTR

Beating the Pats for the first time in 7 years will be meaningless if we lose to the Raiders? Are you kidding me? I agree with the OP on this, the team has to take it one game at a time, the fans don't. Even if we lose to the Raiders, a dominating road win over a playoff team from last year and a win over a division rival who is a consensus pick among the media experts to be a top 3 team will be huge. If the Bills knock off the Pats,it will give the team a huge confidence boost and people will start to take notice, even if the Raiders beat them 100-0.

That said, I'm not overlooking the Raiders and their d-line and running game have me a little nervous, but I still fully expect the Bills to win this week. GO BILLS!

Edited by Chandemonium

While the coaches and players play them one at a time, we as fans don't have to think that way. At least not me. The Bills have a real chance in this game because:

1) The Patriots defense was nothing special last year. Somewhat protected by the strength of their offense and living off takeaways, they can be had as the Dolphins showed once again.

2) Crowd noise. The Ralph has never really rocked like Rich did. It's all because the defense has largely not been able to exploit it. The volume typically elevates on 3rd and long in an effort to create an extra advantage for the defense. When there is no pressure generated and the 3rd gets converted the crowd quickly learns that they can't affect the outcome.

3) The defensive front 7 has been revamped and it is now in a position to exploit the noise advantage.

4) Pressure up the middle is the most important. Make T.B. hold the ball and give him no space to step up. He can look very average when consistently pressured (see XLII.) Williams, Johnson, Dareus, whomever. Let him see the pressure and make him alter his throws because of it.

5) Dan Koppen, their starting center, broke his ankle against the Dolphins. The pressure up the middle approach becomes more viable.

In their second meeting last year, there was nothing more frustrating than watching Brady stand in the pocket without any concern for the pressure. It was a constant 7 on 7 drill. Not that they threw it that much given the short fields and poor run defense. In their first meeting, they really had trouble with Kyle Williams but they made a project out of holding him w/o drawing a flag.

Being 3 and 0 and having just beaten the Patriots would energize the Bills' fan base like nothing else has in the new millenium. The rest of the NFL world couldn't help but notice.

Bills 30

Pats 13

Brady breaks leg out for season

Bingo.

If we don't beat the Raiders, we have no chance at beating the Patriots or being a contender this year. No offense to the Raiders, by that.

I'm sorry, but that's a loser mentality. Every team has bad games and loses some (except the '72 Dolphins). Sometimes, good teams even lose to bad ones (See Patriots vs Browns, 2010). I expect the Bills to win this week, but even if they don't I don't expect them to fold up like a cheap tent and get in the fetal position in preparation for their beating from the Pats. Win, lose, or draw this week, I expect the Bills to give the Pats a hell of a game next week, and wouldn't be at all surprised if they beat them.

I'm sorry, but that's a loser mentality. Every team has bad games and loses some (except the '72 Dolphins). Sometimes, good teams even lose to bad ones (See Patriots vs Browns, 2010). I expect the Bills to win this week, but even if they don't I don't expect them to fold up like a cheap tent and get in the fetal position in preparation for their beating from the Pats. Win, lose, or draw this week, I expect the Bills to give the Pats a hell of a game next week, and wouldn't be at all surprised if they beat them.

It's also not a good idea to look past opponents. They will have that much more confidence going into the Pats game if they take care of business against the Raiders. Besides we need the national media to say the only reason the Bills are 2-0 is because the Chiefs and Raiders suck. Our guys thrive on disrespect.

PTR

It's also not a good idea to look past opponents. They will have that much more confidence going into the Pats game if they take care of business against the Raiders. Besides we need the national media to say the only reason the Bills are 2-0 is because the Chiefs and Raiders suck. Our guys thrive on disrespect.

PTR

Again, I'm not looking past anybody, but even if I was that'd be ok because I'm not on the team. I'm also not saying a win this week won't help the team's confidence and momentum going into the week 3 showdown with the Pats, because I think it will. All I'm saying is beating the Raiders is not a prerequisite for beating the Pats, and losing to the Raiders would not make a win against the Pats meaningless.

We're not the players. We're not the coaches.

Stop with these posts telling fans of the team, who have nothing to do with the preparation of the team itself, what to think about.

I think if Merriman is 100% by that game and we have an edge rush to go ALONG with K-Weezy and Dareus in the middle it gives us a better chance. I agree that the Patriots'* defense can be had. Fitz needs to have a game of a lifetime. No turnovers!

You're right, the Ralph will be ROCKIN' that day. You never know...

Edited by Big Bad Boone

They have to not allow Brady's receivers to get open. He kills teams that blitz him. If they stick with 3-4, it's all on Williams. They went to a 4-3 when Merriman went out then stuck with it even after he returned. Barnett was playing the other outside position. You have to contain those TEs and Welker. The other WR has done little since they got rid of Moss.

We had a great showing last weekend a team that wasn't ready to play. Let's see how we do against the Raiders before we worry about the Pats. You never know what could happen between now and then...

Not really relevant what happens between now and then. Even if we lose to Oakland, we STILL play the Patriots* afterward. That's how schedules work. :P