89 members have voted

1. 1. Rank these quarterbacks purely in terms of arm strength

• Fitz - Edwards - Flutie
    • Fitz - Flutie - Edwards
    • Flutie - Fitz - Edwards
    • Flutie - Edwards - Fitz
    • Edwards - Fitz - Flutie
    • Edwards - Flutie - Fitz

Help settle a debate between myself and my family.

My dad and brother seem to think Fitzpatrick has the least arm strength of the three, and that Flutie was the strongest. Am I out of my mind for thinking it's Fitz-Edwards-Flutie (exactly the opposite)?

Edwards' arm (no pun intended to the poster with said handle!) to my memory was just strong enough to make all the throws an NFL passer needs to make, with Fitz' arm being just a bit stronger. Flutie I thought was the least strong of the three-- I remember a lot of his "deep" balls being fade routes to Moulds that would only travel 20-25 yards in the air. I don't think either Flutie or Edwards could have made the throw Fitz made last year against Pittsburgh that Stevie ultimately dropped.

Mostly irrelevant to how good a quarterback these guys are overall, just would really like to know what you think purely about their arm strength. Please base it on where their arm strength was at the time that they were members of the Bills (not at Boston College, for example).

GO BILLS!

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Let's face it if your debating arm strength Edwards should not even be mentioned. There is a reason TO's catch a game streak was ruined and a reason why the kid didn't even make the raiders squad. All of his deep balls are floaters may as well be a punts. You wanna talk arm strength and you leave out JP? didn't have much else but he could throw it deep and cut through the winds in Buffalo (see bills 21 Miami 0 12/17/06)....Go Bills

What is the point? They are probably the 3 weakest arms in Bills history, but that doesn't mean they are the three worst QBs (Edwards maybe). All Flutie did was win, and it wasn't because he had a cannon for an arm, although look at the BC comeback game and his arm gets the job done. I would still take Flutie over the other two a million times in a row. There was a reason why he was called "The Magic Man".

What is the point? They are probably the 3 weakest arms in Bills history, but that doesn't mean they are the three worst QBs (Edwards maybe). All Flutie did was win, and it wasn't because he had a cannon for an arm, although look at the BC comeback game and his arm gets the job done. I would still take Flutie over the other two a million times in a row. There was a reason why he was called "The Magic Man".

If all he did was win, allot more people would have liked him. Mostly all he did was campain for himself, and alienate his teammates.

If all he did was win, allot more people would have liked him. Mostly all he did was campain for himself, and alienate his teammates.

:thumbsup:

Typical Flutie postgame presser: "Well, after I threw that touchdown pass, we fumbled."

Anyway, arm strength... Flutie had a rag arm, at least when he was here. People mostly remember that heave against BC. I choose to remember the floater with which he hung Thurman out to dry and ended his career. He had the least arm strength of the three. Edwards may not have had the obviously stronger arm, but he had by far the quickest release of the three. That's why I ranked them Edwards-Fitz-Flutie. But ask me who I'd rather have behind center? Fitz, any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I remember Gailey was asked last year who had the strongest arm of the quarterbacks on the roster, and he said Edwards. When asked who had the second strongest arm, he said "I think I have the second strongest arm on the team." I don't think Edwards failed because of a weak arm.

My guess is Edwards, Fitz, Flutie.

JP isn't a part of it because we all know he's stronger than these three. Notice Jim Kelly is similarly absent :D

Got it, thought it was a post Kelly debate then again Drew would have been in there...um I voted if that helps haha

Fitz's arm strength I know isn't stellar (has arc and takes big wind-ups)- though I have trouble placing it in any categories of arm strength because he still manages all of the throws. Edwards actually had a pretty strong arm but refused to throw down field. Flutie easily had the weakest arm.

Edwards-Fitz-Flutie

Flutie had the weakest arm by a long stretch. Everything over 15 or so yards was a floater. Fitz actually has some zip. I think his arm is probably stronger than Edwards, but its close. Fitz-Edwards-Flutie

This is true.

However, let's not forget that we signed Flutie when he was 35, I think it is safe to say that his arm strength was on the decline.

Help settle a debate between myself and my family.

My dad and brother seem to think Fitzpatrick has the least arm strength of the three, and that Flutie was the strongest. Am I out of my mind for thinking it's Fitz-Edwards-Flutie (exactly the opposite)?

Edwards' arm (no pun intended to the poster with said handle!) to my memory was just strong enough to make all the throws an NFL passer needs to make, with Fitz' arm being just a bit stronger. Flutie I thought was the least strong of the three-- I remember a lot of his "deep" balls being fade routes to Moulds that would only travel 20-25 yards in the air. I don't think either Flutie or Edwards could have made the throw Fitz made last year against Pittsburgh that Stevie ultimately dropped.

Mostly irrelevant to how good a quarterback these guys are overall, just would really like to know what you think purely about their arm strength. Please base it on where their arm strength was at the time that they were members of the Bills (not at Boston College, for example).

GO BILLS!

Edwards would occasionally throw a very good long ball. I remember one preseason he threw an excellent deep ball to Scott Mayle, only to have the pass dropped. I'll grant Edwards didn't do this very often, and that his preference was to check down to RBs. But he threw enough deep passes to prove his arm strength wasn't that bad. His physical attributes were probably part of the reason why Gailey initially gave him the starting nod over Fitz.

I feel Flutie had the weakest arm of the three. He played well in 1998. But in 1999, defenses learned that when you play Flutie, you're supposed to take away the short stuff and dare him to beat you deep. I don't think the problem there was an unwillingness to throw it deep, as would later be the case with Edwards. I think that he couldn't throw it deep due to lack of arm strength.

I therefore voted Edwards-Fitz-Flutie.

The best arm I saw was Bledsoe's- he really has a nice throw. It is too bad his pocket presence deteriorated precipitously while in Buffalo.

Bledsoe

Kelly

Fitzpatrick

Flutie

Reich

Losman

Edwards

Collins

Johnson

Hobert

Reich stonger arm than RJ? RJ is in the top 3, and Reich is in the bottom 3 on this list. The thing about Fitz is that he CONSISTENTLY shows the deep ball. Not all that accurate but he's smart enough not to throw it up for grabs and Nix has given him physical receivers who will battle for the ball when it comes in off target.

Arm strength in the NFL is very overrated. How many guys with cannons have washed out? It is all about pre-snap adjustments, finding the best matchups, and placing the ball in the right place. That's how someone like Fitz can have success because he is great at all those things.

But to answer your question:

1) Edwards = I think by a long shot. Trent had a very strong arm. He was just scared to use it.

2) Fitz

3) Flutie - He often made plays by running around and having receivers get open. Brokne plays.

Arm strength in the NFL is very overrated. How many guys with cannons have washed out? It is all about pre-snap adjustments, finding the best matchups, and placing the ball in the right place. That's how someone like Fitz can have success because he is great at all those things.

But to answer your question:

1) Edwards = I think by a long shot. Trent had a very strong arm. He was just scared to use it.

wow, its amazing how clueless some are on this board, trent had a very weak "throw" his arm looked strong but he only used his forearm while throwing and never developed an over the shoulder motion. This is partly why he completely sucked...when even trying to go deep, the motion didnt have the necessary power and he would force the throw with a high powered "wrist flick" that had lttle accuracy when overdone. His long ball always looked like a long fade route type throw and I never once saw edwards rear back and heave one, and I know noone else has either, because it didnt exist. Like his fear of taking chances down the field, he also had a fear to throw like a man. Strong or not physically, his motion gave him a quick but very weak throw.

fitz has average power but drops his head to the side when he chucks it which makes him look like he "has" to put his whole body into it, this i believe is really to add velocity, not distance, since he often throws deep and mid range balls with good power and little effort

flutie used his little arm and body for all it was worth, so much nicer to see a man use his potential rather than hide from it like a scared little girl (edwards)

Edited by loserlovers

wow, its amazing how clueless some are on this board, trent had a very weak "throw" his arm looked strong but he only used his forearm while throwing and never developed an over the shoulder motion. This is partly why he completely sucked...when even trying to go deep, the motion didnt have the necessary power and he would force the throw with a high powered "wrist flick" that had lttle accuracy when overdone. His long ball always looked like a long fade route type throw and I never once saw edwards rear back and heave one, and I know noone else has either, because it didnt exist. Like his fear of taking chances down the field, he also had a fear to throw like a man. Strong or not physically, his motion gave him a quick but very weak throw.

fitz has average power but drops his head to the side when he chucks it which makes him look like he "has" to put his whole body into it, this i believe is really to add velocity, not distance, since he often throws deep and mid range balls with good power and little effort

flutie used his little arm and body for all it was worth, so much nicer to see a man use his potential rather than hide from it like a scared little girl (edwards)

I voted Flutie, Fitz, Edwards. But QBs have different types of balls that they throw.

It's always ticked me off when people say Flutie had a weak arm. He didn't. He may not have been able to throw for great distance, but he had a "live" arm. He put very little effort in short and medium range throws. He couldn't throw for raw distance, but he could put zip on the ball.

Fitz probably has better raw distance but a little less zip in the ball than Flutie.

Edwards had no arm strength at all. No distance, power or speed.

As far as other QBs, Bledsoe had the strongest arm, plus he threw a very catchable ball. Kelly had a great arm and could really throw the ball. He got great rotation on the ball and he had a great deep ball. Kelly was, and still is, the best QB the Bills ever had.

Trent didn't lack arm strength, he lacked conviction. To act like Trent had a weak arm because you didn't like him is absurd.

The order of this list is Edwards, Fitz, Flutie...

That being said: Who do you want under center when you need to drive the field and win?

As of right now, I'd still say it's a toss up, and Edwards isn't at the party. Fitz is a smarter QB than Flutie, but Flutie was just so !@#$ing lucky.