Run Defense

Dorkington

We won the game handily... but I can't help but not be super pleased about the run defense. We looked better out there, made multiple good stops... but the Chiefs still got 6.0 yards per carry on us. That isn't going to win us games down the road...

Other than that, I have zero complaints about our performance. :D Which is an awesome feeling!

We won the game handily... but I can't help but not be super pleased about the run defense. We looked better out there, made multiple good stops... but the Chiefs still got 6.0 yards per carry on us. That isn't going to win us games down the road...

OK, the Chiefs did break a couple of long runs on us. Looking at the big picture, though, last year's top rushing team was held to ~100 yds, only 4 1st downs by rushing, and only 13 carries for those <100 rushing yards. (And if I don't mistake, several of those runs came only after we had racked up the score and the backups were in)

Meaning they couldn't put drives together. It seems to me that we can indeed win games down the road if we keep this up - breaking a few big runs is not going to hurt us if we don't let them become a sustained drive, no?

Other than that, I have zero complaints about our performance. :D Which is an awesome feeling!

I hear that!

I understand your view on the 6.0 per run by the Chiefs. But that stat is a not indicative of the game or the situations. i think the Chiefs broke off like two draw plays for about 20 yards per at heading to the end of the 2nd quarter. You could think o those draw plays as kinda pass plays if that makes any sense. The bills were up by 3 scores and sat back in D. The rush D today was super solid. Very disciplined in each of the player assignments and very very physical at the line of scrimmage / point of attack. Very promising run D and a good sign of better things to come.

Love what the Bills did overall today. I think the run defense is much improved but needs to (and will IMO) just be more consistent about not giving up the big runs. KC's rushes today: 18 total. 14 for 37 yards and a 2.6 average - but the other 4 rushes went for 71 yards and and a 17.8 average. Again, looking at in context of the score and the nature/design of those runs, I am not going to be overly critical. I am ecstatic about how the team played today and I do think they will get more consistent in the run defense...they are already head and shoulders above what I saw the last couple of years. They played very solidly as a team from beginning to end in this game. Setting aside the W and the score (a pleasant bonus)...that is what I really have been waiting to see...

Here's hoping they continue that trend :thumbsup:

Edited by billsfan1959

Love what the Bills did overall today. I think the run defense is much improved but needs to (and will IMO) just be more consistent about not giving up the big runs. KC's rushes today: 18 total. 14 for 37 yards and a 2.6 average - but the other 4 rushes went for 71 yards and and a 17.8 average. Again, looking at in context of the score and the nature/design of those runs, I am not going to be overly critical. I am ecstatic about how the team played today and I do think they will get more consistent in the run defense...they are already head and shoulders above what I saw the last couple of years. They played very solidly as a team from beginning to end in this game. Setting aside the W and the score (a pleasant bonus)...that is what I really have been waiting to see...

I think Carrington was playing RDE on two big plays that went his way. He didn't set the edge on the first, and the second they cut inside and Barnett got tangled and just missed. If I recall correctly.

I think Carrington was playing RDE on two big plays that went his way. He didn't set the edge on the first, and the second they cut inside and Barnett got tangled and just missed. If I recall correctly.

I believe Dareus was out for the Chefs' TD drive, where the Bills gave up 2 runs for 37 yards.

This is pretty much how I feel but worded much better haha. Overall, pretty good... but we still gave up a couple long runs... almost 3x better than last year's game, I'll take it!

I believe Dareus was out for the Chefs' TD drive, where the Bills gave up 2 runs for 37 yards.

Didn't notice on the two I saw, only saw that they ran 92's way, which would've been away from Dareus anyway. I assume that will be a trend, running away from Dareus... :beer:

Hard to judge the run D when you jump out ahead like that. The best player on the colts defense at stopping the run is manning. Similarly when losing a lot last year teams didn't pass on us. Doesn't mean it was great pass d.

That said- we weren't suffocating but we were aggressive and making plays instead of just reacting which is big. Loved seeing guys hit holes. Progress.

Edited by NoSaint

but the Chiefs still got 6.0 yards per carry on us. That isn't going to win us games down the road...

Stats don't tell the story:

Charles had runs of 4, 3, 4, 22, 2, 3, 14, 5, -1 and 5.

McCluster's were 2, 23, 5 and 12.

Jones was 1, 2.

So other than four carries, the other running plays were all of 5 yards or less. The way the game unfolded, the Chiefs had to abandon the run pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see if the good job the Bills demonstrated today carries over to the Raiders game, given their solid group of big, powerful runners.

Below you will see the play by play starting in the 1st quarter for all run plays the chiefs had. Hash marks will separate the series.

1-10-KC 28 (11:37) J.Charles left end pushed ob at KC 32 for 4 yards (J.Byrd)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-10-KC 20 (8:08) J.Charles up the middle to KC 23 for 3 yards (N.Barnett).

1-10-KC 14 (6:09) J.Charles left tackle to KC 18 for 4 yards (S.Merriman).

1-10-KC 20 (:55) J.Charles left end pushed ob at KC 42 for 22 yards (B.Scott).

1-10-KC 42 (:26) (Shotgun) J.Charles up the middle to KC 42 for no gain (C.Kelsay)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd quarter

1-10-BUF 37 (13:51) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Jones up the middle to BUF 36 for 1 yard (M.Dareus).

1-10-BUF 21 (12:53) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Charles right guard to BUF 19 for 2 yards (G.Wilson).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-10 KC 18 (6:37) J.Charles right end to KC 21 for 3 yards (G.Wilson). FUMBLES (G.Wilson), RECOVERED by BUFL.

McKelvin at KC 21. L.McKelvin to KC 21 for no gain (J.Charles).

Kansas City challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #1 at 06:27.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-10-KC 19 (5:28) (Shotgun) D.McCluster up the middle to KC 21 for 2 yards (M.Dareus)

2-9-KC 31 (3:56) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.McCluster left tackle ran ob at BUF 46 for 23 yards (D.Florence).

1-10-BUF 46 (3:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Jones up the middle to BUF 44 for 2 yards (G.Wilson).

2-8-BUF 44 (2:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Charles up the middle to BUF 30 for 14 yards (J.Byrd).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd quarter

NO RUSHING ATTEMPTS

4th Quarter

1-10-KC 16 (11:43) (Shotgun) J.Charles right end to KC 21 for 5 yards (D.Batten).

1-10-KC 31 (10:37) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Charles up the middle to KC 30 for -1 yards (D.Batten).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-11-KC 19 (6:05) (No Huddle) D.McCluster up the middle to KC 24 for 5 yards (G.Wilson).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-10-KC 31 (:59) J.Battle up the middle to KC 35 for 4 yards (K.Morrison).

2-6-KC 35 (:22) (No Huddle) J.Battle right end to KC 38 for 3 yards (Sp.Johnson).

In looking at this what's amazing is they gave up 3 runs of 23,22,14 for a total of 59 yards. That means on the other 15 attempts they averaged 3.26 yards per carry.

The same goes for the passing - They had plays of 20,15,15,15,12,11,10 - For 98 yards. Out of the other 29 Pass Attempts - 15 completions they gained 21 yards.

On those pass attempts they averaged under 1 yard per attempt.

Now let's look at Drive Production ....

5 plays - ending in punt

4 plays - punt (3 and out)

10 plays - missed FG

1 play - fumble

11 plays - TD

5 plays - punt

5 plays - intercetption

6 plays - punt

5 plays - punt

2 plays - end of game

All in all I would say that is a great defensive performance.

See how the Pats do so well? Jump out to an early lead and make your opponent one dimensional. The Chiefs could have run all day, but since the Bills had a huge lead, they couldn't afford to use that much clock. If the Chiefs had grabbed the lead first, or tied the game, different story.

Stats don't tell the story:

Charles had runs of 4, 3, 4, 22, 2, 3, 14, 5, -1 and 5.

McCluster's were 2, 23, 5 and 12.

Jones was 1, 2.

So other than four carries, the other running plays were all of 5 yards or less. The way the game unfolded, the Chiefs had to abandon the run pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see if the good job the Bills demonstrated today carries over to the Raiders game, given their solid group of big, powerful runners.

Only 25% of runs being 5+ yards isn't something I write home about. I saw improvement but stat wise (and play wise) it's not fixed yet. Muuuuuch better though.

Run defense was great overall. Great players are going to get some yards. But we basically took Charles and Bowe out of the game, and if that happens, the Chiefs have nothing. The run defense was fantastic regardless of stats.

And that's what scares me about this win - honest to god good teams have more ways to hurt you. When you start talking the eagles, saints, Atlanta, jets, Baltimore, etc.... They have a lot more talent. They also don't have the drama and injuries of the team we beat today.