Chan Gailey vs. Todd Haley

ohioandy

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have leading your team?

• Chan Gailey
    • Todd Haley

I missed the last poll question but it was a good one. J. Best had a better season than Spiller based on one good week (Week One?) last year.

After that, he was injured and/or ineffective for 14-15 weeks. Then Best got concussed again this preseason. Spiller all the way on that one.

Interesting fact about Todd Haley… he is the only NFL Head Coach who has never played organized football at ANY LEVEL.

I watched the KC-St Louis preseason game in Week 3 and also the Chiefs Week 4 game against Green Bay (the game where Haley played the starters most of the game even though it was the final preseason game).

I get the sense that the players do not like Haley and I remember his big yelling matches with Kurt Warner when he was the OC in Arizona. He always looks pissed off and I think things could go bad for Haley very quickly.

My view of Haley is not dissimilar to how I felt about Josh McDaniels… arrogant, opinionated blowhard who doesn't deserve a head coaching job. Haley's lucky to work for Pioli and to have had coordinators put upon him like Gailey, Weiss, and Crennel. McDaniel OTOH had no safety net because Denver gave him total control.

I'd much rather have Gailey than Haley.

yeh, i meant Gailey too. Haley is not really much of a choice. He will not recover well from early defensive pressures and some confusion matching up with our soon to be intrigueing O packages and play calling. Todd might come unglued this time. Go Bills.

Neither.

Haley is a control freak who will be out of a job as soon as he loses more than he wins-last season was a fluke.

Chan has proven nothing other than he could take a 6 win team and win 4 games with them the next season. Even if he "improves" to 6 wins this season, we're no better off than the day he came here. When Chan gets this team to the playoffs, then I'll drink some of the Chan Kool-Aid. Until them I can't help but think of him as anything but a stopgap until we get enough talent that a good head coach will want to come here & Chan can go home.

My view of Haley is not dissimilar to how I felt about Josh McDaniels… arrogant, opinionated blowhard who doesn't deserve a head coaching job. Haley's lucky to work for Pioli and to have had coordinators put upon him like Gailey, Weiss, and Crennel. McDaniel OTOH had no safety net because Denver gave him total control.

I totally agree. McDaniel is exactly who I think of when I think of Haley.

I wonder about Haley. He fired Chan which didn't seem like a smart move. And Charlie Weis left after one year take the same job (OC) at the college level. Makes you think that Haley can't get along with his assistant coaches. Maybe a control freak? Maybe too arrogant to listen to other ideas? A lot of fans in KC don't seem to like him and I'm glad we have Gailey instead.

<br />I missed the last poll question but it was a good one. J. Best had a better season than Spiller based on one good week (Week One?) last year.<br /><br />After that, he was injured and/or ineffective for 14-15 weeks. Then Best got concussed again this preseason. Spiller all the way on that one.<br /><br />Interesting fact about Todd Haley… he is the only NFL Head Coach who has never played organized football at ANY LEVEL.<br /><br />I watched the KC-St Louis preseason game in Week 3 and also the Chiefs Week 4 game against Green Bay (the game where Haley played the starters most of the game even though it was the final preseason game).<br /><br />I get the sense that the players do not like Haley and I remember his big yelling matches with Kurt Warner when he was the OC in Arizona. He always looks pissed off and I think things could go bad for Haley very quickly.<br /><br />My view of Haley is not dissimilar to how I felt about Josh McDaniels… arrogant, opinionated blowhard who doesn't deserve a head coaching job. Haley's lucky to work for Pioli and to have had coordinators put upon him like Gailey, Weiss, and Crennel. McDaniel OTOH had no safety net because Denver gave him total control.<br /><br />I'd much rather have Gailey than Haley.<br />

I say that

Haley is so stupid, well either him or whoever decided that it was a good idea to give more carries to 32 year old Thomas Jones who averaged 3.7 ypc than arguably the best running back last year in Jamaal Charles who averaged a ridiculous 6.4. I know this because I had Charles in fantasy last year and it was soooo freaking maddening to see him sitting there getting fewer caries than Jones, dude could've had over 2000 yards!

Haley is so stupid, well either him or whoever decided that it was a good idea to give more carries to 32 year old Thomas Jones who averaged 3.7 ypc than arguably the best running back last year in Jamaal Charles who averaged a ridiculous 6.4. I know this because I had Charles in fantasy last year and it was soooo freaking maddening to see him sitting there getting fewer caries than Jones, dude could've had over 2000 yards!

I'm sure there was some method to the madness. Save Charles wheels til your ready for a deep run?

What he does with the RB's at KC is to start Jones and that is to soften up the opposing defense with Jones and then let Johnson loose on them, it also might help motivate Johnson to play better, who knows. If you look around the league most teams now have 2 featured backs to share the load as one RB takes such a beating over a 16 game schedule. This is what I was hoping Gailey would have done with Lynch and Jackson, as its what Steve Fairchild did his first year as OC in Buffalo, remember both Jackson and Lynch each rushing for over 100 yards against the Dolphins.

My vote goes to Haley for one reason, he has enough confidence in himself to hire experienced veteran NFL assistants in Charlie Weiss as OC, and Romeo Crennell as DC, 2 former NFL head coaches.(Instead of a bunch of inexperienced assistants and college coaches like Gaily did). The result of hiring those two for Haley was going from 4-12 to 10-6 last season and a Wildcard playoff spot.

But, I suppose I'll hear crap from all the homers over my choice because they prefer a guy with good sound bites then one who took his team to the playoffs. Anyway, I'm still waiting to see Gailey get more wins then the fabulous Dick Jauron

My vote goes to Haley for one reason, he has enough confidence in himself to hire experienced veteran NFL assistants in Charlie Weiss as OC, and Romeo Crennell as DC, 2 former NFL head coaches.(Instead of a bunch of inexperienced assistants and college coaches like Gaily did). The result of hiring those two for Haley was going from 4-12 to 10-6 last season and a Wildcard playoff spot.

Dave Wannstedt says, "Hello there, Harvey."

Haley got those guys because of Pioli, by the way. Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel can pick and choose from a great number of different jobs when they go down to the coordinator level. It has nothing to do with Haley's "confidence in himself."

Edited by Big Bad Boone

well...let's hold the vote until about 5 pm today. I think Gailey is going in with a "weaker" team overall, but there are a lot of intagibles here. The "weaker" team does have a very new set of personnel and combinations on defense, and at least an offense with no qb controversy and good solid preseason under their belt. If we stop the run, and I KNOW we are in a better position to do that than we were last year, and the young wide receivers step up, and Jackson has his usual very productive game we'll do okay. Gailey's game day coaching will be the big thing here, versus Haley's game day coaching.

I think I'll go with Chan, but we shall see at the end of the day.

Dave Wannstedt says, "Hello there, Harvey."

Haley got those guys because of Pioli, by the way. Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel can pick and choose from a great number of different jobs when they go down to the coordinator level. It has nothing to do with Haley's "confidence in himself."

Yea, and Dave Wannstache was hired this off season, and after last seasons disaster where the Bills proved to have the worst defense against the run in the history of the franchise. Plus it remains to be seen how effective the stache will be as asst HC and LB coach. Gailey should have fired his DC and replaced him with the stache to run the 4-3....MD at DE is lame. besides, every team wants to have the Steelers 3-4, but nobody but Pittsburgh has those Steeler LB's

Do you know this statement for a fact (have a link) or is this pure speculation on your part? Haley fired Chan Gailey (so I know he has the power to fire) after Gailey tried to run the "pistol"offense during his time as OC in KC. Thigpin threw the ball around a lot that year in losing efforts while almost ignoring the running game and going 2-14 ( sound familiar?)...even tho the team had Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles at RB.

Anyway, like I stated above. Haley has already proved to be a playoff capable head coach and improved his team every year (2-14)08 (4-12)09 (10-6)2010. It remains to be seen if Gailey can build this Bills team into a playoff team like Haley did with the Chiefs.

Anyway, like I stated above. Haley has already proved to be a playoff capable head coach and improved his team every year (2-14)08 (4-12)09 (10-6)2010. It remains to be seen if Gailey can build this Bills team into a playoff team like Haley did with the Chiefs.

So by the fact of the matter and your own free admission, Chan had twice as successful a first year with The Bills as Haley did with the Chefs.

Sweet!

I'd much rather have Gailey than Haley.

I wonder about Haley. He fired Chan which didn't seem like a smart move. And Charlie Weis left after one year take the same job (OC) at the college level. Makes you think that Haley can't get along with his assistant coaches. Maybe a control freak? Maybe too arrogant to listen to other ideas? A lot of fans in KC don't seem to like him and I'm glad we have Gailey instead.

Haley didn't "have [Gailey] put upon him" by Pioli. Pioli had nothing to do with hiring Gailey--- Pioli and Haley fired Gailey. So Haley had no "safety net". Crennel's top choice seemed to be KC. The Giants didn't interview him and the Skins hired someone else instead.

He was a new coach with a new GM who wanted to bring in their own guys. What's your beef? Pioli obviously didn't have a problem with it and he's a bright guy, no? Crennel seemed to be a good choice--the number of points surrendered by the KC D went from 424 to 326 in a year.

The irony, of course, is seen in the 2 nobodies who Gailey picked as coordinators his first year---acting as his own OC and not even bothering to bring an experienced guy to implement a new defensive scheme Chan demanded.

That's not arrogance?