Going to my first NASCAR race Saturday

stevestojan

Loved going to the Richmond races, and I also don't fully understand NASCAR, nor do I follow a driver, although I will root for midlothians Denny Hamlin. Go during the day to take in the rv lots and all the tailgating, people watch as much as possible. It's a great time....enjoy!

Went to the Richmond race about 5 years ago with a bunch of friends. Consider something for your ears. I was positioned near a turn and my face was full of black rubber spots after the race.

One thing I remember - I had an extra ticket and sold it outside the track to some guy for $100. He sits down next to us with a whole bunch of beer but he was already blitzed. About a half-hour later, he's passed out and remained that until waking up about 5 mins. before the race ended. I saw the exact same thing at a Bills game about a month later.

Have a good time. It's definitely memorable.

Can't understand the "sport" at all and think its completely pointless, but scored free VIP tickets with pit passes. Should be a blast if for nothing other than the people watching.

Any tips for a NASCAR newbie?

Let the redneck jokes roll!

Wear a "KYLE SUCKS" t shirt.

I got hooked after my first race...seeing the power and speed is incredible in person.

Ditto on the ear protection - the first thing that hits your senses is the noise. Then the vivid colors, then the sheer speed once the green flag flies.

As long as you don't mind the smell of fuel and rubber, it's actually a pretty cool spectacle - you may even get hooked.

Earplugs are a nice suggestion...I've never used them, but I'm stubborn/stupid..that said try it without for a few minutes to really hear the power of the cars...its intense.

...and I thought rubbin was what stunted your growth..

If u ain't first...yer last

Thanks y'all guys.

I'll be sure to pick up some earplugs.

I'll also be sure to take some pictures of any really nice tail cars.

Rubbin is Racin. Thanks again.

Edited by The Poojer

I've been to several Cup races (Chicagoland) and one Nationwide race (Gateway, outside St. Louis) while I was a photographer in TV news. It was pretty cool to be around/interview some of the guys I watched on TV: Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Is your Pit Pass a Hot Pass or Cold Pass? Hot Passes allow you into the garage while practice/racing is happening; keep your head on a swivel if you're in the garage during Hot segments, as the cars just fly in and out during practice. Kyle Busch almost clipped me during Brickyard 400 practice when he was still at Hendrick a few years ago (my fault, not his). It's not as exciting to be in the garage during the race since most cars are on the track. My guess is you have a Cold Pass, as you have tickets for VIP to watch the race from a suite. When you go to the Garage, be sure to stop by the trailers for some of the drivers. They usually have driver cards (about the size of a regular sheet of paper) and you can get the drivers to sign them- although some people abuse this and grab a whole bunch to be signed and place them on eBay.

Also, most drivers have a merchandise trailer outside the track. I know Tony Stewart (my favorite driver) is selling special merchandise (shirts, die-casts) that compliment his paint scheme this weekend that pays tribute to 9/11. In fact, many of the cars will have special paint schemes Saturday night, so they may have some merchandise at the trailers that show off their schemes. When Talladega Nights came out they had a merchandise trailer for the movie at Chicagoland (they also had a press conference in the Media Center with the stars of the movie: Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Leslie Bibb, Michael Clarke Duncan) and I bought a Ricky Bobby Wonder Bread Racing t-shirt.

Hope you have fun Saturday night! It's going to be wild with so many drivers still fighting to make the Chase for the Cup; Richmond is the last race before the Chase begins at Chicagoland next week, so the pressure is on for many teams.

Just remember to lop off 10 IQ points before walking into the track,

To assist your favorite driver, try to get as close to the track and hold up a large sign that imprinted with "TURN LEFT" he will thank you for your efforts.

Steve,

I have only been twice.. and not in 5 years..but damn it's a great tailgate!! Race i can take or leave, but the party is awesome. #1 thing is heed the ear protection rule..if not you will not be hearing correctly for 3 days

As someone else mentioned, make sure to go the RV lots. The Downer could get some talent from there for sure..no need for dollar bills, but some plastic beads to hand out like at Madri Gras never gunna hurt when you ask em to "show me your ".

Alos, get a small soft sided, clear cooler..you are allowed to bring in beers. Can't remember the exact size limit, but one that fits about a six pack is the right size. Not sure what a VIP ticket is, and if you get free beer or are going with clients etc, but beers are expensive on site. Been a few years since I have been, so check the RIR site to make sure this is still the case.

Also, walk around the track a bit once the race is happening..kinda cool walking around and people watching etc.Getting right up close the the track is really cool.

Last advice, get the hell out of dodge with about 30-50 laps to go..traffic out of there is freaking brutal. If you are going back to VA Beach and wait till the end..my guess is you will be lucky to get home at 3am..and will prolly be closer to 4.

2 tips:

Get the track headset for the race. It'll cut down on the noise and you can hear all the radios and discussion between drivers and pit crew.

Find your way down by the fence for a lap or 2 as the cars go by. There's nothing like it. They won't let you stand at the fence, but you can be "walking" through when they go by.