Going to my first NASCAR race Saturday

stevestojan

As someone else mentioned, make sure to go the RV lots. The Downer could get some talent from there for sure..no need for dollar bills, but some plastic beads to hand out like at Madri Gras never gunna hurt when you ask em to "show me your ".

I though at NASCAR it was "POP YOUR HOOD"

This is my first post on the site so go easy on me.

I have been attending the Talladega and Charlotte races over 20 years and I usually witness a different act of stupidity every time. NASCAR fans are a different bunch, and I should no I am one, so going to see the people watching the race is worth the price of admission usually. That being said I agree with everyone's comments so far. I have never been to Richmond but if its anything remotely close to the atmosphere at Talledaga you will enjoy it. I don't agree with the people that say once you see a race in person you are hooked, its entertaining but not life changing by any means. Getting to go in the garage area is a interesting thing, if you are a car person then you should enjoy it, try to check out pre-race inspection too.

I was lucky enough to attend my fisrt Bills game in Buffalo last year and get the priveldge of going to the Philly game this year, and I must say NASCAR races have nothing on the experience of a home Bills game. My wife and I liked it so much we kicked the Talladega fall race to the curb for a home Bills game every year, now I just have to talk her into one in December. Being from So. Illinois I would imagine the weather difference would be a shock to the senses. Thats enough rambling, enjoy the race and Go Bills.

for the cost of good tickets, parking and a few beers i'd trade the raceday experience for an actual racing experience. richard petty owns a traveling operation where you can drive actual nascar cars on the tracks. i did it at bristol with a bunch of other guys. had a pool for fastest lap (which unfortunately, i didn't win). i think my fastest lap was about 105mph. there is a pace car in front of you and he won't let you go all out unless he's confident you can handle it. there was also a car taking riders but driven by a pro on the track at the same time. he was going significantly faster i remember that day in much greater detail than any race i ever went to. pretty sure they do it in charlotte and a couple other tracks as well.

Thanks again for all the input/advice.

I live in Va Beach, about 2 hours from the track, and 2 hours and 2 minutes from the hotel I'm staying at - so those who advised to leave early to beat traffic and/or the drunk drivers, I planned ahead for that. I may leave early out of boredom as I'm really going for the pre-game festivities.

I'll let all y'all know how it goes :)

Thanks again for all the input/advice.

I live in Va Beach, about 2 hours from the track, and 2 hours and 2 minutes from the hotel I'm staying at - so those who advised to leave early to beat traffic and/or the drunk drivers, I planned ahead for that. I may leave early out of boredom as I'm really going for the pre-game festivities.

I'll let all y'all know how it goes :)

Stop at Colonial Downs on the way up and make a few wagers. Good on you for the hotel...you will have a blast, but I would put $20 on you leaving early!

didn't see it all, but early on it was entertaining as hell...and happy to see, Midlothian's own, Denny Hamlin secure his spot in the chase!

Well. If you didn't enjoy that race then NASCAR isn't for you. That was, hands down, the most entertaining race of the year!

Hope you enjoyed it.

didn't see it all, but early on it was entertaining as hell...and happy to see, Midlothian's own, Denny Hamlin secure his spot in the chase!

I was waiting for the Jimmy Johnson v. Kurt Busch to rear its ugly head during the Chase celebration post race. It didn't, but I did like to see NASCAR parking Vickers, and Johnson both for rough driving in their respective retaliations. I am glad that Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman made it in. They have a lot of work ahead of them. Tony needs to get his mean streak back.

I also don't fully understand NASCAR... But I like the Tide car... Makes me want to buy Tide detergent.

;)

Me?

I went to a store in Pembroke Pines and the clerk said (I am not making this up), "Can I hell joo?" ph34r.gif

@ work a lot of the river pilots are from down south... Sometimes trying to figure out what they are saying is a real chore. Many times I am tempted to say: "Get the !@#$ing marbles out of your mouth!" Yeah, like I should talk... I am like Mr. Yankee motormouth to them.

The Pit Pass was awesome. Got some amazing pictures. The VIP tent was cool, free beer and food. As it was 9/10, the pre-race ceremony was touching and not overdone. As for the race? I honestly don't know how people sit through it. Wait, yes I do. They allow you to bring your own booze in. But my god talk about boring. I was with my girlfriend who said after 10 laps "Theres 390 more laps....". She was a great sport, but after the first excitement of "hearing the power" of the cars, and the first 20 laps with a bunch of crashes, I was bored out of my mind. Couldn't hear a thing and the fact that it's cars going in an oval over and over.... and over... doesnt change because you're there live. It was worth the experience, no doubt, but that will be my last race.

The Pit Pass was awesome. Got some amazing pictures. The VIP tent was cool, free beer and food. As it was 9/10, the pre-race ceremony was touching and not overdone. As for the race? I honestly don't know how people sit through it. Wait, yes I do. They allow you to bring your own booze in. But my god talk about boring. I was with my girlfriend who said after 10 laps "Theres 390 more laps....". She was a great sport, but after the first excitement of "hearing the power" of the cars, and the first 20 laps with a bunch of crashes, I was bored out of my mind. Couldn't hear a thing and the fact that it's cars going in an oval over and over.... and over... doesnt change because you're there live. It was worth the experience, no doubt, but that will be my last race.

Road courses like Watkins Glen help add some variety - like an occasional right turn B-)

While I like NASCAR, I'm a much bigger fan of open wheel racing like IndyCar and particularly F1 - the most sophisticated racing machines on the planet, and the hottest supermodel babes chasing the filthy-rich young drivers, even richer team owners, and celebrity fans. The drivers are more skillful as well. (Take the fenders off those NASCAR machines and I guarantee you wouldn't see all that contact - the bumpin' and the rubbin' - because the cars would be airborne in an instant.) Save for the Indy 500, the races are usually much shorter too - fewer laps for IndyCar when they do race on ovals, and time limits in Formula One.

Now that you've experience NASCAR, try an IndyCar road-course - or, better yet, a street-course like Toronto or Long Beach where they shut down the city and run the cars right on the same streets folks drive on every day. (Long Beach is great fun - perfect SoCal weather and lots of gorgeous SoCal women!)

I also don't fully understand NASCAR... But I like the Tide car... Makes me want to buy Tide detergent.

;)

You damned-well better - big money in those NASCAR marketing campaigns, as I'm sure you know...

Edited by The Senator