Joe Ferguson

jack_spikes

Oh yes, especially for a guy probably smaller than Drew Brees. He had a strong arm and took a lot of punishment, but only had one serious injury (cracked vertebra that cost him half of the '76 season). He was a gamer.

If he had not severely sprained his ankle in 1981 I think that team could have gone on and won the superbowl.

youtube.com/watch?v=mWkAMJ-eMB4&feature=feedrec watching this highlight you can see that Joe Ferguson had a cannon for an arm.

Watching that makes it hard to remember that at the start of his career he mostly handed off to OJ. And wow, was Cribbs a lot like Thurman ... Before there was a Thurman.

I remember that game, watched it at home with my Dad at a time we weren't getting along about anything. I liked Fergy, giant improvement over Dennis Shaw lol. He really did have a good arm, threw too hard (James Harris hard) on short passes for the first 3 seasons. He did improve but always got down when he made a mistake, when he threw a bad ball or 2 and that head went down you could just feel the doom. Too bad, he had the tools and the team around him.

Edited by bowery4

youtube.com/watch?v=mWkAMJ-eMB4&feature=feedrec watching this highlight you can see that Joe Ferguson had a cannon for an arm.

Thank you for posting this. We are a short window of winning football under Chuck Knox. Nice to see a QB who could throw the ball, get protection etc. As someone else stated here, Cribbs was Thurman before there was a Thurman. The uniforms were great. Great receivers in Butler, and Lewis. That first win in Miami was special.

Everyone likes to talk about the game where ferguson and Marino combined for 800 yards. No one remembers the game where fergy and Namath combined for TWO completions:

http://thejetreport.us/post/3919186101/jets-history-sept-29-1974-jets-at-bills

Why do you say no one remembers? I was there...about 90 MPH winds...Regarding Fergy, really liked him but threw so many picks. He had many games where he would throw 4-5 picks...even had one against Houston in '74 where he threw 6. Not sure QBs could get away with that today.

Why do you say no one remembers? I was there...about 90 MPH winds...Regarding Fergy, really liked him but threw so many picks. He had many games where he would throw 4-5 picks...even had one against Houston in '74 where he threw 6. Not sure QBs could get away with that today.

On the other hand, he holds the record for fewest INT's in a season, with 1 -albeit an injury shortened season..

If he had not severely sprained his ankle in 1981 I think that team could have gone on and won the superbowl.

Check that, bills_fan, b/c although I could be wrong I thought I remember (maybe in Smerlas' book) that although they told people it was sprained it was actually broken going out to San Diego.

Translation: the guy has balls the size of church bells.

The way he battled his illness later in life solidified that.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts