Chan on Sirius

Heitz

Chan was just on with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon, my notes:

RG: Do you feel like you accomplished everything you want in preseason?

- Never. You do the best you can and hope you're where you need to be for the opener. We're behind in a few areas, but ahead in others.

- Ahead in personnel, behind in the little things - squib kick on a kickoff, returners handing or not handling the ball, etc.

RG: You have DeHaven one of the best special teams coaches, but there hasn't been much learning time (because of lock out), does that affect you?

- We're concerned about the young guys on the kick team, they just haven't done it in an NFL game. We're going to have young guys and you hope they can execute without all of the normal reps

- It was interesting, almost all of our injuries this year were with rookies, they just didn't know standard NFL prep

AS: Why did you trade Lee Evans

- Anytime you look, you're trying to upgrade. To say that Lee wasn't good would be a lie - he was. But someone made us an offer and we feel we have young players we can depend on. We looked long term rather than just this year.

AS: Who will step up at WR this year?

- I think it's going to be the entire group. SJ had a break-out last year, Roscoe can plan well (needs to make it through a whole season), Nelson played well and Jones can be a good player long-term too.

RG: CJ Spiller, where has he improved and what's his role?

- His role is specialty plays for now, until he really gets blocking down (it's improved, but not quite there)

AS: what's your comfort level with the O line in week one?

- I feel good, we're better than we were at the end of last season. We're more solid and physical.

RG: you open with the top two running teams how do you stop them?

- That's our number one priority going into this year solidifying the Run D. Need to stop the run or we won't win. It's going to be a challenge - keep them off the edge, don't leave them one on one.

AS: Is playing KC personal?

- It's not personal against Haily, but because he was fired by KC, there's a little more motivation

RG: Crowd noise at arrowhead is tough, what have you done to prepare?

- Practiced with noise, worked on silent count

AS: Brad Smith is a winner, great guy, how will you use him?

- wildcat, receiver, reverses, play special teams, kick off return, fake punts. He's a big asset for our team,

RG: Dareus, where has he improved since the draft?

- Knowledge of the game. He's smart, but being in the film room with Kyle and Dwan has helped him learn more about the tame. He's physically talented.

AS: How does Fitz take a step forward and solidity the QB for now and the future

- Hes got accuracy, knowledge, good arm (not the best), need to get rid of the bad throws - ball slipped, wrong angle coming out, threw off back foot, if he makes those not over the head, he'll / we'll be just fine

RG: You evaluated scheme and personal, what do you do for ball security?

- Protect the passer. A lot of turnovers cam in the last couple games. Need to get better.

AS: Where is the organization in such a tough division? Moves have been questioned, where are the Bills going into 2012?

- That's why we play the games. We can speculate, I can tell you we'll be undefeated, you say we'll win 4 - that's the beauty of Sunday. We strive to be perfect, but that can't always be the case. We just need to be the best that day, beat your man.

RG: Merriman and Barnett - what do you expect?

- I expect big thing, they've looked good preseason and practice and I'm excited!

- Never. You do the best you can and hope you're where you need to be for the opener. We're behind in a few areas, but ahead in others.

- Ahead in personnel, behind in the little things - squib kick on a kickoff, returners handing or not handling the ball, etc.

RG: You have DeHaven one of the best special teams coaches, but there hasn't been much learning time (because of lock out), does that affect you?

- We're concerned about the young guys on the kick team, they just haven't done it in an NFL game. We're going to have young guys and you hope they can execute without all of the normal reps

- It was interesting, almost all of our injuries this year were with rookies, they just didn't know standard NFL prep

- Anytime you look, you're trying to upgrade. To say that Lee wasn't good would be a lie - he was. But someone made us an offer and we feel we have young players we can depend on. We looked long term rather than just this year.

- I think it's going to be the entire group. SJ had a break-out last year, Roscoe can plan well (needs to make it through a whole season), Nelson played well and Jones can be a good player long-term too.

- His role is specialty plays for now, until he really gets blocking down (it's improved, but not quite there)

- I feel good, we're better than we were at the end of last season. We're more solid and physical.

- That's our number one priority going into this year solidifying the Run D. Need to stop the run or we won't win. It's going to be a challenge - keep them off the edge, don't leave them one on one.

- It's not personal against Haily, but because he was fired by KC, there's a little more motivation

- wildcat, receiver, reverses, play special teams, kick off return, fake punts. He's a big asset for our team,

- Knowledge of the game. He's smart, but being in the film room with Kyle and Dwan has helped him learn more about the tame. He's physically talented.

AS: How does Fitz take a step forward and solidity the QB for now and the future

- Hes got accuracy, knowledge, good arm (not the best), need to get rid of the bad throws - ball slipped, wrong angle coming out, threw off back foot, if he makes those not over the head, he'll / we'll be just fine

- Protect the passer. A lot of turnovers cam in the last couple games. Need to get better.

AS: Where is the organization in such a tough division? Moves have been questioned, where are the Bills going into 2012?

- That's why we play the games. We can speculate, I can tell you we'll be undefeated, you say we'll win 4 - that's the beauty of Sunday. We strive to be perfect, but that can't always be the case. We just need to be the best that day, beat your man.

- I expect big thing, they've looked good preseason and practice and I'm excited!

:worthy: thanks!!!

What is that, reason #5? :lol:

You're welcome for the notes - what can I say, hard at work today! :D

Everytime I hear Chan speak, I have nothing but optimism for the Bills. It may not always be exactly what I want to hear, but the guy is honest, if nothing...

It was funny, some of his answers were so straight-forward (like "did you accomplish everything in the offseason?" "No") that Schein busted out laughing several times.

Can we FF time to Sunday??

heard this as well driving home to Richmond from Jersey. Flicked over to Cowherd during a commercial, and he has started a survivor pool I guess. 15,000 people in it, and the # 1 pick at 21% was the KC Chiefs. Ole Colin was incredulous, saying he almost certain the Bills were going to win the game outright..

BTW, I know Gannon is doing the game, and he thinks the Bills have no chance of beating KC, should be interesting hearing his call.

Last note, at the Wegmans at Potomac Mills loading up for tailgate Saturday night for the Richmond game and Sunday for the Bills. Gunna be a lot of Sahlens, Zweigels and wings this weekend!

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Should be interesting to see where this 2011 Bills team stands...

OHH YEAH... I am so buying this. Hopefully he uses this as an added tool in the locker room toolbag and our defense smokes them.

heard this as well driving home to Richmond from Jersey. Flicked over to Cowherd during a commercial, and he has started a survivor pool I guess. 15,000 people in it, and the # 1 pick at 21% was the KC Chiefs. Ole Colin was incredulous, saying he almost certain the Bills were going to win the game outright..

BTW, I know Gannon is doing the game, and he thinks the Bills have no chance of beating KC, should be interesting hearing his call.

Last note, at the Wegmans at Potomac Mills loading up for tailgate Saturday night for the Richmond game and Sunday for the Bills. Gunna be a lot of Sahlens, Zweigels and wings this weekend!

No s***! I didn't think there was a Wegmans this far south!!!!! I'm ignorant :P Wish it has Over the Middle wing sauce :cry:

I just put in a request for OTM Sauce down here... they snuck a Wegmans in Hunt Valley in on me. <_<

Edited by BmoreBills

They've been saying all along that they traded him because they wanted to give the younger guys playing time.

And then they proceeded to cut some of those young guys.

At least Chan admitted that the team will not be as good without Evans. His mention of the "future" means that Bills are still in building mode. Again, that would be no problem, if they also didn't come out and say that they want to be competitive this year.

Can't have it both ways.