The only thing that will fix our offensive line is.....

White Linen

..... excellent QB play and great play calling. This line will look as good as Fitzpatrick plays and Chan's game plan.

I think there's more than one way to make an offense work despite having a good offensive line. I for one am optimistic Chan and Fitz can get it done, and I'm not just talking blind faith fandom. I think our offense is set up for quick decisions in the passing game and we have a running back in Fred Jackson that seems to always make the right first decision.

Our offensive line isn't good enough for a back like Spiller to succeed, he needs space. Our line isn't good enough for a medium to deep passing game, hence it doesn't fit well for a guy like Evans. We need good route runners, sure handed, tough receivers.

The biggest question mark I have for our offense to succeed is our receiving core not the line. Our offense is going to be about quick routes, balanced play calling, gadget stuff (wildcat), and a QB unafraid to throw in tight windows. If we execute properly the line will look a lot better than it actually is.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our offensive line isn't good enough for a back like Spiller to succeed, he needs space. Our line isn't good enough for a medium to deep passing game, hence it doesn't fit well for a guy like Evans. We need good route runners, sure handed, tough receivers.

So does that mean it is easier to draft and acquire other players than good line men? I generally agree with with your post BTW but we have had chances to pick up better linemen IMO too.

[

So does that mean it is easier to draft and acquire other players than good line men? I generally agree with with your post BTW but we have had chances to pick up better linemen IMO too.

I don't think we drafted outside of o lineman because it's easier. I just think our defense was such a sieve that was the priority. It's nearly impossible to fix both lines in one full off season and a shortened one. They did a heck of a job with the defense and the offense line was attempted in free agency but it didn't work out. Nix and Gailey aren't stupid, it's obvious they know the o line is their weakest point. And my point is for this year they are tailoring the attack knowing the line is weak.

..... excellent QB play and great play calling. This line will look as good as Fitzpatrick plays and Chan's game plan.

I think there's more than one way to make an offense work despite having a good offensive line. I for one am optimistic Chan and Fitz can get it done, and I'm not just talking blind faith fandom. I think our offense is set up for quick decisions in the passing game and we have a running back in Fred Jackson that seems to always make the right first decision.

The biggest question mark I have for our offense to succeed is our receiving core not the line. Our offense is going to be about quick routes, balanced play calling, gadget stuff (wildcat), and a QB unafraid to throw in tight windows. If we execute properly the line will look a lot better than it actually is.

If the preseason is any indication, I get the impression Gailey agrees with you. I saw none of the timing patterns from last season where Fitz is under center and the drops are timed to the routes and the ball gets out "on time." You need a reliable O Line for that.

I also saw more screens than usual, another way to slow down the pass rush when you aren't confident in your O Line to sustain blocks.

But what I saw most of is Fitz operating out of the shotgun and our offense looking more like a pre and post snap "read" offense. We see that with NE, Indy, GB, Atlanta and other teams with QBs who can read a defense and make it pay. It looks like Gailey is giving Fitz a lot of leeway. I think he's up to it mentally, but I worry Fitz doesn't have the kind of accuracy to fully take advantage of what a defense gives on a consistent basis.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't get me wrong...I think we are in need of some upgrades but my biggest O-line concern is the push when we need to run the ball. As stated the pass protection can be helped with short quick patterns but there aren't any play calls to help them line up and push the D-line back on 3rd and 1.

No flames from here, I agree with you! Whenever they looked good last year it was the same story. Innovative play calling made the whole offense look good. Let hope that Gailey and Fitz have it in them week in and week out. What's often frustrating is the inconsistency. They're taking on the Steelers one week ready to knock them off in OT and then another week they look lackluster and mediocre exposing the inadequacies of the team.

Can Gailey and the coaches be as consistent as what they're asking of the players??

[

I don't think we drafted outside of o lineman because it's easier. I just think our defense was such a sieve that was the priority. It's nearly impossible to fix both lines in one full off season and a shortened one. They did a heck of a job with the defense and the offense line was attempted in free agency but it didn't work out. Nix and Gailey aren't stupid, it's obvious they know the o line is their weakest point. And my point is for this year they are tailoring the attack knowing the line is weak.

Plus our OL wasn't really the problem last year it was our defense if we stay healthy the Bills are going to make a lot of people eat their words. GO BILLS!!!

Excellent point - Chan is the innovator and will work with what he has at his disposal. With defensive improvement this season and building the offensive line next - this team is on the right track. This will be fun to watch...my prediction is that we will beat the Pats - Jets and Fins at least once each!

Go Bills!!!

Don't get me wrong...I think we are in need of some upgrades but my biggest O-line concern is the push when we need to run the ball. As stated the pass protection can be helped with short quick patterns but there aren't any play calls to help them line up and push the D-line back on 3rd and 1.

I agree, our Oline actually did pretty well last year on passing plays but those 3rd and 1 runs might be an issue

Sounds like picking Spiller instead of an OL like Bulaga was a mistake then, NO?

I'll address that two ways and both are no to your question. I just don't get the theory of we should have drafted a guy that went 23rd with the 9th pick. You could say that about every pick after yours in every round for every draft pick that doesn't work out. Plus you want us to draft a right tackle with the 9th overall pick? He went where a right tackle should go. Let's get another thing straight, Bulaga isn't that good. And even if he is how would you know, do you watch every Packer game and concentrate on the right side of the offensive line?

Lastly, let's wait a bit longer before we judge Spiller. Good Lord he was a rookie last year with two starting RB's already on the team. The line couldn't block for Jackson and Lynch let alone a fledgling rookie trying to learn an NFL offense, learn blocking assignments, and basically learn how to run like an NFL back. People forget that it takes time for guys like Spiller that ran free and could get away with stoping and starting in College because their overwhelming talent allowed them to.

I think you are right. Nix has said that rebuilding the defense had to be the priority. Chix knew they had to fix the Offensive Line, too, but they ran out of draft picks and didn't see enough in free agency that they liked. Gailey is figuring ways to move the ball and score despite not having a good line. He'd be a fool if he was doing anything else.

Screens, quick timing routes, wildcat... anything to keep the defense on their toes or at least get the ball out of Fitz's hand quickly. Sacks are bad enough by themselves. Sacks & pressure are often accompanied by fumbles & INTs.