Mike Jasper, RT

Choose All That Apply  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What's the real gouge on Mike Jasper switch to OL

• Chix and Nailey planned this all along.
    • He bombed as potential NFL NT, last chance
    • A sign of desperation on the OL for the Bills

(Poll Pick all that apply)

OK, my jaw was on the floor. Jasper practicing with the OL.

Gailey telling the media they think he's got a better future as an OL.

Couldn't they tell this when they drafted him? Or at camp?

Why have the poor guy learn the defensive playbook and work on D-fence all camp if you honestly think he's best suited to his college position, OL?

I doan get it.

One theory is that our coaches were "hiding" him from other teams by keeping him at NT. In this scenario, Chix and Nailey are crazy like foxes.

Another theory is that they felt he really bombed as a NT and this is his second chance - bomb as an OL and it's back to Tennessee, boy.

A third theory is that the Bills are so desperate at OL that any body will do.

What's your theory? Vote here.

Total and utter sign of OL desperation.....trying to see if there's ANY value they can squeeze out of him outside of practice squad. Come on with the hidden genius of Chix suggestions already....had that been the case, they would have put him with the OL at the start of camp.

It's the PS. Why not give some freaklishly large, athletic guy a chance? I think the odds are against the guy turning in to a true NFL player at any position. I also thought that when they drafted him. You take chances in the 7th round. You also have guys on your practice squad that are raw. This guy gets more press than any other 7th rounder we've drafted. He's not taking a roster spot and salary cap space. Why have such a strong opinion against the guy?

I just think they see what a great athlete the guy is for his size and they're giving him some time to develop. I don't think it's desperation on their part. By the time he would be ready the verdict will be out on Chan, good or bad.

It's the PS. Why not give some freaklishly large, athletic guy a chance? I think the odds are against the guy turning in to a true NFL player at any position. I also thought that when they drafted him. You take chances in the 7th round. You also have guys on your practice squad that are raw. This guy gets more press than any other 7th rounder we've drafted. He's not taking a roster spot and salary cap space. Why have such a strong opinion against the guy?

I just think they see what a great athlete the guy is for his size and they're giving him some time to develop. I don't think it's desperation on their part. By the time he would be ready the verdict will be out on Chan, good or bad.

:thumbsup:

And Nix has some history drafting freakish large, athletic guys (Jamie Nails)...

Offensive lineman Jamie Nails packed 354 pounds on his 6-6 frame when the Bills drafted him in 1997. But he weighed 387 at the combine following his senior year at Florida A&M. The Bills wanted him to report to camp at 340. Nix, who was the Bills' Southeast scout at the time, said of Nails' weight loss: "It's kinda like throwing a lawn chair off the Titanic. It don't take much to lose 40 or 50 pounds when you're that big."

It is believed Nails topped the 400-pound mark in college, but never pushed 450 like Jasper did. Nails also wasn't the athlete Jasper is.

"This is an amazing kid, now," Nix said. "He vertical jumps 32 inches and he long jumps like 9-5 and he dunks a basketball with both hands. His body fat is not real high. He's an exceptional athlete. We would've signed him as a free agent so we just drafted him and didn't have to go after him, and we're going to see if he can play."

Link - Jasper's a heavy-duty investment

I have no problem with Jasper whatsoever, I hoped and prayed he would be that load in the middle other teams will not dare try to run at. Jury is still out and I will continue to be a fan. He's young and raw and unique...so it's up to our coaching staff to make him a pro. I hope he becomes a 2-way wrecking ball...

My issue is this constant notion that is used to validate the things we do that would otherwise be considered "questionable" to put it lightly. This notion that Chan and Bud have this secret and genius plan and if you give it enough years, you'll see just what genius is....till then you cannot criticize.

The "desperation" comment I made was towards our OL depth....there's nothing genius about the way that has been addressed (or not)

Sorry just not a blue kool aid drinking happy horse sh-t 10-6 guy at the moment.

Jasper has talent but to expect him to beat the guys ahead of him was just too much to ask. We have some serious talent on the Defensive Line and no kid from Bethel is going to crack that lineup. But the talent is there. Gailey recognized it and recognized his effort. Gailey is simply compelled to do something with him.

I really think there is a tendency here on the TSW to read too much into coaching decisions. Jasper did well enough to gain the coaches respect, but not well enough to beat Williams, Troupe or Heard. By the way, Heard has been playing like his hair is on fire and is very noticeably better than last year.

I didn't vote in the poll because none of the answers there are quite accurate. It was fun to speculate though :thumbsup:

(Poll Pick all that apply)

OK, my jaw was on the floor. Jasper practicing with the OL.

Gailey telling the media they think he's got a better future as an OL.

Couldn't they tell this when they drafted him? Or at camp?

Why have the poor guy learn the defensive playbook and work on D-fence all camp if you honestly think he's best suited to his college position, OL?

I doan get it.

One theory is that our coaches were "hiding" him from other teams by keeping him at NT. In this scenario, Chix and Nailey are crazy like foxes.

Another theory is that they felt he really bombed as a NT and this is his second chance - bomb as an OL and it's back to Tennessee, boy.

A third theory is that the Bills are so desperate at OL that any body will do.

What's your theory? Vote here.

Why does this sound like Jason Peters Version 2.0 to me???

Edited by mattsox

Jasper played on the o-line in college, he has the size to be a NT in the NFL, and I think the FO decided they wanted to see what he could do as a potential NT first in training camp and pre-season. Since he wasn't able to beat out the current players at NT, they have switched him back to what he has played since it should be much easier and quicker for him to get back to playing o-line and provide them some Tackle depth, and maybe try him again at NT next offseason when they will have more time with OTA's and mini camps.

Jasper played on the o-line in college, he has the size to be a NT in the NFL, and I think the FO decided they wanted to see what he could do as a potential NT first in training camp and pre-season. Since he wasn't able to beat out the current players at NT, they have switched him back to what he has played since it should be much easier and quicker for him to get back to playing o-line and provide them some Tackle depth, and maybe try him again at NT next offseason when they will have more time with OTA's and mini camps.

And I would bet Heard's play in the pre-season also was a factor in this move. With his development, there is room to experiment with Jasper.

Well, whatever prompted it, I thinks its a good try--nothing to lose and everything to gain.

And I would bet Heard's play in the pre-season also was a factor in this move. With his development, there is room to experiment with Jasper.

Well, whatever prompted it, I thinks its a good try--nothing to lose and everything to gain.

well, on the practice squad they could still experiment with him on as a NT, but if the FO really wants to get him onto the game day roster, this is probably the best and quickest way to get him there

I vote none of the above. If he "bombed" so bad then why did they add him to the PS? There is no cover up of failure here. They didn't have time to work with Jasper as an O-line project during camp when they are evaluating other players. Now that he is on PS the Bills have the luxury of working him out. If there were OTAs this year I bet this would have happened sooner.

PTR